Acer Aspire 5 A515-52G and older OSs is anyone managed drivers to get at least the touchpad working?

Options
da_someone
da_someone Member Posts: 12 New User
edited November 2022 in Aspire Laptops
"Just like it's predecessor, Acer Aspire 5 A515-52G is a great laptop. The only difference is a better CPU!". That's what I was thinking while buying this laptop. I regret it. This is a Windows 10 only laptop and that's for sure. The dgpu inside this laptop (MX130 in my case) is THE WORST POSSIBLE edition of this gpu with 2gb of vram instead of 4 and no compatibility with Windows 8.1 and older, the same thing goes with the wireless adapter and the touchpad. Windows 7 was and still is my favorite OS and I'd love to install it on my laptop, but sadly, no CSM and drivers make it impossible to even boot it. Windows 8.1 is the only logical option here (because after replacing some files, installing aero glass and Windows 7 themes it looks and feels just like windows 7)and because it at least boots from this laptop. But the problem is, the device manager doesn't even detect my touchpad, any modded chipset/touchpad drivers just don't work and NVidia drivers that were made for Windows 7/8/8.1 just say that "This driver wasn't made for this edition of Windows" and that "The setup couldn't find any compatible hardware". Force installing didn't help (error 37). No custom drivers on the internet. No options in bios. My question is, has anyone managed to make custom drivers to get at least the touchpad working? Thanks.
[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    Try downloading and installing iobit's Driver Booster freeware driver tool to see if it picks up anything on line to get it working.

Jack E/NJ

• da_someone
    Options
    IOBit Driver Booster also found Acer Airplane Mode Controller driver which in fact should be 100% compatible with my system, but somehow ended up with error 37. 
  • JackE
    Options
    Nvidia, Intel and/or atheros drivers probably exist for older hardware designed around Win8x and earlier WinVers that should give the newer hardware most but not all of the functionality of their Win10 drivers. The problem is trying to identify which ones with freeware driver tools. I suggest that you next try DriverPack's freeware which often picks up stuff that only DriverBooster paid edition finds. There are other freeware driver tools found on this link that might also work. It's a trial & error process trying to force fit newer hardware to run properly under older OSs.

Jack E/NJ

• da_someone
    Options
    JackE said:
    Nvidia, Intel and/or atheros drivers probably exist for older hardware designed around Win8x and earlier WinVers that should give the newer hardware most but not all of the functionality of their Win10 drivers. The problem is trying to identify which ones with freeware driver tools. I suggest that you next try DriverPack's freeware which often picks up stuff that only DriverBooster paid edition finds. There are other freeware driver tools found on this link that might also work. It's a trial & error process trying to force fit newer hardware to run properly under older OSs.

I did some research on the drivers and used lots of software like driver booster, drivereasy driverpack etc. but none of them succeded. I also didn’t find any working intel chipset drivers. The network card is an Intel Wireless AC9560 160mHz which sadly doesn’t support any OSs older than Windows 10 and that have been proved by comunity and intel itself. All realtek devices like speakers and card readers work perfectly fine with the newest drivers. About NVidia, I’ve tried ALL VERSIONS of the official drivers, some modded ones, some modified by myself but sadly none of them worked (Windows found drivers for your hardware but failed to initialize them (or something like that)). Thank you for trying to help me but some things just aren’t possible. This laptop doesn’t support Windows 8.1 and earlier. 
  • JackE
    Options
    You can always change the wifi card to an earlier version compatible with Win8x and earlier Windows versions. Wifi cards are very cheap these days so there are many possibilities.

Jack E/NJ

• da_someone
    Options
    JackE said:
    You can always change the wifi card to an earlier version compatible with Win8x and earlier Windows versions. Wifi cards are very cheap these days so there are many possibilities.
    The adapter that I wanted to buy is Intel Wireless AC9260 which is the last one that supports older OSs like Win8.1, 8 or even 7. But it costs like 20-30 Euros and I'm not sure if it'll be compatible with my laptop. I currently have Intel Wireless AC 9560 and want to switch to AC 9260. Could you please tell me if it is or how to check it?
  • da_someone
    Options
    Or really any Bual Band 8xxx series
  • JackE
    Options
    The 9260 and 3168 should work but not 100% guaranteed. The main problem is that your trying to force fit a newer wifi card that relies on a newer mainboard that in turn relies on Win10 --  not earlier windows versions ---  for full functionality. In other  words, you're in uncharted and untested territory.  I suggest that you purchase from a vendor with a good returns policy in case it doesn't work out.

Jack E/NJ

• rezidiaz93
    rezidiaz93 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

for complete driver and software that always uptodate, you can find it fastly using this website https://www.kitasipil.com/