Brightness and sRGB for Nitro 5 AN515-45 Ref.NH.QBCEK.00D??

Options
BHBH
BHBH Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
Hi, does anyone know the panel in this

Acer Nitro 5 Gaming Laptop | AN515-45 | Black
Ref.NH.QBCEK.00D

It just says:
39.6 cm (15.6") Full HD (1920 x 1080) 16:9 IPS 144 Hz
But what's the brightness (in nits or cd/m2) and % of of sRGB (or NTSC) coverage.

The marketing says "300 nits", but I'm sure it's for the quoted 
"FHD at 360Hz or QHD at 165Hz.." which isn't in this model's specs.

Not sure how to read the model number and if the ref code after it means something about the configuration.

This seems to be maybe the basis of the system "Nitro 5 AN515-45-R1RY Gaming Notebook"
as noted in the Package contents

Thanks for your help!!

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sorry, this model could have any one of the following screens installed from the factory. Accordingly, you should assume typical 250 nits

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sorry, this model could have any one of the following screens installed from the factory. Accordingly, you should assume typical 250 nits

Jack E/NJ

• BHBH
    Options
    JackE said:

Wow!! thanks a lot,
    very interesting,
    so maybe that's why the they don't list detailed specs because don't expect or guarantee the higher level characteristics.

Out of curiosity, how do you find out this kind of information when searching for laptops though, since even Acer support, the people tasked with selling the laptops, don't even seem to know anything.

I search meticulously, cross-referencing reviews, googling this and that, but couldn't find such helpful information.

Anyway, thanks so much for you help.
    In the future if I need a new laptop, I know I can rely on such knowledgeable people as yourself in these forums😀

• JackE
    Options
    >>>how do you find out this kind of information when searching for laptops though,>>>

Sorry, likely only through the specific machine's serial number id (SNID). But releasing specific SNIDs on line is discouraged by the manufacturer.

Jack E/NJ

• BHBH
    Options
    JackE said:

One last reassuring question:
    So all these are 40 pin compatible, 
    size & mount compatible and 
    the screen software/firmware will be compatible with the system for changing brightness, 
    is that correct??

Decisions decisions😄

• JackE
    Options
    Not correct. Another complication for you. A 30-pin 60Hz video cable part no. 50.Q7KN2.011. And 40-pin 144Hz video cable part no. 50.Q7KN2.012.

This model seems to have the 30-pin for FHD@60Hz. I think your earlier post on FHD@360Hz and QHD@165Hz are either misprints or errors.

Jack E/NJ

• BHBH
    Options
    JackE said:
    Not correct. Another complication for you. A 30-pin 60Hz video cable part no. 50.Q7KN2.011. And 40-pin 144Hz video cable part no. 50.Q7KN2.012.

This model seems to have the 30-pin for FHD@60Hz. I think your earlier post on FHD@360Hz and QHD@165Hz are either misprints or errors.

(ok let's try posting this post in parts)

I managed to match some of the screens on this extensive site:
    panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=47648,37089,53133,30192,47445,49180,48179,45768
    comparing the specs,

LP156WFG-SPF3 300 nits; 99% sRGB (72% NTSC) 40 pin 144Hz LG          eDP eDP1.4, HBR2 (5.4G/lane)
    NV156FHM-N4K 300 nits; 95% sRGB (71% NTSC) 40 pin 144Hz BOE         eDP eDP1.4, HBR2 (5.4G/lane)
    NE156FHM-NZ3 300 nits; 99% sRGB (74% NTSC) 40 pin 360Hz BOE         eDP eDP1.4, HBR2 (8.1G/lane)
    NV156FHM-N48 250 nits; 64% sRGB (47% NTSC) 30 pin 60Hz BOE           eDP eDP1.2, HBR1 (2.7G/lane)
    LM156LFCL13 220 nits; 66% sRGB (47% NTSC) 30 pin 60Hz PANDA          eDP eDP1.2, HBR1 (2.7G/lane) 
    LM156LF2F03 250 nits; 66% sRGB (47% NTSC) 40 pin 144Hz PANDA        eDP eDP1.3, HBR1 (2.7G/lane)
    B156HAN08.4 250 nits; 64% sRGB (46% NTSC) 40 pin 144Hz AUO           eDP eDP1.4
    N156HRA-EA1 250 nits; 66% sRGB (47% NTSC) 40 pin 144Hz Innolux      eDP eDP1.3

Seems like an important element could be this eDP1.4, HBR2 (5.4G/lane) thing.
  • BHBH
    Options
    Only a few do actually list the colour coverage, e.g.:

LP156WFG SPB3 fit LP156WFG SPF3 LP156WFG(SP)(F3) LP156WFG-SPF2 72% NTSC 144Hz

ebay.co.uk/itm/194385610478?hash=item2d424906ee:g:VoEAAOSwwVBfEDgs

It's gonna be tough to navigate if they don't just send they panel they are listing and supposedly have in stock. 
    In a sense aren't these sellers just listing massive lists of model numbers with meaning, and making it meaningless if you aren't even able to match the designated spec to what you're buying.

So the only way to even have an idea is to have the laptop and check Device Manager (thanks to @brummyfan2 for the tip) and gather some more information from the installed panel. 
    What a workaround!!

So in conclusion, unless the screen specifications on the laptop I buy are clearly stated then you won't know what characteristics with regards to brightness and colour gamut, you'll get.
    (And even then I had bought a laptop before with very clearly advertised specs and that info was wrong!! from a tech company!! Had to return).

All this stuff is 'interesting', if complicated & stressful.

• BHBH
    Options
    (so so random, some posts do post others do not, there'll probably be half a dozen comments that randomly appear here in the next few days.. all in wrong order)

I think the largest issue I've come across, is that all these screen replacements sellers mostly sell 'compatible' screens; so only dimension, connector and resolution correct, as a caveat.

All these sites state it's normal practice to do this, to sell physically and signally compatible screens without regards to brightness or colour gamut.
    Makes it seem like a big gamble with what you will end up with.
    What makes them not just sell the cheapest, dark, washed out panel lowest denominator for all the variations. Bizarre.
  • BHBH
    Options
    Also it either might be eDP eDP1.4, HBR2 (5.4G/lane) or eDP eDP1.3, HBR1 (2.7G/lane), 
    depending if it's 
    100%ish sRGB (72% NTSC) or 66% sRGB (47% NTSC). Another factor in the equation.

(okay all these comments are jumbled now though hopefully makes holistic sense)
  • JackE
    Options
    As for pin count, you have no choice but to open it up and check. As for nits, you should assume that you'll get a 250 ± a nit or three but then be pleasantly surprised if you actually get a 300 ±. :)

Jack E/NJ

• BHBH
    Options
    JackE said:
    As for pin count, you have no choice but to open it up and check. As for nits, you should assume that you'll get a 250 ± a nit or three but then be pleasantly surprised if you actually get a 300 ±. :)

This has been interesting/eye-opening regardless.
    Here’s hoping🤞
    Thanks again!!
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>This has been interesting/eye-opening regardless.>>>Here’s hoping>>>>

Yes, hope for the brightest 303 nitter. But prepare for the dimmest 247. Good luck! :)

Jack E/NJ

• BHBH
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>This has been interesting/eye-opening regardless.>>>Here’s hoping>>>>

Yes, hope for the brightest 303 nitter. But prepare for the dimmest 247. Good luck! :)

Absolutely fantastic JackE!!
    I'm so fortunate ultimately to have gotten the 99% sRGB (72%NTSC) colour and 300 nits brightness screen!! !!

(LG Philips [LGD061E]
    LP156WFG-SPF3 spot on exactly one of the possible ones you showed me)😀

So anyone after the Acer Nitro 5 Gaming Laptop | AN515-45 | Black Ref.NH.QBCEK.00D
    It even says "72%NTSC" on the label.

In conclusion: brilliant 99% sRGB colourful coverage combined with decent 300 nits brightness when needed.
    Laptop looks better in person than screenshots, especially if you like angular and geometric design.
    It's very sturdy with no flexing of the chassis and screen doesn't wobble. 
    Keyboard is really excellent with full sized arrow keys and full height numberpad. 
    4 exhaust ports and 2 (top and bottom) air intakes. 2 M.2 slots and one 2.5" slot expansion.
    Aesthetic wise, the main consideration are whether the red back plate or keyboard graphics could be seen as busy or over-designed.
    This Nvidia RTX 3060 has a Maximum Graphics Power of 95W, right in the middle.
    (A 75W to 95W benchmarks are about 10% faster. And 95W to 130W 10% faster still.)
    3060 is the perfect choice for this entry level gaming system.

I will say thank you so much @JackE and @brummyfan2 for helping me even when I wasn't an Acer owner. And giving me all the information to let me take a chance with this model.

I can say you two are very passionate, informative and accurate in helping people, even more than Acer email/sales support😀

Your time is much appreciated and Thank you again!!

• JackE
    Options
    Congratulations on your luck. Thanks for reporting back. Maybe you should consider a career in marketing and advertising. :)

Jack E/NJ

• BHBH
    Options
    JackE said:
    Congratulations on your luck. Thanks for reporting back. Maybe you should consider a career in marketing and advertising. :)
    Very kind, A Big Thanks 😅