Aced Aspire 5 (AN515-54) Blue Screen Whilst Using & On Starting The Laptop

Options
MrJackT14
MrJackT14 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited April 2022 in Windows 11
Hello, 

I was just using my Acer Aspire 5 (AN515-54) Laptop (it is relatively brand new) I only bought recently brand new. When turned on the laptop, the desktop screen loaded and then a blue screen appeared saying “your device ran into a problem and needs to restart” It has a QR Code and it also says “Stop Code: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED” in Win 11

I have put the laptop into safe mode however I cannot open the “Acer Care Centre” and then my laptop will restart and then the same error message appears. 

Can someone please advise on what to do?

[​//Edited the content to add model name]

Answers

• ragsak28
    ragsak28 Ally Posts: 677
    Options
    Hi @MrJackT14

You can try to do the BIOS reset. By pressing the F2 button continuously while turning on the laptop takes you to the BIOS screen. There you have to press F9+Enter together and then F10+Enter together. Now the laptop reboots itself and hopefully it should resolve the issue. If not you need to go for the reset.

Please follow the below steps for the reset process.

How to Factory Reset Acer Laptop Using Alt + F10 on Startup
    1. Put off the Acer laptop directly from the power button by pressing it for approximately 5 seconds.
    2. Switch on the laptop again and as soon as the Acer logo appears on your screen, press the "Alt" and "F10" keys together.
    Note: You will definitely loose all the data in the laptop during the reset process.

Hope it will help you in some way.
  • MrJackT14

Tinkerer

Options
    Hey @ragsak28

Thanks for your comment, I am really confused because I just went to start my laptop normally and the blue screen does not appear now? I am confused….
  • ragsak28
    Options
    Hi @MrJackT14

That sounds good that means the issue is resolved and it is booting into the windows.
  • MrJackT14

Tinkerer

Options
    @ragsak28 This isn’t the first time it has happened though. It has did it before except this time it actually wouldn’t do anything….
  • ragsak28
    Options
    Hi @MrJackT14

If it is a repeating issue then try to check for a windows update to see if that fixes the problem.
  • MrJackT14

Tinkerer

Options
    Hey @ragsak28

That issue seems to still be happening. I shall try the factory reset and see if that works. 

Really confused as to why it has started doing this my laptop is brand new. 
  • MrJackT14

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi @ragsak28

I have tried resetting the laptop and that blue screen still appears. I really don’t know what to do?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Options
    A KMode Exception is a problem where something is stepping on the toes of the Kernel, which is the core bit of the OS that everything else uses to do anything. There are a few things that can trigger it though and helping to pin those down can pinpoint what the fix might be. We can likely assume the Kernel itself isn't the problem, since that isn't available for anyone to change, it's the internal part of Windows itself. So a poorly (or maliciously) written driver can cause exceptions, a poorly written app is less likely but still possible, or faulting hardware 'talking' to a poorly written driver can cause it.
    There is a tool from Microsoft called WinDbg that parses the dump files that are created when you see a BSOD. Hidden in there is the name of the file that actually caused the issue, which then points to the app or driver. Once you know that you can look at how popular the app or driver is to help decide if it's hardware or software. If it is a commonly used driver (say NVIDIA video driver) then it's really unlikely to be the software, because there are so many other people using it. If it's something like a serial driver for a USB gizmo that scans credit cards, from a generic sounding name, it's more likely to be the software.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer
    Options
    MrJackT14 said:
    Hello, 

I was just using my Acer Aspire 5 Laptop (it is relatively brand new) I only bought recently brand new. When turned on the laptop, the desktop screen loaded and then a blue screen appeared saying “your device ran into a problem and needs to restart” It has a QR Code and it also says “Stop Code: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED”

I have put the laptop into safe mode however I cannot open the “Acer Care Centre” and then my laptop will restart and then the same error message appears. 

Can someone please advise on what to do?

Thanks
    Jack

You should know and read what KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED means and why its being caused, even once as it will come back again. Below is a short description as drivers have allot to do with this error code and your laptop has to be setup properly and has to have all appropriate drivers up to date especially running Win-11. 

Drivers Can Cause KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED 

Although not all errors that provoke this BSOD can be directly or indirectly traced back to a driver problem, most of them relate to device or firmware issues. Thus, when the BSOD labeled as KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED occurs, it may sometimes be trailed by additional explanatory text. Each such text item points you in a specific direction for further investigation, if and when it occurs: 

• Filename (e.g. ntfs.sys, netio.sys, ndis.sys, tcpip.sys, iastora.sys, and so forth). This provides information about the name of some file from which the error originated. It points to system aspects or components where further investigation will help. Ntfs.sys points to the NT File System, and thus to disk drives and file access. Ndis.sys points to the Windows Network Driver Interface Specification and thus to network interfaces and access. TCP/IP is the network protocol of choice on Windows networks and for Internet access. Iastor is part of Intel’s Rapid Storage Technology (RST), often associated with drive arrays or high-end, high speed storage devices.
    •  Overclock: indicates that failure is related to base, CPU or memory clock rate on a PC (usually appears only on deliberately overclocked systems). Usually best addressed by turning off overclocking, or backing off from current timing levels.
    • RAM: indicates that a memory fault may be the source of the error. Often requires replacing one or more memory modules to fix.
    • USB: Could indicate a bad USB driver (which can pop up at the class, controller or device level) or a faulty or failing USB device. Easy to check by unplugging all USB devices except mouse and keyboard. Assuming those are working, plug in other USB devices one at a time until the error recurs.
    • Not handled during install: Indicates a failure during OS install related to a corrupt or invalid driver that does not work with your PC.
    • Loop: generally associated with graphics card drivers that won’t load, causing the OS to try and fail to load them repeatedly (in a loop, in the terms of the error text itself). Usually requires replacing the graphics card driver (or occasionally, the graphics card itself). 
  • MrJackT14

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi @billsey

Thanks for your comment. I took the laptop back to the store and they have sent it off for a repair (to be looked at) and I want them to know the exact issue. My laptop was bought brand new in January, and I have had more than 1 laptop and this issue has never happened. The laptop itself wasn’t cheap and as it’s relatively brand new these sorts of things shouldn’t be happening on a brand new laptop. 

Thanks
    Jack
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Options
    Exactly, although it is probably most likely an app or device that has been added to the system that is the actual culprit. Hopefully they will be able to determine what it is and get it fixed quickly...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.