can I use an acer aspire azc-605 motherboard in my acer aspire z3-605?

Options
Sylvirr
Sylvirr Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited April 2022 in All-In-One PCs
As you can tell by the model, I have had this desktop for....quite a while. I asked a question a few years back about the hard drive...turns out the hard drive was fine, and it's the motherboard that's been having issues. I am on a fixed income, a limited budget, and I cannot afford a new computer. It would be cheaper for me to fix this one.
However, because the z3-605 was...specific? The motherboard is expensive. I have found azc-605 motherboards for a FAR more affordable price, but I'm not sure if using it would work in the z3-605, and I don't have the money to waste on it if it won't.

Why am I certain its the motherboard?
After several tests and diagnostics, the power supply (external) has been ruled out. The CMOS battery has been replaced. A Hard Drive Failure has been ruled out. Loose cables have been ruled out. All that's left is the Motherboard itself not getting enough power. Most recently, the computer was off--and unplugged-- for over a month when it randomly turned back on. It worked well, until a forced automatic update caused it to restart/shut down, where once it had powered down, it simply couldn't power itself back up, despite the light being on.

All specifics for the computer are as follows:

The specs are as follows:

System Manufacturer:Acer
System Series / Model:Aspire Z3-605
Serial Number:DQSQ*****************
Motherboard:Acer - Aspire Z3-605
Total Installed Memory:6 GB
Memory Type:DDR3
Modules Installed:Slot "BANK1" has 4 GB installed
Slot "BANK2" has 2 GB installed
Operating System:Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Module Details:Slot "BANK1", 4 GB, Speed "1600 MHz SODIMM", Type "DDR3", Manufacturer "Hynix Semiconductor"
Slot "BANK2", 2 GB, Speed "1600 MHz SODIMM", Type "DDR3", Manufacturer "Hynix Semiconductor"
Memory Available to OS:5.88 GB
System Family / Range:Acer Desktop
System Architecture:x64-based PC
Physical Processors:1
Processor Cores:2
Motherboard Version:Unknown
Bios Vendor:American Megatrends Inc.
Bios Version:P11-A3 <----- Older BIOS version, will upgrade the BIOS if necessary but if not, it's fine as it is.
Bios Release Date:08/01/2013  <---

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Best Answer

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    At first look it seems the Z3-605 and ZC-605 have very similar motherboards, and it is likely that you can use them interchangeably. The ZC shipped with either a Celeron or Pentium processor, the Z3 with either Pentium or i3. That leads me to believe the differences were pretty much to targeted market choices. All the processors shipped were 3rd gen Intel 17W Ivy Bridge U Series... So you could theoretically also upgrade the CPU to the i5-3317U, i5-3337U, i7-3517U, i7-3667U and such. The key would be 17W and U.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Sylvirr,

Yes you can use it.