My Laptop turns off randomly and stopped charging (Nitro AN515-55)

LeaReift
LeaReift Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited April 2022 in Nitro Gaming
I have an Acer Nitro AN515-55, bought in december. For 3 months it was good. At the beginnig of march, it shutted down and didn't turned on with the battery. Just with charger. After that, it stopped charging. It stays plugged in and, when I try to run a game, it loses the charger signal (the brightness drops and also does the performance) and take it again, with both leds blinking. After a few seconds, it turns off and the battery led blinks orange and I need to press the power button for a while for it to turn on againg. I took it to the tech and they found nothing.

{ edited the title to add model name } 

Best Answer

• LeaReift

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Thanks to all of you guys. At the end, I needed to replace a chip on the board. mosfet p21n03 is the name

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,755 Pathfinder
    edited April 2022
    @LeaReift try to get a different charger. Both LED blinking means that the charger is not providing enough power or is faulty.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • LeaReift

Tinkerer

I tried my charger with another Acer laptop and it charged, @AnhEZ28
  • AnhEZ28
    @LeaReift is that laptop also Nitro 5 series or other?
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • LeaReift

Tinkerer

@AnhEZ28 No. It was a different Acer laptop
  • AnhEZ28
    @LeaReift can you provide the exact model so that I can look up the required charger wattage?
  • LeaReift

Tinkerer

@AnhEZ28 If you need another specification, let me know
  • AnhEZ28
    @LeaReift so you tried the non-working laptop charger to this one and know that the charger still works?
  • LeaReift

Tinkerer

This is the non-working laptop charger. I don't have the other one nor remember the model, but that one was charging
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @LeaReift,

# Try to update the battery driver

1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option battery.
    4. Under the title battery.
    Update Battery Drivers in Windows EASILY - Driver Easy
    5. Right click on that option ----> Update all driver under the title battery.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
  • LeaReift

Tinkerer

@Easwar I've already tried this. Thanks for replying, tho
  • Ayodeji
    Ayodeji Member Posts: 4 New User
    Okay, please I need help.
    My Acer Nitro 5 won't POWER ON except if plugged in.
  • Have you tried just disconnecting and reconnecting the lithium battery?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • LeaReift

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Thanks to all of you guys. At the end, I needed to replace a chip on the board. mosfet p21n03 is the name
  • Glad you solved the problem. Can you send a photo of the location of that mosfet?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • CaptainObvious
    CaptainObvious Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited August 2023

I'm having the same problem and need to replace that chip. Where did you get the replacement chip from and is there any other suitable subsitute Moffett chip?

• LeaReift

Tinkerer

I took it to a repair center here and I don't know the work around they made, but it worked like a charm since that. I can tell you that they didn't use a chip replacement, but made a different config in the motherboard. I can't take a picture of the placement but it was near the charging port

• CaptainObvious

Tinkerer

Is there any suitable substitute mosfet for that p21n03 mosfet or anywhere I could get the exact same chip as I think it knight be shorted

• Before performing an exchange, what voltages are arriving at the gate, drain and source? Why is it possible that it is not shorted. But some other component that is part of the 19v voltage line. Also, is your computer under warranty or not?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• CaptainObvious

Tinkerer

Unfortunately the laptop is no longer under warranty.

My dad checked out the laptop and he is an experienced technician, he checked through the motherboard and he believes that the mosfet is shorted.

• OK! What are the voltages that appear on the two mosfets?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer