Acer SF314-55G (Swift 3) - Laptop randomly shuts down

RishabhRai
RishabhRai Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited April 2022 in Windows 11
Hi, my Acer SF314-55G (Swift 3) laptop randomly shutsdown while in use.

I have installed various versions of Windows 10 also tried with Windows 11 same issue occurs.
I have also tried many linux distros sames issue occurs in linux as well.

After the shutdown when I click on power button laptop starts with black screen, two light light up but nothing happens , then I have to do force shutdown (by holding power button for 10seconds) then it starts properly.

I have tried to use laptop after disconnecting battery same issue with or without power supply.

I have 1.07 version of Bios installed and I was not able to downgrade as .exe file cannot be extracted.

I have also tried to look at many forums, so many people have this issue but no solution yet.

I would appreciate if anyone had this issue and they fixed it please share it, I would also request experts to share their ideas.
Thanks a lot.

[​//Edited the content to add model name]

Answers

• RishabhRai

Tinkerer

Also fan works fine, shutdown is not due to heating.
  • RishabhRai

Tinkerer

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @RishabhRai,

Reset this PC and keep my files
    1. Shutdown the unit. Press and hold alt+F10 key. Then turn ON the unit.
    2. You will get a blue screen. Choose the option troubleshoot. 

3 Ways to Reset Acer Laptop to Factory Settings without Password​​

3. Select Keep my files to refresh your PC and reinstall your operating system without removing your personal files. Click Next to continue. Important If you have apps installed on your PC, they will be removed. 
    4. Resetting the PC will reinstall Windows, change settings back to their factory defaults and remove all preinstalled apps and programs without removing your personal files. Click Reset to continue.
    5. You will be shown the reset progress on the screen. The screen will turn off during the reset process.
    6. The screen will turn back on when it is installing Windows. Your PC will restart several times during the reset process.
    7. Follow the process until it completes.
    8. When your PC has completed the reset process, Windows will have been reset back to its factory default settings without removing your personal files.​

• RishabhRai

Tinkerer

Thanks for the answer, as I have mentioned I have already tried different versions of windows, as well as linux.
    I have tried reset as well but the issue still occurs.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Typically when we see those types of symptoms the issue is an app or driver getting hung, although sometimes you can see it with battery problems, but much less often. Do you see the same behavior when running in Safe Mode with Networking? Although the symptoms appear to be driver or app related, the underlying cause is more likely to be hardware. Your machine is old enough that you are unlikely to be in warranty so we will really need to pin it down to which piece of hardware is acting up.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • RishabhRai

Tinkerer

Thanks for the answer, I have kept my laptop in safe mode and I did not had this issue till now.

Also this issue is not due to battery as I have tried with disconnected battery and shutdown still occurs.

Can you please suggest what should I do as I can't use it in safe mode always.
    Thanks
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    So, if it doesn't happen in safe mode, but does in normal mode, we have to look at what runs normally that doesn't run in safe mode. In msconfig go to the Services tab and select the checkmark for Hide all Microsoft services. Look at what's left, these are the services that don't run in safe mode. You can then select or deselect groups of them and restart to determine which conditions cause the problem. If you do half of them, then half of what's left, then ... you will eventually get to the point where turning one on causes the problem and turning it back off again makes it go away. We can then look at the application or hardware that service is tied to and figure out a fix, either by removing it and going with something else with the same functionality or by contacting the developer with a bug report for a fix.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • RishabhRai

Tinkerer

@billseySure Sure, I will try that and will let you know.

Thanks

• RishabhRai

Tinkerer

Hi @billsey ,
    I have disabled all non Microsoft services in msconfig, but issue still persists.
    I forgot to mention this earlier but the issue also occurs irrespective of operating system also occurs on Ubuntu, Linux Mint.

I think it might have something to do with the bios(Currently at 1.07 ), Is there any way I can downgrade to 1.05 (I wasn't able to downgrade because bios is of American Megatrends, so Synyde methods doesn't work (I can't extract the setup file)).

Also shutdown doesn't occur when I am installing any OS or if I am in BIOS menu.

Warranty is expired and motherboard change will be too costly for me (as service centre guys will immediately change motherboard at my place without even finding the root cause ).

• RenanVilela
    RenanVilela ACE Posts: 13,287 Trailblazer
    Hi @RishabhRai!

Search through the Windows reliability history and see if any errors have been recorded.
    Acer Predator Helios 300 Core i7 9750H
    Sodimm DDR4 2666MHz 16 GB Sk Hynx
    Sodimm DDR4 2666MHz 16GB Crucial
    SSD 512GB Sandisk Plus
    SSD M2 Nvme 512GB XPG GAMMIX S11 Lite
    SSD M2 Sata3 128GB WD
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    -->>  Dicas para amenizar a temperatura durante Jogos — Acer Community  <<--
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Se a minha resposta te ajudou, curta o comentário e fortaleça com o Sim se possível!!

• RishabhRai

Tinkerer

In windows reliability history I can only see one critical error that is "Windows was not properly shutdown".
    that's all.
  • gringomachichi
    gringomachichi Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited March 2023

Hi @RishabhRai, wondering if this got resolved?