Why does Windows 11 update freeze on Swift SF314-42 ??

EndUserInCalifornia
EndUserInCalifornia Member Posts: 6 New User
edited April 2022 in Windows 11
I upgraded my one-year old Swift SF314-42 laptop to Windows 11 a few months ago. It was specifically designated as "Windows 11 ready" but I purchased it with Windows 10, then upgraded. Since the upgrade to 11, I have successfully applied Windows 11 updates a few times. The laptop sits unused as it's a backup device.  Yesterday I ran Windows Update to see if one is available. The screen changed to "Windows Update" title at top, with an arrow circling just below in a loop. Page was blank below. This screen has been frozen for hours. I've tried this on three different occasions and the same result occurs.  Anyone know what is causing the issue?  The laptop has been kept totally up-to-date with no new applications. Very strange!  I've searched the Acer Community board and Google search results with no success. Suggestions to fix this are welcome. Thank you!

[​//Edited the content to add model name]

Answers

• EndUserInCalifornia
    One other comment: I have run the Windows 11 Troubleshooter for Windows Update and the screen is also frozen!  It says, "Detecting problems / Checking for pending restart" and the progress bar below is stuck in a loop.  Apparently Windows is not even aware why Windows is not working so Houston, We Have a Problem.
  • EndUserInCalifornia
    Here's a screen shot of the Windows Update in frozen position:

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Have you tried a restart, or shut down then power up?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • EndUserInCalifornia
    billsey said:
    Oh yes!  Powered down and then back up at least a half dozen times.  A thorough restart to be sure!  Unfortunately, with no successful result.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer
    billsey said:
    Oh yes!  Powered down and then back up at least a half dozen times.  A thorough restart to be sure!  Unfortunately, with no successful result.

I don’t know how you updated Win-10 to Win-11 on your Swift SF314-42? Did you just do and upgrade or a clean install? As a clean install is the best way to upgrade to Win-11 and delete all the settings of Win-10 off your laptop. I had some problems upgrading a Nitro 5 AN515-56 to Win-11 by just doing the normal Win-11 upgrade that Microsoft has within Windows Update so and if you have problems then I suggest that you do the following.

What I suggest for you to do now is to backup all your personal files and go to System > Recovery > Remove everything (Removes all of your personal files, apps, and settings) and go through this procedure to do a full clean recovery/install, as you must have some corrupt Win-10 files that are causing these freezes, try it from scratch as doing a System > Recovery > Remove everything is like a clean install and I’ve done the same and after, my AN515-56 works 100% with no problems of Windows Updates and/or freezing or anything else etc. Its also best to go to “AMD Drivers and Support” and Intel for your Wi-Fi/BT latest drivers and see see if there are any newer drivers for Win-11.  

Btw, your Win-11 Update page should look like this and not blanc if all is ok and not like you have above:

• EndUserInCalifornia
    StevenGen said:
    billsey said:

I don’t know how you updated Win-10 to Win-11 on your Swift SF314-42? Did you just do and upgrade or a clean install? As a clean install is the best way to upgrade to Win-11 and delete all the settings of Win-10 off your laptop. I had some problems upgrading a Nitro 5 AN515-56 to Win-11 by just doing the normal Win-11 upgrade that Microsoft has within Windows Update so and if you have problems then I suggest that you do the following.

What I suggest for you to do now is to backup all your personal files and go to System > Recovery > Remove everything (Removes all of your personal files, apps, and settings) and go through this procedure to do a full clean recovery/install, as you must have some corrupt Win-10 files that are causing these freezes, try it from scratch as doing a System > Recovery > Remove everything is like a clean install and I’ve done the same and after, my AN515-56 works 100% with no problems of Windows Updates and/or freezing or anything else etc. Its also best to go to “AMD Drivers and Support” and Intel for your Wi-Fi/BT latest drivers and see see if there are any newer drivers for Win-11.  

Btw, your Win-11 Update page should look like this and not blanc if all is ok and not like you have above:

Thank you for the detailed response!  My notebook was preinstalled with Windows 10.  I upgraded to Windows 11 on the Microsoft Windows Update site. I followed their instructions and can't really say if it was "clean" install or not.  If I follow your recommended procedure, won't the laptop be re-installing what came with the device -- Windows 10?  If the answer is yes, how do I obtain Windows 11 other than the way I already got it (MS's Windows Update site)?  Sorry for the basic questions! It's amazing how much time we end up wasting on devices doing administrative tasks just to get them to work.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer
    StevenGen said:

Thank you for the detailed response!  My notebook was preinstalled with Windows 10.  I upgraded to Windows 11 on the Microsoft Windows Update site. I followed their instructions and can't really say if it was "clean" install or not.  If I follow your recommended procedure, won't the laptop be re-installing what came with the device -- Windows 10?  If the answer is yes, how do I obtain Windows 11 other than the way I already got it (MS's Windows Update site)?  Sorry for the basic questions! It's amazing how much time we end up wasting on devices doing administrative tasks just to get them to work.

No the Recovery > Remove everything (as I've instructed above) deletes all personal files and is like a clean install of Win-11 and will not have anything from Win-10, it’s also good after you have done the System > Recovery > Remove everything (Removes all of your personal files, apps, and settings) and go through this procedure to go to This PC > right click C;/ > Properties > Disk Cleanup > Cleanup system files as there or could be a win.old file that is from Win-10 and its usually about 16GB so delete that and do these disk clean-ups all the time as its good practice . 

• EndUserInCalifornia
    OK, I found a solution for my issue and it's unrelated to advice offered above. I forgot there was one software change since the last successful Windows 11 update: A month ago, I deleted Kaspersky security software and replaced it with BitDefender.  Despite having powered the notebook off and on a half dozen times, after launching BitDefender this morning, I discovered there WAS a pending restart from a prior update.  I do not understand why this discovery required launching BitDefender and was not automatically handled by Windows Update. 

After executing that restart, Windows Update appeared on screen as normal, and there were two updates, and two cumulative updates waiting in the queue.  I installed everything and the notebook is now functioning normally.

Not sure if there is a moral in this story, other than Be Prepared to Have that Ball-and-Chain of Ongoing PC Maintenance Keep Throwing Curveballs At You Forever!

I hope this story and solution might help some of you struggling with a similar issue. Enjoy your day! 
  • ALfawaz
    ALfawaz Member Posts: 4 New User
    It is good that discussions lead to solutions. Thank you all. I'm thinking of upgrading my device. This is good information. There are a lot of steps Microsoft advised. They helped us a lot