How do I stop my acer spin from freezing everytime I try to play a video game SP314-54N

Options
shacharrose
shacharrose Member Posts: 3 New User
edited April 2022 in Swift and Spin Series
My spin laptop freezes really badly to the point where I need to hold down the power button to turn it off everytime I try to play a game of league of legends. It happens about 3-6 minutes into every game. Ive tried updating drivers so far.

{Thread was edited to add model name to the title}

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,032 Trailblazer
    Options
    My spin laptop freezes really badly to the point where I need to hold down the power button to turn it off everytime I try to play a game of league of legends. It happens about 3-6 minutes into every game. Ive tried updating drivers so far.

Which exact model Spin have you got? As the Spin range should handle the League of Legends recommended Requirements with no problems as they are very basic specs of the following:

• 3.0 GHz processor
    • 2 GB of RAM (4 GB of RAM for Windows Vista and higher)
    • 12 GB available hard disk space
    • Nvidia GeForce 8800/AMD Radeon HD 5670 or equivalent video card (Dedicated GPU with 512MB or higher Video Memory(VRAM))
    • Support for DirectX v9.0c or better.
    • Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 with the latest service pack installed
    • The latest update to .NET Framework from Microsoft

Update all your Intel drivers and especially the graphics drivers and windows drivers to the latest drivers, install Intel® Driver & Support Assistant as that will install all the Intel critical drivers that you must have either not updated or there are errors with especially when playing games and they become critical id=f they are not updated, as all that should stop your Acer Spin from freezing.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,838 Trailblazer
    Options
    As Steven suggested, we need to know which Spin model you have, there have been literally hundreds of them over the years and locales. Have you done the rest of the Windows updates, or just driver updates? Which OS version are you running? Is there anything plugged in to the laptop?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options

Your “computer freezes during gameplay” issue may also be caused by system file corruption. You can run System File Checker and see if there're any system files missing or corrupted. If there are any, the sfc /scannow command (System File Checker) will repair them. Run Command Prompt as administrator.

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-computer-freezes-when-playing-games-easily/#:~:text=Your “computer freezes during gameplay,Run Command Prompt as administrator.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-freezes-completely-when-gaming-have-to-switch/509a6ed0-ce1e-43a7-8606-11c1d8a7381c
  • shacharrose
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Hey all, thanks for the answers. The model is SP314-54N, and using windows 10 home
  • billsey
    Options
    Hi @shacharrose,I would expect your system should be able to handle that but let's look a little closer. There have been a bunch of different SP314-54N SKUs. Which processor, how much memory, how big of drive? My laptop is the same age, but I have the Spin 5, not the Spin 3. They are fairly similar though...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • shacharrose
    edited April 2022
    Options
    billsey said:
    Hi @shacharrose,I would expect your system should be able to handle that but let's look a little closer. There have been a bunch of different SP314-54N SKUs. Which processor, how much memory, how big of drive? My laptop is the same age, but I have the Spin 5, not the Spin 3. They are fairly similar though...

Attaching my dxdiag to give more information about my PC!
  • billsey
    Options
    OK, so a 10th gen i5 with 8GB or memory and a 512GB NVMe SSD. Mine has the i7 and 16GB of memory, but is otherwise pretty much the same. Have you tried completely removing LoL, rebooting and doing a new install? It could easily be a glitch in the app as it's installed. The symptoms, since they only appear in the one program, almost has to be an issue with the game itself or with the specific configuration of the game as it's installed on your system right now. Maybe try some testing with another game that has similar requirements? If you can get it to fail without LoL involved then we will have a reasonable idea it's not in LoL itself, but as long as it only fails in the one instance...
  • Barbarab1t
    Barbarab1t Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I actually have the same problem with the exact same model of computer.
    The fun part is, I noticed when it's plugged in (charging) the problem is gone.
    I have experienced this with two different games to the same solution: charge while using.

I don't like doing that because it shortens the battery lifetime :/ but it's the only way for me to play these games.

And on a similar issue: I bought a Wacom pen that is compatible with this Acer (I don't like the pen that comes with it because it's too small) and I can use just fine, except when the computer is plugged in. It starts to glitch/not recognize it and I'm just forced to use the tiny pen that comes with it.

I've had this computer for almost a year now, and this is recurrent, even after changing to W11

Does anyone know the reason for this issues?