Regarding the KVM Switch functionality on Predator x34 GS

Options
Wammax
Wammax Member Posts: 3 New User
edited April 2022 in Predator Monitors
Hi!

I'm concidering buying the Acer Predator X34 GS as it seems to fit my need on almost all aspects. Though one thing makes me very hesitant on the display. It's the KVM Switch user experience. IT's one of the more important features that I look for in a display that I am to use with a work laptop and a personal desktop gaming computer. It seems very cumbersome to switch the kvm switch between tha USB-B and USB-C mode. It seems that I would have to switch the KVM Switch manually after I switch the display input. Isn't there any way to automate the KVM switch so that it switches automatically when I switch display input source? When I get that confirmed, I'll hit the buy button, otherwise I'll hold of for now. It's to much money to not get that simple feature.

Thank you in advande

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Best Answer

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,582 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It seems to have a physical input signal selection button key and a virtual button key in the main menu. Not automatic. So you have to push a button. HDMI input is default. Your can download the user manual and quickstart guide at this link.   to double check.

Jack E/NJ

• Wammax
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Ok, I do have an acer monitor today and the display input selection seems works the same. It's not smooth and can definitely use some user experience overhaul...

The question was about the KVM Switch though. Is it possible to have the KVM Switch automatically switch between USB-C and USB-B depending on what display input is selected? Or is it possible to map the KVM Switch selection to one of the hot keys?

Otherwise, is there somewhere you can create a basic feature request?

• JackE
    Options
    >>>The question was about the KVM Switch>>>

Did you download the manuals from the link I posted? This monitor does not have a built-in automatic KVM switch if that's what you're looking for?

Jack E/NJ

• CasaDeBasa
    CasaDeBasa Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited April 2022
    Options
    This would probably be very easy to implement in the firmware, but I'm not sure there is firmware upgrade support on this monitor at all. I own one, and would love to see a 1-2 click process to switch between KVM inputs. It boggles my mind that this monitor doesn't have this, since the functionality is all there and it's just a matter of UI.
    Would love see Acer put in those 2-3 man hours it would cost them to support this, especially on such an premium product.
  • Wammax
    Options
    It Beats me as well, how they just seemed to have lost that user story during UI implementation. Sure, an easy 1-2 click switch between KVM inputs would be good enough but an option to lock/link the KVM input to the selection of display input as well would make this display a real killer! Can't imagine it taking more than another few hours to implement.
    Until then, I just see myself becoming a bit more frustrated each time I need to spend like 15 seconds to change both display and kvm input individually between my laptop/desktop.
  • JackE
    Options
    Also check driver and widget app are latest? https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8645?b=1

Jack E/NJ

• rob123
    rob123 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited February 2023
    Options

I bought an Acer nitro XR343CKP and am disappointed with the kvm functionality. Like the previous speakers, I had expected that the USB C display input also switches the USB port select to USB C, and when changing to HDMI / DisplayPort the USB port select is then switched back to USB B. It is also very annoying that I can only change USB Port Select when the display signal is active. Waking up the PC from standby is then only possible if you have previously changed the USB port select.

Yes, i installed ACER Display Widget and checked for firmware updates. In ACER Display Widget there is a hidden&disabled menu called “USB Port Select” which is set to auto, but the monitor USB Port Select option does not show this value (it is either USB C or USB B)

• Foxer153
    Foxer153 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Just got the XB273U KF due to it being advertised as being a “KVM” monitor. Well turns out the implementation is quite horrible. It can't auto switch based on inputs so it leads to a situation where if both PCs are offline (in my case, MacBook and PC), I can't go and switch to the USB-C port due to for some reason the monitor requiring signal before accessing menus. Due to this I have to separately wakeup my Mac using bluetooth which then gives signal to the monitor and which then allows me to finally switch to using the USB-C (with 12 button presses I might add…). If this doesn't get adressed(which prolly won't happen since I've seen post complaining about the same thing from over a year ago) I'll prolly just return the monitor.

• JackE
    Options

Return it ASAP before the vendor's return merchandise authorization (RMA) period expires. Usually only a few weeks.

Jack E/NJ

• Mark1337
    Mark1337 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Just found this thread when looking for a solution for the same problem.

It is really annoying that is not working better. The turn around time, waiting for a signal, then being able to switch the USB input over the clunky menu, is pretty bad. I would love to see this solved.

I also tried to save the USB input as part of a custom profile, but this seems to be not saved.