Acer Nitro 5 ANS15-57-76RF unable to detect M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVME on the second slot

Options
Sofi9
Sofi9 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited July 2023 in Nitro Gaming
Hi, Im using (ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVME) on the second slot. The laptop couldn't detect it. Software Intel Optane storage management also couldn't detect it too. I was able to add an extra HDD 2TB on my laptop, the system could detect it, but not the 1TB M.2 PCIe NVME. I did try removing 2TB HDD to test detection of PCIe still the same result.

I need advice from the community and members here. Thank you in advance. Bought this laptop because of the 2 extra slots, HDD and M.2 PCIe slot. Laptop MFG 2021/12/06

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, we sometimes see that off brands have a tougher time being fully compatible with all platforms. Your best step at this point is to return the ADATA drive and go with one of the better vendors, like a Samsung... Oh, and I asked the moderator to fix the duplicate messages, it looks like it just took a while for them to go through the vetting process.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Options
    The model is Nitro AN515-57, '5' rather than 's'. Specs say:
    • Storage 1: M.2 SSD 2280 (PCIe Gen4x4)
    • Storage 2: M.2 SSD 2280 (PCIe Gen3x4 / SATA SSD)
    So your NVMe drive should work fine in that second slot. How did you determine the laptop didn't detect it? It should show on the BIOS Information tab as HDD1. If that doesn't happen perhaps the drive is bad... Can you try it in another system?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Sofi9

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    The model is Nitro AN515-57, '5' rather than 's'. Specs say:
    • Storage 1: M.2 SSD 2280 (PCIe Gen4x4)
    • Storage 2: M.2 SSD 2280 (PCIe Gen3x4 / SATA SSD)
    So your NVMe drive should work fine in that second slot. How did you determine the laptop didn't detect it? It should show on the BIOS Information tab as HDD1. If that doesn't happen perhaps the drive is bad... Can you try it in another system?
    Hi billsey, thank you for your reply. To reply to your question:

1) It should show on the BIOS Information tab as HDD1. 
    - As per your advice, I did check BIOS but it didn't show up (can refer to picture)

2) If that doesn't happen perhaps the drive is bad... Can you try it in another system?
    - I was able to use an external NVME M.2 USB (can refer to picture) to connect to my 2(TWO) laptops and it worked fine, but when put into M.2 slot 2, the system couldn't detect it.

Really appreciate the reply from you. Microsoft support informs me to contact Acer and ADATA support about this issue. Acer support replied by asking me to reset pc, I did reset it 4 times so far with the same result after confirming my S/N to them. ADATA support poor C.S, not an easy or friendly website to file a complaint, even the 'Contact US' directly not working... 

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,778 Pathfinder
    Options
    @Sofi9 switch the original M.2 drive to the 2nd slot and try putting your ADATA drive in the 1st slot.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • billsey
    Options
    Try swapping the two M.2 drives and look in the BIOS again. If the original drive also doesn't show up as HDD1 then we can suspect the slot itself. If instead HDD0 doesn't show we can suspect the drive. If they both show up then there must be an issue with that drive model in the second slot.
  • Sofi9

Tinkerer

Options
    AnhEZ28@billsey
    Thank you for the advice really appreciate the advice, I did try to switch between them, but just to cut it short it causes little problems from sudden black out upon power up to lastly blue screen. BIOS show up HDD1 as 'None' after switching between the two slots as per advice to try to switch it out. In the end, I did switch back because it load more slowly for a new empty laptop.

"If the original drive also doesn't show up as HDD1 then we can suspect the slot itself. If instead, HDD0 doesn't show we can suspect the drive".
    - after switching between them, it remains to show up as HDD0 instead HDD1. Weird but fine. The slot is confirmed OK and can load Windows 11.

"If they both show up then there must be an issue with that drive model in the second slot".
    - ADATA XPG PRO model is highly the problem, or maybe ADATA is not ready for Windows 11, cross over several websites ADATA NVME SSD/PCIe M.2 problematics.

Feel like kinda an ***** investing in that product just wanna save more games inside it and want the 'Speed' purpose write/read 3500/3000MB per second for gaming. I still remember laughing at a friend of mine who regrets buying a Windows 8 gaming laptop and having lots of issues with it... Strike me back, from believing that Windows 11 takes too long from Windows 10 and expect them really ready...  As @billsey said model problem related to which they(manufacture) are not completely ready.

Do advise or correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you. Really appreciate the advice from the members.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, we sometimes see that off brands have a tougher time being fully compatible with all platforms. Your best step at this point is to return the ADATA drive and go with one of the better vendors, like a Samsung... Oh, and I asked the moderator to fix the duplicate messages, it looks like it just took a while for them to go through the vetting process.
  • IRehmaan
    IRehmaan Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited July 2023
    Options

@billsey
    My laptop was working fine until tomorrow, I have 2 nvme ssd in slot 1 and slot 2, They both were working fine. I just fired up system today, and It seems that the nvme ssd in slot 2 is no more being recognized. Not even showing up in BIOS also.
    I swapped the two ssds and it seems that slot 2 is not working or is the problem.
    I even tried both the ssd's individually and both are working fine, now my only slot 1 is working instead of both.

Any suggestions what should I do?????

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)