can get gt 1030 to install - acer aspire xc1660

slowcomputer
slowcomputer Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
computer screen is blank when i place in the slot. i've disabled the integrated cpu and no change. bios is very limited and i think i need to change bios so as it will accept video output from another source. how do i get a better version of bios/uefi?

[​//Edited the content to add model name]

Answers

• slowcomputer
    btw, its an acer aspire xc1660

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    You should be able to reset your bios by jumping (google) or pull the battery overnight. 
    Do you get any beeps, or display at all when booting ?
    Try holding the power button for 10 seconds when power on ?

• Larryodie
    I also wonder if you've tried it with VGA or HDMI ?
    More information would be helpful.

• slowcomputer
    i can hear the computer booting and i get the audio que to enter my pin number. its just that the display is nonfunctional and bios wont let my choose another area to display. the display comes back after i pull the new gpu. i cant use the computer or even install the gpu driver without a display. the gpu has the display dedicated to it, but bios only allows the display from the integrated area. resetting the bios wont change the lack of options for where the display goes to.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,452 Trailblazer
    edited March 2022
    i can hear the computer booting and i get the audio que to enter my pin number. its just that the display is nonfunctional and bios wont let my choose another area to display. the display comes back after i pull the new gpu. i cant use the computer or even install the gpu driver without a display. the gpu has the display dedicated to it, but bios only allows the display from the integrated area. resetting the bios wont change the lack of options for where the display goes to.

Hey slowcomputer if I get your problem straight, you can’t install the GTX-1030 GPU (see this link for full specs) into your XC-1660 desktop? First, the GTX-1030 needs a min 300W PSU and your XC-1660 comes with an Acer supplied OEM PSU of only 180W, change the PSU first as that is why the GTX-1030 GPU is not being recognised and doesn’t come up or work, there is nothing wrong with your integrated Intel graphics, also install then update all Intel drivers with Intel Driver & Support Assistant as that will get your integrated graphics to work. Then and after you have upgraded the PSU to a new 500W (as that is what I would upgrade to) your GTX-1030 GPU will work, also update the bios to the last bios version R01-A4 “Update ME to v15.0.35.1951v6.1” which is an Intel® Management Engine Critical Firmware Update” but always remember that “Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution” and if you don’t know how to do this then get an experienced tech to do all this for you.

• slowcomputer
    according to specs, the xc-1660g-uw93 has a 300w poer supply. according to nvidia the gt 1030 uses 30-45w and should be okay with 300w power supply, although that is minimum. a new power supply wont damage the computer?

• slowcomputer
    there are 2 hdmi connected to the motherboard and the gpu has a hdmi and dvi port
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    The XC-1660 (from your second post) and XC-1660G (from the later post) are different models, and have different power supplies. Which one do you have? I'm going to assume it's the latter and the UW93 SKU. That does have a 300W power supply, so the GT 1030 should be getting enough power. What are you using to connect to the monitor, HDMI? Which port? The ports on the motherboard will be disabled as soon as the GPU is installed in the PCIe x16 socket, you will only have the ports on the 1030 at that point.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • slowcomputer
    i've used all the ports. the 2 intergrated hdmi. the dvi and the hdmi on the gpu. all blank. and i have the xc-1660g-uw93. also, the bios doesn't match acer docs and cant be patched or upgraded. spoke with a helper person who was entirely clueless and gave me a 800 number to some insurance scam site. her name was lidia. yeah, worthless tech support. btw, what graphic card did work for the computer.

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @slowcomputer

What the graphics card having problem is GT-1030, not GTX-1030, right?
    Both cards should be O.K. with the stock 300W PSU of the XC-1660G-UW93. 

Have you installed the proper driver from the Nvidia site for the card?

Once the graphics card is inserted to the x16 slot, you can only use the ports from the grpahics card, not from the inetgrarted graphics ports.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    In what way does the BIOS not match the docs? They have a few BIOS updates on those models, but haven't really changed the functionality, just bug fixes. Acer's support site shown five different versions, so they have done updates several times.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • slowcomputer
    ttttt said:
    @slowcomputer

What the graphics card having problem is GT-1030, not GTX-1030, right?
    Both cards should be O.K. with the stock 300W PSU of the XC-1660G-UW93. 

Have you installed the proper driver from the Nvidia site for the card?

Once the graphics card is inserted to the x16 slot, you can only use the ports from the grpahics card, not from the inetgrarted graphics ports.
    the gt-1030 just blacked out my display on all my video ports. nvidia wont let you preinstall the drivers and from what literature i've read, the video should be from the cpu until you can install the new gpu's drivers. i turned off the integrated gpu and the screen was still blank.
  • slowcomputer
    [...]   i turned off the integrated gpu and the screen was still blank.
    that sounds like magic.  how did you turn it off?

you can disable the integrated gpu in driver manager menu. also bios lets you turn it off
  • slowcomputer
    billsey said:
    In what way does the BIOS not match the docs? They have a few BIOS updates on those models, but haven't really changed the functionality, just bug fixes. Acer's support site shown five different versions, so they have done updates several times.
    the bios shown in the docs has more options, ie launch csm. the verison i have seems more parsed down.
  • slowcomputer
    See the source imageSee the source image
    this is what the bios looks like

• slowcomputer
    talked with a local pc repair shop. they said the bios is built into the board and no firmware update will allow access to blocked ports, ie the pci 16 slot
  • Larryodie
    edited April 2022
    Did you run it though Newegg"s Calculator as I think that you need a bigger PSU. I think that when you plug in thr new unit, it disables the old unit by completing a disable circuit thus Bios is mute. 
    https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/
  • slowcomputer
    you have links to a different bios. mine barely has anything, including slot power limit
  • slowcomputer
    i've given up on using the pci 16 slot. i feel certain that acer blocked it and uses this board for other versions of acer that have higher range stuff. they just went cheap as hell and avoided giving out any real info on the computer. acer is taiwanese for regret.
  • slowcomputer
    basically, the pc repair shop said that the bios is fixed, not upgradable and intentionally blocked various ports/slots. they also suggested that acer did not  do this by mistake, but this is intentional