Swift X SFX14-41G-R1S6 SSD Change Acer Swift X, warranty & issue ?

D34l
D34l Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited April 2022 in Swift and Spin Series
I have a Samsung SSD EVO 1Tb from my last notebook. Want to put this SSD on my new Asus Swift X. Even before to power on.
Warranty lost?
Wich Acer programs do I need to install in my SSD in order to have drivers, bios, upgrades, etc?

{ edited the title to add model name } 

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,717 Pathfinder
    @D34l check if there is any warranty sticker. If not you can feel free to upgrade the SSD without losing the warranty. What is your model and the SSD type that you are going to add? ( M.2 or 2.5Inch). 
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • D34l

Tinkerer

Greetings,
    Thanks for your answer. Its a M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1Tb. This will be the main SSD.
    I suppose that when the machine starts, it will be update the drivers. If not, what do I need to download in order to upgrade things like drivers, BIOS, etc?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    You need to clone the existing drive to the replacement. That is typically done with an external M.2 NVMe case. Once the cloning process is complete you can just swap the new drive in to replace the old one, then put the old one in the case and use it as an external data drive. Since you will be working off of a clone of the original drive all the drivers and such will still be there, no need for anything other than normal updates as they become available.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,717 Pathfinder
    @D34l if your Swift X has 2 m.2 slots. You can just install that SSD, and it will work right away.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • D34l

Tinkerer

Thanks, I get back with any news
  • billsey
    That's one of the reasons we ask about what model you have, there have been three different Swift X designs, and dozens or more SKUs for each design type. No way to tell if yours has two SSD M.2 slots without knowing the full model number (SFXxx-xxx-xxxx).
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • D34l

Tinkerer

Swift X SFX14-41G-R1S6 Creator Laptop

• billsey
    OK, that's one of the AMD versions. It does support two M.2 SSDs. One slot can do both SATA and NVMe, the other is NVMe only. The Samsung drive is NVMe so will work in either slot. Put it into the unused slot, clone between the two drives, remove the original and put the Samsung in that slot, boot using the Samsung then shut down again. Reinstall the original drive in the second slot then boot to Windows and use Disk Management to wipe all partitions from that drive and create one data partition for the full size. You should be good to go.
  • billsey said:
    OK, that's one of the AMD versions. It does support two M.2 SSDs. One slot can do both SATA and NVMe, the other is NVMe only. The Samsung drive is NVMe so will work in either slot. Put it into the unused slot, clone between the two drives, remove the original and put the Samsung in that slot, boot using the Samsung then shut down again. Reinstall the original drive in the second slot then boot to Windows and use Disk Management to wipe all partitions from that drive and create one data partition for the full size. You should be good to go.
    I advise disconnecting the lithium battery before installing the new ssd too.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • D34l

Tinkerer

Want to keep info & os from the Samsung, so clone is not an option.
  • billsey
    Then mount the Samsung as a data drive and backup the data you need. Once you have a backup do the clone route, then when everything is done and working restore the backup. Don't backup the OS, just your data...
  • D34l

Tinkerer

Greetings,

Laptop came to my hands, and the process was very easy.

Samsung 970 Evo was connected on primary SSD slot. Laptop started. Then, trough Ethernet, I went to Acer drivers for this laptop. Downloaded and installed.

Windows updates done. All works fine!

The original ssd on the secondary slot.

• billsey
    Glad to hear you got it handled! :)
  • MardokWin
    MardokWin Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi Guys, I am new here so apologies if that question has been already asked but I could not find it. 

I have purchased recenty Swift X with R7 and RTX3050, and want to upgrade the SSD - however I want to put in the NVMe which is dedicated to PCIe 4.0 - does this laptop supports SSD on PCIe 4.0, I have seen all upgrades beeing done with SSD on PCIe 3.0 so I do not know if it won't be a waist of time if I try with SSD on PCIe 4.0. 
    example of the SSD i have and i would like to use - Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2, NVMe 1.4, PCIe 4.0 x4, 2280.
    thanks in advacne for answers. 
  • billsey
    @MardokWin in general you should start a new thread if your question or model isn't exactly the same as the thread or if you have tried the solutions presented and have had no luck. Your system uses an AMD Cezanne CPU and it supports PCIe 3.0, so though you can use an NVMe x4 4.0 drive, it will run at the NVMe x4 3.0 speeds. Don't spend the extra.
  • MardokWin
    MardokWin Member Posts: 2 New User
    @billsey thank you very much! that really helps. and I will remember to start the new thread if the question is not exactly about the same. thanks!
  • Lele77
    Lele77 Member Posts: 2 New User

excuse me,

what should i do if i only have sata ssd?

• billsey

If you only have a SATA SSD in the M.2 form factor it needs to be in the second slot, the first one is only for NVMe drives. If you get them backwards it doesn't do any harm, it's just that the SATA drive will not show up either in the BIOS or in Windows Disk Management. If that's the case just swap the two.

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)