is it ok to switch from intel rst to ahci in acer nitro 5 2020 i5 9th gen i have 1 tb hdd and added

Ebrahim_Badusha
Ebrahim_Badusha Member Posts: 1 New User
edited April 2022 in Windows 11
hi am planning to dual boot ubuntu in my acer nitro 5 system but for that i need to turn off intel rst will it be problematic for my windows 11 install

[​//Edited the content to add model name]

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    It wont be problematic but you will need to change the settings in windows first, else you will end up with endless bluescreens :)

https://help.ubuntu.com/rst/
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    1. Press Windows + X keys.
    2. Select Device Manager.
    3. Find and expand the Disk drives catalog.
    4. Right-click Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and choose Uninstall device.
    https://www.intel.in/content/www/in/en/support/articles/000027232/technologies/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst.html

• Yeah.  I find that intel RST stuff to be nothing beneficial, and nothing but problematic.
    I don't understand why Acer (or anybody) ships these computers with that thing enabled by default.
    Particularly if you want to clean-install Windows.  Then you have to install the magic RST driver at 1st step of the process.
    Later if you turn off the intel RST setting in BIOS, the computer bluescreens during bootup.

I've found a Intel(R) Storage Middleware Service setting in msconfig that we can disable.
    Then setting BIOS either way, intel RST or AHCI work equally ok.  No bluescreen at bootup.
    You can invoke msconfig from Start Menu.  It's also a shortcut in Control Panel ▸Administrative Tools called System Configuration.

This is a photo of my BIOS setup.  It probably looks a little different from yours.  I have an Aspire model.

It is not necessary to disable intel rapid storage. However, before changing sata mode to ahci, it is necessary to enable safe boot in msconfig:
    Starting Windows in Safe Mode Using MSConfig
    Then just restart windows and change the sata mode to ahci. On some models it is necessary to press ctrl+s in the main tab of the bios to change the sata mode. @Ebrahim_Badusha What is the notebook model? Example AN515-55-58VH.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • I've seen several online "tutorials" that say to do it the way you mention, via a magical excursion to Safe Boot.
    But do you know exactly how and why that works?
    What exactly happens from that method?
    Why don't those online "authorities" say what happens when you do that?
    I think if you then look in msconfig, you'll see it actually causes the selective startup condition I showed.  The un-checked checkboxes.
    I never tried those online tutorial tricks, though.
    If those guys don't say how it works, then they don't actually know why it works, and I'm sure not going to do that.

Besides.  Unchecking the checkbox in msconfig is easier.    : D

When you enable safeboot in msconfig, see that selective boot is enabled:

This is because only essential services and standard windows drivers will be loaded when you enable safeboot.

If you change sata mode to ahci or disable vmd controller in bios and not enable safeboot, blue screens will occur. That's why every time you change the sata mode in the bios or disable the vmd controller, you have to enable safeboot first, so that windows only loads the essential drivers and services. What is your computer model? Example AN515-55-58VH.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

• If you change sata mode to ahci or disable vmd controller in bios and not enable safeboot, blue screens will occur.

Thanks for your enormous reply.  Yeah, humongous, complete with animated flags.  But that didn't answer my question.
    I asked, just exactly why does Windows BSOD when you change from RST to AHCI mode?
    That's what i asked.

Furthermore, just exactly why might visiting Safe Mode and doing absolutely nothing at all there,  why does that resolve the BSOD?
    Finally, since your magic method from  https://www.lifewire.com  requires running msconfig,
    why not just simply un-tick the Intel Storage Middleware checkbox while you're there, and skip that grubby unsightly Safe Mode step?

-----------------
    I don't even have any SATA drives in my computer. (except a disabled DVD drive).
    My SSDs are both PCIe.   (m.2 NVMe).
    What reason does RST on the SATA configuration in BIOS produce any effect whatsoever on my SSDs?
    That's a SATA setting.  My SSDs are on PCIe.
    That's what I asked.  Why.

I regret spending the time posting the 3 solutions I did earlier above.
    They're completely drown out now, flooded out.
    I'd delete my posts here if I could.

Why does sata mode ahci require a different driver than intel rapid storage. In addition, these drivers control the other peripherals. I don't know exactly why the blue screen appears when you change the sata mode to ahci or to intel rapid storage mode. But I think it may be due to the fact that this driver controls the hard drive and the ssd and its partitions.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• So I think intel introduced this feature, because of optane memory! All models that support memory have the intel rapid storage feature enabled in the bios. Models that do not support optane memory like the AN515-51 for example do not have INTEL RAPID STORAGE enabled in the bios.

Now, about the raid issue you mentioned, it would only be possible between two nvme ssds or between two sata 3 ssds. I'll give you an example: My PH315-52, supports two nvme ssds. So it would support raid 0 between two nvme ssds and double the read and write speed rate. Model PH315-52 also has a PCIE/SATA port. In this case, I could also mount a raid 0 between a m2 2280 sata 3 ssd and a 2.5" ssd 3 ssd.

I don't particularly see a big difference in performance, on crystaldiskmark, between AHCI and RST WITH OPTANE modes. I think the difference would only be noticeable, when two drives are mounted in raid 0.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Yes, as optane memory emerged at a time when nvme ssds were standing out in the market. But they took advantage of this technology and also added optane memory in some nvme ssd, like intel H10 for example.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• I don't think it should be imposed or not. But this feature appeared, because intel invented optane memory precisely at a time when nvme ssds began to be sold at a reasonable price. However, I agree that optane memory is an outdated technology as only an nvme ssd is faster and more efficient than optane memory.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• I particularly keep sata mode enabled on ahci, as linux has problems recognizing ssds when sata mode is set to rst whit optane. By changing sata mode to ahci, I was able to install linux alongside windows 10 and keep dual booting on my system.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited April 2022
    @prunemaster But I was curious to know the model of your laptop! What is the exact model? Example AN515-55-58VH.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer