Acer Predator PH315-52. Mic (Internally or Externally) not working

Options
SnowWinter
SnowWinter Member Posts: 4 New User
edited April 2022 in Predator Laptops
Hello, I've recently updated my Geforce Game Driver to the most recent (03/22/2022) via Geforce Experience. Only after doing so, later in the day, I've realized that my internal mic was not working.

After further testing, I noticed that my gaming headset was not working either (external mic). I even tried using airpods via bluetooth, and the mic with those was not working either with this laptop. 
It seems that this laptop is no longer recognizing any type of mic. My microphone is turned on and allows access to all applications, so my microphone is not disabled (which makes this quite confusing).

I've attempted to uninstall the driver via the Device Manager under the Sound, video, and game controllers (hoping that it was defected, since windows would automatically reinstall it on restart) but that did not work. I've attempted to uninstall drivers under Audio inputs / outputs.

Afterwards, I've attempted rebooting my laptop via reset, but allowing personal files to remain. The issue still persists after all of this.

Do any of you have any recommendations for me? Thank you so much in advance.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the topic]

Best Answer

• SnowWinter
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi there, has anyone found a fix for this? I have the same issue as well as the same model computer. Everything that was mentioned above I have also tried as well and my microphone also has permission. My internal mic does not pick up any sound whatsoever and when I try to connect wired and wireless headphones they also do not work. 
    Hello, yes I did find a solution to this problem months ago. Actually, doing reset from the computer itself will not fix your mic problem.

I began to wonder that it could have possibly been some update with windows 11 aswell, so my solution was a factory reset to windows 10.

I downloaded a bootable version from the Microsoft store (Just search Bootable Microsoft Windows 10) and download the whole installation on a USB.

Afterwards, when you boot your laptop, you will have to allow factory reset in the bios menu (or at least I had to, so that I could press F12 to factory reset my laptop).

After this, I factory resetted my laptop to windows 10 with a bootable version from the Microsoft store (via the USB).

Finally, the mic actually worked and no issues since then. If you have any more questions, feel free to message ask and good luck!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,575 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>I've recently updated my Geforce Game Driver to the most recent (03/22/2022)>>>

There are dozens of helios 300 models? What is your full model number?  For example PH315-42?

(1) What problems with the nvidia adapter were you trying to fix with the update?
    (2) Also did you update with the latest ACER OEM nvidia driver from  the ACER download site?  Or the generic nvidia driver from the nvidia download site? The OEM & generic versions are NOT the same due to the interface with the proprietary mainboard.

Jack E/NJ

• SnowWinter
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>I've recently updated my Geforce Game Driver to the most recent (03/22/2022)>>>

There are dozens of helios 300 models? What is your full model number?  For example PH315-42?

(1) What problems with the nvidia adapter were you trying to fix with the update?
    (2) Also did you update with the latest ACER OEM nvidia driver from  the ACER download site?  Or the generic nvidia driver from the nvidia download site? The OEM & generic versions are NOT the same due to the interface with the proprietary mainboard.
    For the full model number, it is a Acer Predator PH315-52.

--- Actually, Geforce Experience is an application used to just frequently keep your Geforce Driver up to date. They frequently release updates and it is normal to install them when they're available. This is the first time I noticed an issue after downloading one of them. I did not have any issue before downloading it.

--- No, I have not updated my ACER OEM nvidia driver from ACER download site or updated any driver through the nvidia download site.

The thing is, Geforce Experience is the only application I used and should only affect my graphic card driver (I believe) and not my audio driver (but I'm not sure about that). An update to the graphic card should not affect my microphone (but it did somehow).

Anyways, on device manager it shows that my drivers are up to date. However, can you explain to me how to update my audio driver manually through the ACER website.

---

In Device Manager I see 2 relevant audio drivers:

Audio inputs and outputs
    -Microphone Array (Realtek(R) Audio)
    -Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio)

Sound, video, and game controllers
    -Intel (R) Display Audio
    -NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    -NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) WDM
    -Realtek(R) Audio

---

For an Acer Predator PH315-52, I can install 3 different potential relevant audio drivers on the acer product support webpage. 
    -Audio Driver (Date: 2019/05/09 Version: 6.0.1.8652)
    -Audio Console Driver (Date: 2019/05/09 Version: 1.2.171.0)
    -Audio Utility (Date: 2019/05/09 Version: 1.0.57.0)

---

Can you let me know what to update exactly and with which file? I would assume that this is done through the device manager.

• JackE
    Options
    Sounds like you downloaded the generic nvidia  update with the experience app since it's not an Acer app. If you're having issues with it, then try  to install the ACER update.

As for the audio drivers, you shouldn't update unless you're having audio or audio control panel issues. Actually there's only one updated realtek audio driver that you posted. The other two are a realtek audio control panel and some audio tweaking software that you probably don't need.

Jack E/NJ

• SnowWinter
    Options
    How would I download the ACER update? Would this be through the ACER website, as I do not have any available immediate updates (through the sleep, restart, shutdown window) on my laptop.

Thank you so much in advance.
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes, the ACER update download page for the PH315-52 at this link.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi @SnowWinter,

If your microphone isn't detected after updating Windows 10, you may need to give your apps permission to use it. To let apps access the microphone, select Start ,then select Settings > Privacy > Microphone . Select Change, then turn on Allow apps to access your microphone.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-microphone-problems-5f230348-106d-bfa4-1db5-336f35576011
  • sandwichofdoom
    sandwichofdoom Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi there, has anyone found a fix for this? I have the same issue as well as the same model computer. Everything that was mentioned above I have also tried as well and my microphone also has permission. My internal mic does not pick up any sound whatsoever and when I try to connect wired and wireless headphones they also do not work. 
  • JackE
    Options
    Try a factory reset.

Jack E/NJ

• SnowWinter
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello, yes I did find a solution to this problem months ago. Actually, doing reset from the computer itself will not fix your mic problem.

I began to wonder that it could have possibly been some update with windows 11 aswell, so my solution was a factory reset to windows 10.

I downloaded a bootable version from the Microsoft store (Just search Bootable Microsoft Windows 10) and download the whole installation on a USB.

Afterwards, when you boot your laptop, you will have to allow factory reset in the bios menu (or at least I had to, so that I could press F12 to factory reset my laptop).

After this, I factory resetted my laptop to windows 10 with a bootable version from the Microsoft store (via the USB).

Finally, the mic actually worked and no issues since then. If you have any more questions, feel free to message ask and good luck!
  • JackE
    Options
    Thanks for reporting back. :)

Jack E/NJ