change c drive

mandy30
mandy30 Member Posts: 135 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
I have installed a NVMe ssd and want to change it from d drive to my primary c drive and the c drive to d can anyone tell me how to do it please in easy steps please

Best Answer

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    I think that you disconnect the old hard drive and let the computer pick it up then at a later date, connect the old hard drive.
    I'm assuming that you have cloned the old drive or have done a create Windows to a boot drive then put it on the SSD. 

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Could you please post the picture of your Disk management.
  • mandy30
    edited March 2022
    Hi brummyfan2,here is a pic of disc management,I cloned the c drive with macrium
  • Larryodie
    Answer ✓
    I think that you disconnect the old hard drive and let the computer pick it up then at a later date, connect the old hard drive.
    I'm assuming that you have cloned the old drive or have done a create Windows to a boot drive then put it on the SSD. 
  • mandy30
    I cloned my c hard drive to the new ssd drive as above with macrium,disk 0 is my c drive, disk 1 the new ssd drive,if i unplug the c drive will it change it,s drive letter too when i restart windows please?
  • Larryodie
    I think so but I'm not sure if you have to do an F12.
    Disconnect the old one one with power removed then try booting. If not enable F12 in bios and boot using F12. Let us know.
  • mandy30
    will have a go tomorrow when i,m less tired,thankyou larryodie
  • Larryodie
    Good Luck. Once the system has made the SSD (C:) then reinstall your old HD and it'll be D: drive but if you don't mess with the old drives OS system then you can boot to it by disconnecting the SSD so you'll have a backup boot drive.

• randalljones
    randalljones Member Posts: 3 New User
    1. Right-click on the Windows logo and select Disk Management.
    2. Right-click on the Local Disk (C:) area and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    3. Select Change and then choose a different Letter for the drive.
    4. Hit OK and then Yes.
  • mandy30
    what i did was plugged the old drive back in,booted from windows usb and deleted files from old hard drive,took out usb and booted normally,it does,nt show as  drive but does in Disk Management as unallocated,if i right click it I have the option to create a simple volume,is that what i do now please?
  • mandy30
    all done now,just created simple volume and it now can be used as a data drive thankyou larryodie