Laptop detects storage on BIOS, but unable to detect Predator Helios 300 (PH315-54-78WN).

Options
shiggen
shiggen Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2022 in Predator Laptops
Hi everyone, I just recently bought a Predator Helios 300 (PH315-54-78WN).  First thing I did with the laptop was open the back and swap out the M.2 SSD's from my previous laptop, just so I don't have to go through the troubles of having to transfer from back to back. Turning the laptop on, I was given a blue screen with the error being "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE". No matter how many times I tried to swap it to the OEM M.2 that it had, it just didn't detect the hard drive anymore. It still pops up on the BIOS showing the storage, but not when you select a boot device. Is there anything I can do to fix this, or is my whole laptop screwed up now? I've been going back to back with troubleshooting the issue, but nothing is working. Also tried to disable secure boot and change the UEFI mode, however that's greyed out. Also on BIOS v1.11. If anyone could get back to me asap with how I could possibly fix this, I would genuinely appreciate it a lot! 

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    shiggen said:
    @Sharanji The problem is, even when I do the diskpart and the list volumes/disk, it doesn't show anything up, except for the usb. Made sure that the m.2 ssd was seated in correctly multiple times, disconnected the battery, and all that stuff, but still no good unfortunately :disappointed: . Any other ideas that you could think of that's causing it to do that? :oo 
    @shiggen

On systems with the 11th generation Core I processors (Tiger Lake platform), during a manual installation of Windows 10, you may find that a SATA hard disk is not detected.

Due to new features available with these products, a driver is required for the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (iRST). To use this driver during the installation of Windows , please use the following steps:

1. Download the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver.
    2. Extract the ZIP file, and copy the extracted files on a USB drive. Connect this USB drive to the system where you are installing Windows 10.
    3. On the page where you select the drive to use, click Load Driver.  
    4. Click Browse, and navigate to the folder on the USB drive with the previous extracted files. When you selected this folder, click OK.
    5. Select Intel RST VMD Controller 9A08 (TGL), and click Next.
    6. The selected driver will be loaded, and the SATA drive will become available for selection on screen.
    Courtesy: Acer crew.
    Hope the best!

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!  
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Sharanji
    edited March 2022
    Options
    @shiggen

When doing a fresh install, if you are using a Blank HD with no partitioning Setup won't detect the hard drive.
    Please try the below-mentioned steps.
    Boot from the Windows 10 install media
    Click Install Now
    Accept License Agreement
    When the option is displayed to select an installation type, click (Custom Advanced)
    Press Shift + F10 on your keyboard
    type the following commands
    DISKPART
    Hit Enter
    list volume
    Next you will select the volume where you would like to install Windows 10
    Type: select disk #
    # represents the number the volume
    Type: clean
    convert mbr
    create partition primary
    active
    format quick fs=ntfs
    exit
    exit
    Try installing again.

• shiggen
    shiggen Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    @Sharanji The problem is, even when I do the diskpart and the list volumes/disk, it doesn't show anything up, except for the usb. Made sure that the m.2 ssd was seated in correctly multiple times, disconnected the battery, and all that stuff, but still no good unfortunately :disappointed: . Any other ideas that you could think of that's causing it to do that? :oo 
  • Sharanji
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    shiggen said:
    @shiggen

On systems with the 11th generation Core I processors (Tiger Lake platform), during a manual installation of Windows 10, you may find that a SATA hard disk is not detected.

Due to new features available with these products, a driver is required for the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (iRST). To use this driver during the installation of Windows , please use the following steps:

1. Download the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver.
    2. Extract the ZIP file, and copy the extracted files on a USB drive. Connect this USB drive to the system where you are installing Windows 10.
    3. On the page where you select the drive to use, click Load Driver.  
    4. Click Browse, and navigate to the folder on the USB drive with the previous extracted files. When you selected this folder, click OK.
    5. Select Intel RST VMD Controller 9A08 (TGL), and click Next.
    6. The selected driver will be loaded, and the SATA drive will become available for selection on screen.
    Courtesy: Acer crew.
    Hope the best!

• OnlySight
    OnlySight Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options
    Hello. Upon reading the situation, I think our situation are the same. I hope you fan help me.

My unit was PH315-53-5634.

The Story: My Laptop was running hot so I changed the thermalpaste CAREFULLY. Nothing damaged. I also cleaned the motherboard with a soft brush. I remove the ssd and hdd. After I cleaned the unit, i put everything back as if nothing happen (just cleaner). I was greeted with Predator Logo Loop and not detected SSD on the bios. As seen from my bios, Optane with raid is enabled. I am skeptical whether the unit is on Raid all along.

The problem: i tried switching it to AHCI and my ssd wouldnt read. 

I hope this is the solution I was looking for. Is there any chance it is?