New Aspire XC-1660 won't operate/read EVO SSD in Win10 /11, No boot either

poser81
poser81 Member Posts: 2 New User
I stumped.

1. Trying to install a Samsung EVO 860 or 870 SSD on a brand new XC-1660 desktop, came stock with 1TB mechanical drive
2. Aspire XC BIOS sees all drives OK
3. The EVO860 SSD has Win10  but has message "Boot device not found" . Same 860 drive boots all day long with my legacy HP's!
4. A conventional 1TB HDD with Win10 also boots on the new Aspire. It also boots on the same older HP's (old HDD from 2014 too)
5. Bought new EVO870 SSD, clean formatted using desktop HP.  Swapped over, but same thing:  XC-1660 BIOS sees the EVO870,  but Windows 10/11 DOES NOT - drive not found. No way to access it, install on it etc. 

So the problem appears to be the onboard SATA controller is not communicating properly with the EVO drives when the OS is active. At the command prompt I can access the drive, but there are NO folders available and only a recovery.txt file or something. 

Tried every BIOS setting there is, no change.  Definitely not compatible with my EVO SSD I guess, ready to bring back for a refund. 

Answers

• poser81
    poser81 Member Posts: 2 New User
    The PC I bought has a regular disk. I just wanted to move my failed PC along toa new box with all my files, settings, websites, passwords etc.  which are stored on the EVO 860.  I tried ACHI setting above. This is some sort of firmware error, nothing to do with Windows as that is on the 860 drive anyway. The fact that the PC boots OK with another ancient/regular HDD points to a firmware issue in the drive interface. Kinda crazy. 
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Try disconnecting your 2nd hard drive until you can boot the SSD which I assumed that you cloned ?
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @poser81

Just how did you install Windows to the PC?

You just cannot swap the old SSD  from another PC or the new drive to new PC without installing Windows.

As far as I know, only your 1 TB HDD has the right Windows for the XC-1660.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    In my opinion you, may have to do a Windows Create USB. with a blank SSB. 
    Move all of your data to the 1TBB HD or an external HD

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    edited March 2022
    If the new SSD was working on an older legacy system, it might not be configured correctly for a UEFI system. As suggested, fire up Disk Management and show us the partitions that are on the drive. There should be a 100MB EFI partition in addition to the typical C: drive and Recovery drive. Also the drive need to be GPT instead of MBR...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.