How do I update the BIOS of my Acer Aspire 4741?

0Steppher0
0Steppher0 Member Posts: 10 New User
edited March 2022 in Aspire Laptops
As the title said how to update the BIOS on my laptop?, cuz when I go to the Acer website and check for the BIOS updates for my laptop...The only choices for OS are Windows 7 64-bit and 32-bit...But my OS right now is Windows 10 64-bit...Is there a BIOS update for my laptop with Windows10?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,833 Trailblazer
    If Win10 seems to be running OK with your  current BIOS firmware, then no update is needed. You should be fine.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,801 Trailblazer
    edited March 2022
    As the title said how to update the BIOS on my laptop?, cuz when I go to the Acer website and check for the BIOS updates for my laptop...The only choices for OS are Windows 7 64-bit and 32-bit...But my OS right now is Windows 10 64-bit...Is there a BIOS update for my laptop with Windows10?

First and just to explain to you what the bios does, the bios is not OS related and the BIOS stands for Basic Input/Output System. When you power your computer on, your BIOS takes control, starting the power-on self-test (POST) and passing control over to the boot loader. This is what boots your computer’s operating system. The BIOS is low-level system software that should “just work” without getting in your way.

If you want your laptop to work better and quicker a bios update does nothing, if you want to do a proper and a workable upgrade change to a 2.5" SSD drive, upgrade to the max compatible Core i7-640M CPU and to the max DDR3 speed and capacity memory as all this will improve your performance by at least 200% as just upgrading the cpu will give you a related performance improvement from an i3 cpu to the i7-640M of 35% (do a Crucial System Scan) to find out all the compatible and max memory and SSD drives that are compatible with your Aspire 4741. 

With the Aspire 4741's last bios which is the Version: 1.31, if you look there is no description to what this bios update does? Except that the previous bios updates were all related to the gpu of the 4741G that has the nvidia graphics only, which would not make any difference to your Aspire 4741 as you are running the "Intel HD graphics" only, bios updates are not like usual updates and they are only supposed to be updated for what the specific things that their titles fixes, hence and in your case and if your laptop is functioning 100% leave it alone as the only bios that is related to your mobo and Aspire 4641 is the Version: 1.12 titles "Supports Intel i5 450 CPU" and that is the one that you should be running with your mobo. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

• JackE
    If Win10 seems to be running OK with your  current BIOS firmware, then no update is needed. You should be fine.

Jack E/NJ

• 0Steppher0
    StevenGen said:

First and just to explain to you what the bios does, the bios is not OS related and the BIOS stands for Basic Input/Output System. When you power your computer on, your BIOS takes control, starting the power-on self-test (POST) and passing control over to the boot loader. This is what boots your computer’s operating system. The BIOS is low-level system software that should “just work” without getting in your way.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.
    StevenGen said:

If you want your laptop to work better and quicker a bios update does nothing, if you want to do a proper and a workable upgrade change to a 2.5" SSD drive, upgrade to the max compatible Core i7-640M CPU and to the max DDR3 speed and capacity memory as all this will improve your performance by at least 200% as just upgrading the cpu will give you a related performance improvement from an i3 cpu to the i7-640M of 35% (do a Crucial System Scan) to find out all the compatible and max memory and SSD drives that are compatible with your Aspire 4741. 

Yes, I'm in that process. But the reason why I want to update my BIOS is that the HDD caddy (where I want to put my original HDD in it and put my new SSD to the main SATA port) can't be detected by my laptop...and someone said on a website that updating BIOS will make my laptop recognize my HDD caddy. 
    StevenGen said:
    as the only bios that is related to your mobo and Aspire 4641 is the Version: 1.12 titles "Supports Intel i5 450 CPU" and that is the one that you should be running with your mobo. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

But when I tried to update the BIOS to that version, it says "bios flash fail" or something like that.

Do you think if I dual boot windows 7 and windows 10 (my current OS) and update the BIOS in Windows 7, will it work?
  • 0Steppher0
    edited March 2022
    JackE said:
    Yes, Win10 is running fine. But someone said on a website that if I update my BIOS...that will fix my problem(my laptop can't detect my HDD caddy but my sister's laptop can)
  • JackE
    You seriously risk bricking the machine with a BIOS update meant to be run from Windows 7, not from Windows 10. Furthermore,  the updates were primarily meant for factory equipped laptops that had serious problems running Windows 7, not Windows 10. I strongly advise against trying to force a BIOS update that has already failed once on a machine that was not originally designed to run Windows 10 with an HDD caddy.

Jack E/NJ

• 0Steppher0
    JackE said:
    You seriously risk bricking the machine with a BIOS update meant to be run from Windows 7, not from Windows 10. Furthermore,  the updates were primarily meant for factory equipped laptops that had serious problems running Windows 7, not Windows 10. I strongly advise against trying to force a BIOS update that has already failed once on a machine that was not originally designed to run Windows 10 with an HDD caddy.
    If it's that risky for my laptop to get bricked then I won't update my BIOS. Thanks for the advice!
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,801 Trailblazer
    JackE said:
    If it's that risky for my laptop to get bricked then I won't update my BIOS. Thanks for the advice!

0Steppher0 what BIOS version are you running on your Aspire 4741 now? As the Acer win flash bios application file should install automatically as I’ve updated BIOS’s many times on a laptop that came OEM with Win-7 like the Aspire 5750 and that updated was done on Win-10 with the Aspire 5750 BIOS file that was intended only for Win-7 (btw, this 5750 had all the hardware upgrades I’ve mentioned above) and this laptop had an MBR/Legacy BIOS without any errors or faults and it flashed 100% to a new BIOS version. 

It could be that your Aspire 4741 BIOS chip (due to its age and the climate conditions that this laptop was used under) its chip is damaged and corrupted and could be on its way out so, be very careful as any new bios flash could damage the bios chip completely and brick your laptop and you will have to get an experienced tech with proper tools to replace the bios chip with a new one (which is very doable and not expensive but the biggest cost is getting it replaced) so be careful as that has happened to me many times on old laptops and old desktops and I had to replace the bios chip which I’m experienced in doing and have all the tools.

With the upgrades, the DVD caddy and your old spinner HDD (that you are using as a slave drive) it should be a PnP and be detected straight away in File Explorer and Disk Manager, if not then the drive is not formatted properly or its damaged or the motherboard SATA/power combo plug has something wrong with it, so check that and that the HDD in the caddy is installed properly and is making full contact with the SATA/power plugs on the motherboard. Btw, I've done these DVD to HDD caddy swaps many times on old Acer Aspire 5750 and V3-571G and alike laptops and they always worked perfectly first up and were recognised in Disk Manager and File Explorer without any BIOS updates or problems, so you don’t need a BIOS update for this HDD to work.

• 0Steppher0
    StevenGen said:

what BIOS version are you running on your Aspire 4741 now?

In the system information, it says Phoenix Technologies LTD V1.04, 3/2/2010.
    StevenGen said:

if not then the drive is not formatted properly

Well the HDD is from my 2nd laptop and there is many files in it, so I didn't formatted it yet.
    StevenGen said:

or its damaged

I already checked the HDD's condition and its healthy and working properly.
    StevenGen said:

or the motherboard SATA/power combo plug has something wrong with it

I tried plugging the CD tray/Optical Disk Drive and insert a CD...and its working and I can play movies.
    Laptops DVD drive button isnt ejecting the disc(picture is from internet)
  • JackE
    I suggest that you not try to force fit your Win7-era laptop to work with internal adapters that are designed around newer mainboards. Please show a phone photo of your BIOS Information and Main tabs if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Caddys often don't work as expected. Your BIOS seems to be set up perfectly to swap out the rather ancient WD 250GB HDD with a much faster and much bigger SSD up to 2TB. An SSD will give you the biggest speed bang for the buck for this old machine. Instead of trying to shoehorn and force-fit the old HDD inside the case, I suggest that you simply buy an inexpensive 2.5" USB-to-HDD adapter to be able to use the HDD whenever you want without adding more weight and losing the DVD capability which often comes in handy even nowadays.

Jack E/NJ

• 0Steppher0
    JackE said:
    Caddys often don't work as expected. Your BIOS seems to be set up perfectly to swap out the rather ancient WD 250GB HDD with a much faster and much bigger SSD up to 2TB. An SSD will give you the biggest speed bang for the buck for this old machine. Instead of trying to shoehorn and force-fit the old HDD inside the case, I suggest that you simply buy an inexpensive 2.5" USB-to-HDD adapter to be able to use the HDD whenever you want without adding more weight and losing the DVD capability which often comes in handy even nowadays.

Its the first time hearing about that device(USB-to-HDD), but wouldn't it affect the transfer/read speed of the HDD since the USB port in my laptop is 2.0?
  • JackE
    Your old SATA2 HDD and interface is slow to begin with.

The idea here is to be able to access the old slow HDD and get the stuff off you use often or even all of it over to the much faster SSD. The real world speed difference between accessing this old drive through a caddy interface vs a usb2 port won't be noticeable.

You're absolutely not going to want to run disk intensive operations from the old drive anymore when you've got an SSD installed. Not via a caddy. And not via a USB port. The big difference is that there's virtually no risk of bricking with the USB vs trying to force this old drive work in a way your old mainboard doesn't like.

Jack E/NJ

• 0Steppher0
    JackE said:
    Your old SATA2 HDD and interface is slow to begin with.

The idea here is to be able to access the old slow HDD and get the stuff off you use often or even all of it over to the much faster SSD. The real world speed difference between accessing this old drive through a caddy interface vs a usb2 port won't be noticeable.

You're absolutely not going to want to run disk intensive operations from the old drive anymore when you've got an SSD installed. Not via a caddy. And not via a USB port. The big difference is that there's virtually no risk of bricking with the USB vs trying to force this old drive work in a way your old mainboard doesn't like.
    Then I guess I'll settle on USB-to-HDD, better than breaking my laptop...Thanks for answering even though it's not about the question I ask(BIOS). :)
  • JackE
    >>>But when I tried to update the BIOS to that version, it says "bios flash fail">>>
    >>>Thanks for answering even though it's not about the question I ask(BIOS).>>>

Sorry you were disappointed in my earlier advice to not keep trying to flash the BIOS. Simply disregard the advice and failure notice if you want to keep trying it anyway.

Jack E/NJ

• Aike
    Aike Member Posts: 3 New User

no need to update the BIOS, I've tried it. standard laptop 4741, upgrade i3 to i7-740m, upgrade memory 2x4gb (Crucial 2rx8), second ssd/hdd caddy 12.5mm can be read SSD WD BLUE, and now I installed Windows 11 23h2.

• Aike

sorry..., processor i7-640M 🙏🏻

No i7-740m🙏🏻

• Aike

Windows 11 23h2 on Acer Aspire 4741G