My C Drive is almost full (26GB remaining) TC-895-UA92

royturner
royturner Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

My C Drive is almost full (26GB remaining) and I have tried using the method described to merge C & D drives.  I have deleted the volume on the D drive, then clicked through to the C drive but the extend volume is greyed out - so I cannot complete the process.
How can I merge the two drives to allow me more memory?

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Best Answer

• royturner

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Sorted now used a paid for utility (EaseUS) to move the partition.  It cost but it got it done.  Thanks for all the help.

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Just move or copy and paste between the drives, better yet is to get a external hard drive to keep your data files.
    What is the model # of your computer and the HDD size etc ????
  • Can you send a screenshot of disk management too?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Yes, if the partition layout shown in Disk Management has a recovery partition between the system partition (C: drive) and the now empty area that was the data partition you will need to use a partition move utility to move that recovery partition to the end of the drive before you can expand C:.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • royturner

Tinkerer

The PC is Aspire XC780.  The drive capacity is 500Gb for C & D
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @royturner

I agree with @Larryodie that using an external USB HDD will solve the problem.
    Nowadays, a 2 TB external HDD is just about USD $60, a 5TB can be about USD $120, and you can save plenty of efforts and headaches like what you are encountering.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    I just installed Win 11 on my TC-895-UA92 and noticed that my C: 512 (actually 475 GB) is down to 34GB as the Old Windows file is 30GB, I'm not sure what it was to begin with. I just copy paste my pictures files to a USB & External for back up. My D drive is total of 14.5gb. I may need to get a Sata SSD ?

• ttttt
    @royturner

Another way is using a cloning software and an USB external adapter cloning from the source ( the old drive) to the target (the new drive with higher capacity). This can retain all your current data and having a higher capacity drive. Reformat the old drive later.
  • royturner

Tinkerer

There seems to be a Recovery partition (1GB) between Drive C & D.  Can I merge into this as this stops me from merging C & D
  • ttttt
    @royturner

That recovery partition will help to reset to factory condition. You can keep your existing data but the Windows will need to be  updated from day one. Since you are encountering problem when trying to merge drives, I'll still suggest you to use cloning software or external HDD/SSD (or both).
  • Can you send a screenshot of disk management so we can check all drives?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Use something like "MiniTool Partition Wizard Free" to move that Recovery partition to the very end of the disk. That will give you unallocated space adjacent to the C: drive. At that point you can expand C: to fill the full space.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • royturner

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Sorted now used a paid for utility (EaseUS) to move the partition.  It cost but it got it done.  Thanks for all the help.