XC-1660G-UW93 Samsung 980 Pro

Options
Ka4nmx
Ka4nmx Member Posts: 10 New User
This is not so much as a question, but an FYI. I replaced the Kingston NVMe hard drive with a Samsung 980 Pro 1TB. Just wanted to share the results.

This is the Kingston HD

This is the Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @Ka4nmx

Since SS980 Pro is a gen 4 M.2 NVMe SSD, you overpaid for using it in your XC-1660G-UW93. Other high end gen 3 drives can achieve similar performance at about half the price.

@prunemaster, can you clarify "I have a model TC-1660-UA92 which gets dismal CrystalDiskMark rating after Powerup.
    But it gets the expected full speed performance after Restart" ?

Just exactly what full speed from what kind of drive?
  • ttttt
    Options
    @prunemaster

The Xc-1660G-Uw93 uses 11th gen CPU i5-11400, close to 39% faster than i5-10400. 

Let's see how @Ka4nmx will respond about cold and hot boots.
  • Ka4nmx
    Options
    prunemaster. This would be after a cold boot. As I did the test on the installed HD. Shut down the computer, unplugged power, and replaced the drive with the new samsung HD. Note: I created a Image of the original installed HD using Acrionis True Image. After installing the new samsung 980, I installed the image I made of the old HD. Powered off, cold boot. Then ran CrystalDiskMark on the newly installed 980.

ttttt. I don't think $149 is over paying for a 1TB NVMe. You might.

• ttttt
    Options
    @Ka4nmx and @prunemaster

Other B560 chipset motherboards have gen 4 M.2 slots and PCIe 4.0  x 16 slots to use Intel 11th gen CPUs, but unluckily Acer is the only manufacturer that I know of that can use 11th gen Intel CPUs but only get gen 3 M.2 slots ( and probably the x 16 slot too). I got that confirmed by other XC-1660G-UW93 and TC-1660 users. Was suprised to find out, as I anticipated motherboards that use 11th gen Intel CPU should support gen 4 slots.

The reason that I made the comment that @Ka4nmx overpaid for the drive was because @Ka4nmx paid for the price of a gen 4 drive while only getting gen 3 performance.

@prunemaster, thanks for the info. Even though I have several adapters for X16 slot, still can use a couple more. The x16 slot is considered a mobile slot for me switching between different Linux versions and different Windows.
  • Ka4nmx
    Options
    prunemaster:
    I never even consider a M.2 to x16 adapter. That is way cool, thank you. I am going to order two on my next order. I will try the 980 in one and let you know the results. The other one I am going to stick into my ole Gateway DX4860 and see what it will do. I am currently running samsung 860 EVO's in it. But, a different story for a different day.

Below are the new results of cold vs reboot

Cold Boot

Reboot

• Ka4nmx
    Options
    Just for kicks.... Kingston vs  980 pro using Partition Wizard test. These where made the same day when I first received the 980.

Original Kingston HD

Samsung 980 Pro

• Ka4nmx
    Options
    prunemaster: I ordered a NVMe adapter today and I have a spare 980 EVO pro that I plan to test with this adapter.

I ordered:

I will post the results here when I get it