Impossibile to update from 1909 to 21h1 windows10 - TravelMate 5744

ced2dv
ced2dv Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited March 2022 in TravelMate and Extensa
Hi.
On my TravelMate 5744 its impossibile to update windows10 from ver 1909. I try with bootable usb with iso, mediacreation tool, manually download from Microsoft...but the same message at the end of installation: error 0x80070652.
Someone has the same problem?
Any ideas to solve?

[​//Edited the content to add model name]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    That is typically an issue with the downloaded updates, try resetting the software distribution folder:
    Before carrying out this procedure, disconnect from the Internet. That means turning off Wi-Fi and disconnecting from a wired connection. If you don't, Windows 10 will indicate some files are in use and cannot be modified or the command will be non-responsive. Also, you should restart your computer after disconnecting from the Internet. The easiest way to do it is to enable Airplane mode from the Action Center - Windows key + A.

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.
    2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop cryptSvc
    net stop bits
    net stop msiserver
    3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.
    ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
    4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Typethe following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.
    net start wuauserv
    net start cryptSvc
    net start bits
    net start msiserver
    5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it and then restart the computer.
    That will start you fresh in those folders, so the next time you run Windows Update it will take longer than normal, but it should succeed.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ced2dv

Tinkerer

Thanks Billsey...unfortunally this procedure doesnt work for me....always the same error 0x80070652...
    Any other ideas?
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,717 Pathfinder
    @ced2dv try to post this problem on the Microsoft community.  The assistants are helpful and smart. They once helped me with Windows 11 update problem that I could not find out why.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • billsey
    edited March 2022
    Can I assume you have already tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter? If so, can you post as an attachment your update logs?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ced2dv

Tinkerer

The Windows Update Troubleshooter detect nothing to repair :s
    Log of update in attachment.
    Thanks for your help :)
  • billsey
    Thanks, that log helps. What are you using for an antivirus? Does it also provide a firewall? It could easily be blocking the update downloads. The error I see first is a "Download job failed because of insufficient range support" which usually points to a proxy issue or a firewall issue. The download in question is around 3.5GB in size, so it's likely the big OS update for 21H1. Can you have WU do the others one at a time?

• ced2dv

Tinkerer

my antivirus is TrendMicro, i disinstalled the agent before try to update. Same result error 0x80070652....
    You said "Can you have WU do the others one at a time?", what do you mean?

• billsey
    "WU" Windows Update. The suggestion is that rather than just letting it do its stuff, with the failure, you try doing just one update at a time. I expect that some will work fine and the only real failure will be with the big update. Another possibility is to do an 'in place' update with the 21H1 OS install ISO. That bypasses the WU process and just installs the new version over the version in use.
  • ced2dv

Tinkerer

I understand what you suggested...i can try but i dont know the order and the name of every single update file, can you help me?
    With an 'in place' Update i will lost my files and my settings?

• billsey
    It doesn't matter which order you do them, if one supersedes another the other just won't be listed when you next check for updates. An in place upgrade of the OS will not remove any of your apps and data unless an app is specifically known to fail with the new OS version, and that is really rare.
  • ced2dv

Tinkerer

Thanks Billsey...
    i've tried with "in place" upgrade but the same error...***** :'(
  • billsey
    OK... did the rest of the smaller updates complete? You should be at a state where the only update offered is the big one, right?
  • ced2dv

Tinkerer

yes correct!
  • billsey
    OK, let's dive into the big one then, since everything else has made it through. Fire up System Configuration (msconfig.exe) and verify it is set to a normal startup then shut down. Wait a bit and turn it on and as soon as you are logged in go to Windows Update and try the update. Pay particular attention to when it fails. During a normal update it will reboot itself a few times and we want to have the best chance of finding where the error is. When it has failed let me know where it was and we'll dig deeper into the log files.
  • ced2dv

Tinkerer

the update procedure to the Feature Update Win 10 20H2 did the reboots automatically. at the end, the pc asks to be restarted and at the next restart a popup appears impossible to install win 10 "
    Logs in attaches
  • billsey
    I see a lot of network failures. Have you tried downloading the package and installing from a local copy yet? Use the Microsoft site and download the ISO ( if you haven't already), place it on a drive that has enough free space then right click on the file and ask it to mount. Once it's mounted run the setup and let it handle the upgrade.
  • ced2dv

Tinkerer

ive already tried....with 3 different iso:
    win 10 ver 2004
    win 10 ver 21h1
    win 10 ver 21h2
    with media creation tool, on a USB bootable...
    the same error 0x80070652 :s

• billsey
    I can't remember, have you tried running SFC and DISM on the system yet?
  • ced2dv

Tinkerer

Yes, alredy tried....
  • billsey
    OK, my guess is the best next step is going to be a clean install. You will want to backup all your data and have any apps you are using ready to be reinstalled. Then do a bare metal backup so if worse comes to worst you can get back to where you are now. Boot from the 21H2 install image and when the installer gets to the point where it asks where to install, manually delete all partition on the drive and install to the full disk unallocated space. That will force Windows to recreate everything from scratch.