M4640g i7 How to use a different product key?

will2power
will2power Member Posts: 1 New User
I have a Veriton M4640g i7 that I rebuilt. I put a new SSD hard drive in it. It came with Windows 7 so I tried loading Windows 10 on it from a USB drive. I have a Windows 10 home license, which I purchased. It is not the OS that came with the  PC. When Windows 10 finished loading, the Activation area says it's Windows 10 Pro and already has a product key in it, which is NOT the one that came with my Windows 10 home disk. I tried to enter the product key from the link on that page but it will not let go of Windows 10 Pro or the License key that it says that I have installed. I haven't found that license key anywhere, nor do I want to use it. I want to use the OS that I purchased. Can someone tell me how to force it to let go of that product key? I read somewhere that a lot of PCs store that information in the BIOS, but I can't see any section in BIOS that would allow me to remove or change it. 

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @will2power

If I were you, I'll be happy with a Win 10 Pro instead of Win 10 Home, as Win 10 Pro is more powerful and can enable virtual memory environment. Being an originally Win 7 PC, there maybe some old 32-bit programs that probably will be still useful, that can be used under virtual environment, and that is only available under Win 10 Pro.

I cannot remember how to force changing the product key off head, but will look it up and probably come up with it within a couple days, if you still insist on using the Win 10  Home.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    From the Activation page in Settings you can use the change my key option to go from Pro to Home.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.