USB WiFi adapter for 2007 Aspire ASPIRE T-180

suzukizone
suzukizone Member Posts: 4 New User
Originally posted in the laptop section in error.

I have ACER ASPIRE T-180/Windows Vista.  Built in Feb 2007.  Previously used Ethernet cable from DSL or Comcast. No WiFi function was ever installed by ACER. 

I need a USB WiFI adapter compatible to receive internet from WiFI hotspot I use.  TP-Link had one listing it worked with VISTA BUT said I must find "Version 1" as Versions 2 & 3 just wouldn't work.  No way to tell what AMazon has but likely NOT Version 1. 

(https://www.amazon.com/Tl-Wn823n-Wireless-Mini-Sized-One-Button-10-4-10-8/dp/B00URXXFNY/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2VS8IRA4APFGV&keywords=tp+link+wifi+adapter+for+Windows+VISTA&qid=1647118713&sprefix=tp+link+wifi+adapter+for+windows+vista,aps,339&sr=8-5)

TechKey has one:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-1200Mbps-TECHKEY-Wireless-Network-300Mbps/dp/B07J65G9DD/ref=sr_1_3?crid=37IS2RVN85TEI&keywords=techkey+wifi+adapter+for+windows+vista&qid=1647118814&sprefix=tech+key+wifi+adapter+for+windows+vista,aps,134&sr=8-3

& it lists VISTA but after I heard the "Version 1" caution I am leery about ordering anything I'd have to return.  Does anyone have experience with the specific setup I have and have a product that will work?
Thanks from a totally Non-Tech capable geezer.

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Best Answer

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,091 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    @suzukizone the TechKey will have the driver for Vista: https://www.mytechkey.com/pages/driver
    Btw, you can also update to Windows 7 as this one is a replacement for the old Vista.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • suzukizone
    edited March 2022
    thanks for your replies.  Do you know if it is possible to update this old "steam powered" rig to Windows 7 or higher?  If so would the update come on a CD?

Appreciate.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Heck, you might be able to update to Windows 10, but either W7 or W10 will require buying an upgrade license, since Vista->10 was never a free offer.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • suzukizone
    Thanks, Billsey.  Trying to figure out right now if it is actually possible for me to upgrade to Windows 7 or higher on this unit.  Then if so, what would it cost me, finally then would I be able to successfully be able to use the USB WiFi adapter of other device to occasionally download some computer games.  The only reason we even still have this computer is for my wife to play these Hidden Object Games.  It would only be online for the time needed to purchase & download  new ones.  Might be cheaper to buy a used PC with built in WiFi capability.

Thanks again
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Get a cheap tablet to play the game. Upgrading a Vista machine is frugal, I have been there.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Also Acer has some very reasonable priced Chrome Books and Acer Laptops with SSD Hard Drives are amazingly cheap and FAST.
    I've wasted lots of time trying to upgrade an Acer Vista. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Pretty much all Vista systems work with W7 and most of those also work with W10, albeit slowly. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.