Graphics card not detected I get errors saying I do not have a graphics card

Flabiom
Flabiom Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited January 2023 in Windows 11

After installing windows 11, my HDMI no longer works and my graphics quality has suffered.

I see that I am getting the following error on my Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor.

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

The driver trying to start is not the same as the driver for the POSTed display adapter.

I have tried everything I can find online to fix, nothing works. I have uninstalled and reinstalled using the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant

I have repaired windows 11

I have tried installing drivers and stuff from Acer and Nvidia

I get errors saying I do not have a graphics card

Nothing I do seems to help

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,771 Pathfinder
    @Flabiom try to use display driver uninstaller to completely wipe the old driver.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Flabiom

Tinkerer

Thanks, did that.  When removed tried to install new one from ACER and NVIDIA, each time failed to detect graphics card. It's like the card isn't even in my laptop
  • AnhEZ28
    @Flabiom do you still see two GPUs in the device manager section
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • Flabiom

Tinkerer

The only thing I see are two items under Display Adapters:
    Intel UHD Graphics 630
    Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
    and they both have yellow Exclamation points

The NVidia Graphics card is missing
  • AnhEZ28
    @Flabiom go to the Nvidia website and get the latest driver to see if it recognizes the GPU.
  • Flabiom

Tinkerer

Yeah, tried that, says I do not have a graphics card.
    Looking at the Devic manager, I just noticed that I have a few other items with exclamations. Not sure what they are or do

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Do you have a graphics card in a PCI slot ?
  • Flabiom

Tinkerer

I do not know, it is an Acer laptop. I do not think it has slots to trade stuff out 
  • AnhEZ28
    @Flabiom try to go to the Acer support site, locate your model and download some drivers like chipset driver, turbo boost driver, anything that is missing from your laptop. For the Nvidia, just let the Nvidia driver installation extract the folder (remember the folder location). Once it is done, open device manager, right-click the Microsoft Basic adapter, update the driver, browse the driver, let me pick from the list, have disk, and locate the folder that Nvidia installation have just extracted.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    edited March 2022
    What Acer laptop do you have? Which NVIDIA GPU is in it? It looks like you just need to remove the Basic Display Adapter from Device Manager, then install the appropriate driver from NVIDIA before rebooting the machine. This typically happens when doing a clean install. Windows doesn't know about your GPU so it install the BDA, but since the hardware is being handled by the BDA the normal drivers don't install.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Flabiom

Tinkerer

I have Nitro 515-53-52FA
    Gforce GTX1050
    Tried removing the display adapter and install from Nvidea, but I get an error that says I cannot install the NVidia driver because it says i do not have a graphics card 
  • AnhEZ28
    @Flabiom did you try to do a manual driver install from device manager?
  • Flabiom

Tinkerer

For nvidia yes
    The PCI stuff under other where could I find? I looked
  • Flabiom

Tinkerer

One other note. This laptop is 3 years old and researching the problem I found a lot of others with same computer and same problem. My son also has same computer and has had other issues over the last year. Hate to say this but I think it’s ACER. 
  • Neehar
    Neehar Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    What Acer laptop do you have? Which NVIDIA GPU is in it? It looks like you just need to remove the Basic Display Adapter from Device Manager, then install the appropriate driver from NVIDIA before rebooting the machine. This typically happens when doing a clean install. Windows doesn't know about your GPU so it install the BDA, but since the hardware is being handled by the BDA the normal drivers don't install.
    I have the same problem, but im not able to install the nvidia driver because its showing that it couldnt find the compatible graphics hardware..
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    @Neehar you should ask your question in a new thread. I'll ask the same questions though, what Acer laptop do you have? Which NVIDIA GPU is in it? Show us a screen shot of Device Manager with the Display Adapters expanded.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • HYP3RN1Nj4
    HYP3RN1Nj4 Member Posts: 3 New User

@Flabiom Hey dude did you find any solution? I have the same problem and its a pain in the cake.

• Flabiom

Tinkerer

My solution was to shelve it and buy a different brand. Got no help from Acer and the issue was confirmed as a hardware problem. Not software. Like my graphics card was not even in the laptop. So good riddance.

• HYP3RN1Nj4
    HYP3RN1Nj4 Member Posts: 3 New User

@Flabiom Dang man i dont have money to buy another gaming laptop i have this lappy for 3 years now it gives up on me i was not ready for this im gonna get bad frame rates.

• Flabiom

Tinkerer

edited January 2023

I know man. I felt the same way. I couldn’t play anything.