120hz laptop supports 165hz monitor? - Acer nitro x240yp

Options
morale3
morale3 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2022 in Monitors
Hello, I am interested in buying this monitor as an external display for my laptop. I want to use my laptop "IdeaPad Gaming 3 15ARH05" which has a 120hz display and a HDMI 2.0 port, to connect to an external display Acer nitro x240yp 165hz acer monitor via the HDMI cable provided with the monitor. Will the monitor still output 144hz even if my laptop display is capped at 120hz?

[​//Edited the content to add model name]

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,561 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If your Ideapad's HDMI OUTPUT port supports 144MHz refresh rates,  then yes the ACER's HDMI INPUT port will accept and display 144MHz refresh rates. In other words, the laptop controlss the monitor refresh rate capability, not the other way around.

A quick google search suggests the 15ARH05's HDMI output port probably supports 144MHz refresh rates. So you must confirm my quick search on the Lenovo laptop forums.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,561 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If your Ideapad's HDMI OUTPUT port supports 144MHz refresh rates,  then yes the ACER's HDMI INPUT port will accept and display 144MHz refresh rates. In other words, the laptop controlss the monitor refresh rate capability, not the other way around.

A quick google search suggests the 15ARH05's HDMI output port probably supports 144MHz refresh rates. So you must confirm my quick search on the Lenovo laptop forums.

Jack E/NJ