Aspire XC-605 SSD Upgrade

LanceEvoX
LanceEvoX Member Posts: 4 New User
Hi there!

I`m new to community and will be very happy if someone can answer my question.

I have done a lot of upgrades to my Acer Aspire XC-605. From new case to RGB lights and GTS1650 4gb GPU upgrade.

I still have the stock 1TB HDD, which is not that bad actually, but i want to upgrade to SSD.

Is it possible to add extra storage SSD?

As i understand the one which would be compatible for the motherboard of XC-605 would be 2.5'' SATA SSSD 

Can I have the HDD as the main storage for windows etc., but use the SSD for storing the games and other things i want to run faster?

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @LanceEvoX

Yes, you can use even 2 TB 2.5" SATA3 SSD and making it your boot drive.
    I'll suggest using a cloning software and an external USB adapter to clone the existing drive to the new SSD.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    And I really suggest you use the SSD as your system drive and only put data on the HDD. The SSD will be so much faster that you really want both the OS and the games running off it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • LanceEvoX
    @ttttt @billsey

oh, wow that was fast answer. Thank you guys.

Yes i`m looking forward to use the ssd as boot device as well. 

By any chance can I connect both, my SSD and HDD, and set my SSD as boot device without cloning it trough USB device?

I have CCleaner Pro and as i saw it offers some kind of cloud (or smth like that) disk drive transfer, is it possible?

Thank you very much for fast answers. :smile:

• LanceEvoX
    Oh i see the answer in @billsey comment about using software (CCleaner) to transfer my boot (OS) device to SSD when they both are connected to PC.

Great news to hear. Going to a shop to check the SSD probably going for 500gb-1TB SSD (cuz I`m on a budget :lol:)

Just one last question. Will my BIOS, will it see the 2.5'' SSD instantly or will i need to do some changes in BIOS?
  • billsey
    Yes, not CCleaner, that has other uses. I used Macrium Reflect last time I did a clone, but there are lots of other options as well.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • LanceEvoX
    billsey said:
    Yes, not CCleaner, that has other uses. I used Macrium Reflect last time I did a clone, but there are lots of other options as well.
    Oh i see. Must have miss checked the thing CCleaner does. Tought it had te disk clone as well but no. Okey, got my SSD will try to connect and clone it as main drive for OS and keep HDD for other stuff. When i clone HDD to SSD will it wipe the HDD as well, so it can be just empty disk?
  • billsey
    It won't wipe it for you, you don't want to do that step until you are sure everything is working right on the new drive. :) Your best bet is to do the clone, then shut down and disconnect the HDD. Boot up normally and it will boot from the SSD. Test your apps and normal usage to make sure things are working as expected. Shut down again and reconnect the HDD. Then boot back up and use Disk Management to remove all partitions on the HDD, then create one big partition for your data.