Old Acer A500 needs some love

FrankE67
FrankE67 Member Posts: 2 New User
Hey all. After moving 4 or 5 times I found my old Acer A500 in a box and am having all kinds of issues with it now. Play store not working, losing internet connection, etc. 
As I said it is a:
 A500
Android version 4.0.
Kernel version 2.6.39.4+
Image version Acer_AV041_A500_RV05RC01_PA_CUS1
Build number Acer_AV01_A500_1.033.00_PA_CUS1
Image P/N FM.S14A0.00Y
I checked for updates but got the "network coverage is currently poor" message. Is this thing update able or just a paperweight now?

As to the network losing connection...I did have the screen repaired once and it has been doing that since. Maybe loose cable? If so are there any repair guides out there? I know it's not under any warranty any more!

Any help would be great.

Thanks all.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The Network Coverage error is just because the old update servers were removed several years ago. The actual updates provided for the A500 are still on the Acer support site, but likely they won't help, since I think the last OS released for it was 4.0. The issue you are seeing are all, I believe, from the OS version. 4.0 doesn't support many of the features required to run the newer apps, such as the current Play Store... The wireless issue could easily be a loose antenna cable, there is only one cable in this model, C in this image:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The Network Coverage error is just because the old update servers were removed several years ago. The actual updates provided for the A500 are still on the Acer support site, but likely they won't help, since I think the last OS released for it was 4.0. The issue you are seeing are all, I believe, from the OS version. 4.0 doesn't support many of the features required to run the newer apps, such as the current Play Store... The wireless issue could easily be a loose antenna cable, there is only one cable in this model, C in this image:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • FrankE67
    FrankE67 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Kinda what I figured. Thanks for the diagram. I'll see if I can figure out how to open her up tomorrow and see if it is a loose cable or not.