Acer Nitro 5 515 : Full black screen, except for a few lines on the top

Options
Namuu
Namuu Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited March 2022 in Nitro Gaming
Hi, I've been using an Acer Nitro 5 515 for a few months now, and I encountered some minor problems.
However, recently, a "minor" one, got more and more imoprtant : on specific situations, my screen goes fully black, except for a few working lines on the top of it.

I've encountered that problem on those situations : 
- When the screen tries to display 144Hz
- When the PC boots (I'm unable to see the "Acer" Logo)
- In the BIOS (Which is the most problematic case)

Here's an image of my PC in the BIOS:

I haven't seen any similar posts online (many black screens, but no one that had those weird horizontal lines). Would someone have an idea on how to fix it ?

Thanks !

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Replace cable. Less than $20usd. Google "full model number" and "video cable" for vendors who ship to your location. Break inside cable insulation in hinge can't be seen. Common problem due to opening and closing the lid too much.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    Do you see the same issue when HDMI out to a TV set or external monitor?

Jack E/NJ

• Namuu

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Do you see the same issue when HDMI out to a TV set or external monitor?
    No, I actually used an external monitor to switch the screen to 60Hz when it was black.
    It only does it on the laptop's screen
  • JackE
    Options
    OK, this suggests that the video cable connectors at the mainboard and base of the screen, and/or cable wires running through the hinge area are likely the issue. If you have a habit of opening and closing the lid too much, the wires sometime develop interminttent breaks due to constant flexing in the hinge area.

While it's relatively inexpensive to fix, the laptop must be opened to access the affected video cable components. If the laptop is still under warranty, you should arrange for Acer warrantu repair service.

Jack E/NJ

• OmegaPatrick
    OmegaPatrick Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I have the same laptop, the screen only works when switch to 60Hz

Any update?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @OmegaPatrick What is the exact model? Example AN515-55-58VH.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • negahertzzz
    negahertzzz Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Are there any updates on this? mine is also acting the same
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @negahertzzz What is the exact model? Example AN515-55-58VH.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Aniketd07
    Aniketd07 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Options
    I'm facing the same issue
  • Namuu

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello, a French peep told me it could be an "edp cable" problem, where it got damaged while opening / closing it.

Is there a soft way to fix it, or maybe is it something else?
    I have two photos of the edp cable, and on one side the tape got cut, but I don't know if that's enough to cause a real issue. 

It seems like it is a recurrent case with this laptop, hopefully we can find a good enough solution! 

• Namuu

Tinkerer

Options
    Double update, we saw the front and the behind of the computer and the cable doesn't seem damaged (for what we saw, there's tape covering the connections) 

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Replace cable. Less than $20usd. Google "full model number" and "video cable" for vendors who ship to your location. Break inside cable insulation in hinge can't be seen. Common problem due to opening and closing the lid too much.

Jack E/NJ

• Aditya1234
    Aditya1234 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Namuu said:
    Hi, I've been using an Acer Nitro 5 515 for a few months now, and I encountered some minor problems.
    However, recently, a "minor" one, got more and more imoprtant : on specific situations, my screen goes fully black, except for a few working lines on the top of it.

I haven't seen any similar posts online (many black screens, but no one that had those weird horizontal lines). Would someone have an idea on how to fix it ?

Thanks !

Hey Namuu
    lets connect, I'm facing the same issue, I have tried some fixes, lets discuss on it
  • Aditya1234
    Aditya1234 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Are there any updates on this? mine is also acting the same
    Hey, Is the issue resolved, any update
  • yash22
    yash22 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Namuu said:

Thanks !

Hey Namuu
    lets connect, I'm facing the same issue, I have tried some fixes, lets discuss on it
    bro iam also facing this same problem,any fixes?
  • RIR
    RIR Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

The same problem with me, 1 year, like a clock, the screen started flickering at the bottom, my first and my last acer.

• Aniketd07
    Aniketd07 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Options
  • mahmoudelsharkawy
    mahmoudelsharkawy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

did anyone find a solution for this issue?...please contact me😅

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JanCarlo
    JanCarlo Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

want to try this but would it reoccur ?

I am a student and I close and open it frequently going to computer lab to another computer lab and home.