Nitro 5 AN515-55-57C4 monitor glitching at 144hz

Options
greeny1127
greeny1127 Member Posts: 9 New User
My monitor all of a sudden started glitching when I was playing a game. I have tried restarting and reinstalling and updating drivers but that didn't work. I have an external monitor that works fine but the main one glitching and takes minutes for it to refresh the screen (photo attached). I have had this laptop for some months and have run some intensive games at 144hz no problem but this issue came out of nowhere. When I change the refresh rate to 60hz there is no issue. I have also tried putting power usage to maximize performance over battery saving.

Best Answer

• greeny1127
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Moving the lid does not affect it. But, I just tried switching it back to 144hz a few minutes ago and it runs fine. I think the computer just needed a rest or something. Or is it a chance that the fans have too much dust in them? Would that affect the screen? The computer doesn't overheat so I don't assume so. If you could provide an answer for why it happened in the first place maybe I could avoid it in the future if it happens again.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,687 Trailblazer
    Options
    Does moving the lid affect the position or appearance of the lines?

Jack E/NJ

• greeny1127
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Moving the lid does not affect it. But, I just tried switching it back to 144hz a few minutes ago and it runs fine. I think the computer just needed a rest or something. Or is it a chance that the fans have too much dust in them? Would that affect the screen? The computer doesn't overheat so I don't assume so. If you could provide an answer for why it happened in the first place maybe I could avoid it in the future if it happens again.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Moving the lid does not affect it. But, I just tried switching it back to 144hz a few minutes ago and it runs fine.>>> Or is it a chance that the fans have too much dust in them? Would that affect the screen? >>>

No. I don't think so. It is more likely that moving the lid did indeed have a delayed affect, now that you switched back. I think either the LCD video cable has intermittent conductor trace breaks in the hinge area from wear and tear of opening/closing the lid too much or its connectors at the mainboard and base of the screen need to be reseated to help clean their contacts. The glitch will likely return if this is the case.

Jack E/NJ

• greeny1127
    edited March 2022
    Options
    So it looks like you were right. The glitch is happening again. What would you recommend I do now? Also, isn't a laptop supposed to have good hinges for opening and closing since it is a laptop?
  • JackE
    Options
    I would first re-seat the mainboard LCD video cable connector. It's probably easiest to reach and the most likely connector to develop dirty contacts. It's next to the  RAM socket. You must remove 11 screws from the bottom cover and pry the cover off in order to reach the connector. Re-seat it a half dozen or so times to try to clean its internal contacts. Then put it all back together and see if the glitch re-currs. If it does, we'll go from there.

Jack E/NJ

• greeny1127
    Options
    I do not have that model so I am having trouble finding the LCD connector. Could you point it out to me on this image? This is the model I'm using. 
  • JackE
    Options
    Disconnect battery first before reseating LCD Panel connector.

Jack E/NJ