acer nitro an517-54 with windows 11 and ubuntu 20.04 doesn't switch on lcd screen after sleep mode

claudiolanfranco
claudiolanfranco Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited March 2022 in Windows 11
is it a problem of my notebook or there is some driver or configuration to modify ?
If acer nitro an517-54 in windows 11, I set to off the function : Turn On fast start-up, when exit from sleep mode it performs a complete reboot as from switch off state and it works, but the power on time is the same and too long compared with standard resume from sleep mode.

[​//Edited the content to add model name]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Does Ubuntu work OK?

Jack E/NJ

• claudiolanfranco

Tinkerer

unftunately seems to have quite the same problem in linux
  • claudiolanfranco

Tinkerer

in ubuntu when I try to put in sleep mode, it switch off display but both led of power an on remains active (if connected to power supply).
    When I try to wake up from keyboard, it semmes to react (keyboard switch on) and sometimes also the fun works, but dispaly reamins off.

The same behavoiur that I have in win11
  • Check the bios version:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Go to the BIOS MAIN tab. See what sleep/wake mode options are available. You may have to press Ctrl+S to reveal hidden options. You will probably have to try changing sleep wake mode options one at a time to see how both Win & Lin respond

Jack E/NJ

• claudiolanfranco

Tinkerer

I have install the last version 1.15 but it continues to not swith on dispaly after resume from sleep mode. Even the secondary monitor doesn't work after resume.
    I've tried also to change in bios lid open resume, but it has non effect. Fast boot is disabled. 
  • claudiolanfranco

Tinkerer

I would like to test the version 1.14 but it don't allow to install an older version ... is there any flag at launch time to force it ?
  • claudiolanfranco

Tinkerer

Update: after several test this morning: with bios 1.15 and linux ubuntu 20.04, resume from sleep mode works. (display switch on after resume). At this point it could be a problem of windows 11? or due to a wrong setup ?   I've added a second sata disk where is installed ubuntu, but I've the same problem if from bios put the M2 master disk as primary boot device, and therefore for windows the second disk is not visible.
  • Try resetting the bios by pressing f9 and then f10. Then check if the problem continues in windows 11.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • claudiolanfranco

Tinkerer

I've just try to reset bios to default, but it doesn't work.
  • JackE
    I see a possible problem. Did you convert the SATA mode from VMD to AHCI before trying to install ubuntu?  VMD is like Intel RST which ubuntu does  not handle well. You must first set Windows boot mode to SafeBoot in msconfig. Then reboot and enter BIOS to disable VMD. Then allow Windows to boot into safe mode to load AHCI drivers. Then you can change Windows to boot normally and install ubuntu in AHCI mode.

Jack E/NJ

• claudiolanfranco

Tinkerer

thanks to all!!!!  I've found the problem...  Opening the msconfig setup I remeber that several days ago I've changed in advanced option boot the number of processor. I reset to default (not checked) and magically exit from from sleep mode switch on display again.... I don't know if is it a bug or whetever, but I'm very happy to have solved this strange issue. Thanks to all participants for theur support. 
  • JackE
    Congrats on your success. Thanks for reporting back.

Jack E/NJ

• @Rik_C You need to enable safe boot on windows and then disable vmd controller in bios.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer