Random pc restarts (acer aspire 1660-004)

Balt
Balt Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
Hello. 
I bought a Aspire-1660 (004) in mid december, it recently came back from repair from what supposedly was fault ram (which was replaced, along with Motherboard). 2 Days after i have gotten it back, i have been experiencing random pc restarts, i initially thought this was related to "HID compatible headset"(may still be), as i saw in the event log about that, i changed the driver of it in the device manager to a different one, which did stop me from getting the yellow warning sign next to it after a crash in the device manager, and it did not appear in the event log at all after a crash. But as the last sentence would suggest, i am still experiencing crashes, which seem to be pretty random, as they don't seem to only appear when im doing alot or have any relation to a specific thing that im doing. 
As this is 2 days after i got it back from repair, i am very confused at what could be the problem.
Any help would be appreciated!

Best Answer

• Balt
    Answer ✓
    JackE said:
    As mentioned earlier, the error message seems to suggest a problem associated with an input device. Either one that you added to the system. Or one that came with the system. Maybe a keyboard? Maybe a mouse?

At this point, about all I can suggest short of sending it back for warranty service is to start with only whatever input devices came boxed with the machine. If it still exhibits these behavior, then try changing one by one each input device that can be easily changed to see if the problem resolves.
    Yes, it was the hyperX cloud 2 headset as mentioned earlier. Seems i have solved the issue now though, as i have had no warnings or crashes at all. What i did was uninstall the driver for it then take it out of the usb, then plug it in and install. Also changed driver in the HID-Compliant headset to the one called "HID-Compliant device", not sure which of these worked or have any idea why they worked, but they did! Thanks everyone for your time and trying to help.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer
    Where was it sent for repair?

Jack E/NJ

• Balt
    JackE said:
    Where was it sent for repair?
    Acer warranty repair, in germany somewhere. I actually believe it could be something from my side (headset possibly) causing the problem.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

When I google "HID compatible headset restarts randomly, I get hits and solutions, 
    The best way to prove is to remove the driver to test.
  • JackE
    What's the headset model  number and brand?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    When you say "crashes" are you seeing BSOD type or just a reboot without any sign as to what caused it. Do you ever get one with the headset disconnected?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Balt
    Larryodie said:

When I google "HID compatible headset restarts randomly, I get hits and solutions, 
    Testing this now.

JackE said:
    What's the headset model  number and brand?
    Hyperx Cloud 2

billsey said:
    When you say "crashes" are you seeing BSOD type or just a reboot without any sign as to what caused it. Do you ever get one with the headset disconnected?
    It is just a restart, never had a BSOD.
    "Do you ever get one with the headset disconnected?"
    I have yet to try, as they are only once every like 1-5 hours and i only use pc while having headset, but i will do that next if removing the driver doesn't change anything.
  • JackE
    edited February 2022
    >>> i only use pc while having headset>>>

Jack E/NJ

• Balt
    Larryodie said:

The headset in itself is the "HID compatible headset", if i uninstall it, it reappears if i restart my pc if my headset still is plugged in.
  • Balt
    Pc is now having trouble starting when i restart, and is getting stuck on the acer loading screen. No clue why. 
  • Balt
    Balt said:
    Pc is now having trouble starting when i restart, and is getting stuck on the acer loading screen. No clue why. 
    Re-installed windows, no problems so far at all.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    I have seen that replacing the BIOS battery has solved some stuck/restart problems. 
  • JackE
    Press and hold power button till laptop shuts. Unplug headset. Then try to turn it on again.

Also, if possible, please post phone photos of the product labels that may be affixed to the keyboard top cover and bottom cover.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    If you can now start Windows again, it would be helpful if you could press WIN+R, enter 'msinfo32' and post a screenshot of the result.

Jack E/NJ

• Balt
    JackE said:
    Press and hold power button till laptop shuts. Unplug headset. Then try to turn it on again.

Also, if possible, please post phone photos of the product labels that may be affixed to the keyboard top cover and bottom cover.
    Its not a laptop. I fixed the "stuck" already, reset pc and have not had a single problem up until just now, when i got a sudden freeze. Can see in event log that theres something about the headset again. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Do you see anything in the event log at the same time as the crash, except the normal 'starting up' messages?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Balt
    billsey said:
    Do you see anything in the event log at the same time as the crash, except the normal 'starting up' messages?
    Yes, these two seem to always accompany the the restart/crash.

• JackE
    You need better video drivers. Download and install iobit's DriverBooster freeware to see if  it can find them onlne.

Jack E/NJ

• Balt
    JackE said:
    You need better video drivers. Download and install iobit's DriverBooster freeware to see if  it can find them onlne.
    What exactly do you mean by video drivers? checked it out and updated all, will return with results (whether i get more crashes etc). 
  • Balt
    Balt said:
    JackE said:
    What exactly do you mean by video drivers? checked it out and updated all, will return with results (whether i get more crashes etc). 
    Nope, still the same crash, with the same 2 "warnings" in event viewer.
  • JackE
    Not the VGA drivers. The might be drivers that allow you to interact with video thru for example a mouse, KB, game controller, touchpad, touchscreen, etc. I'm not sure which one is affected on your system.  Did you try iobit's DriverBooster freeware yet?

Jack E/NJ