Problem with dual ssd/hdd combo drive on XC-830

My XC-830 has a combo drive where the 2 drives are combined in a single unit and connected via a single sata cable. It appears that the hdd has failed as it is no longer visible in bios or windows but the PC now boots slowly (OS on ssd). I can hear a typical ' dead hdd' sound of repeated clicking during boot - this eventually ceases once the pc gives up looking for the drive. Is there a way to disable the failed drive? I am in discussion with Acer support as it is still under warranty but not to impressed so far so looking at options.

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @shirbotmin

Since you have a bad drive and needed to be replaced eventuality, why don't just open the PC and disconnect the cables for the bad drive?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    IIRC the SSD in those models was one of the first designs to use the M.2 slot. They were built with two SSD chips on the card, which doubled the size from the tiny drives that were available. Your was likely a 256GB created using two 128GB modules. If one of the modules has failed then you are in danger of losing important data, so before anything else make sure you have a current backup.
    I don't believe you are limited to the special drives they used at the time. The port is a normal M.2 2280 port with support for SATA drives (not NVMe), so you can replace the bothersome one with a newer, larger drive. I am really surprised you are still in warranty, the XC-830 was built on the Intel 2nd gen chipset, so close to ten years ago...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.