Acer Predator X28 4k 152hz panel losing signal. EDID incorrect.

Options
supergamer81
supergamer81 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 2022 in Predator Monitors
This is my second Acer Predator X28 monitor. I returned the first one due to this issue. The second monitor has the same exact issue. The EDID of the monitor is incorrect showing vertical and horizontal scan ranges from 0hz-0hz. Maximum resolution is showing 2000x1000 in the EDID. This is causing black screen issues in Windows 11. Both monitors have manufacturing dates of September 2021. Both have the exact same incorrect EDID information. Should I return this one as well or is there a firmware update that will correct the EDID information of the monitor? I have checked the Acer support site to no avail. Once again this is the 152hz Acer Predator 4k 3840x2160 28" monitor. Thanks in advance. 

[​//Edited the content to add model name]

Answers

• supergamer81
    Options
    I have attached a screenshot of the EDID for reference. 

• supergamer81
    Options
    I have resolved my own issue. I feel a bit stupid, but oh well. When factory overclocking the monitor to 152hz, the EDID information is lost/unstable. Removing the overclock and running the monitor at native 144hz has resolved all of my issues and the correct information is displayed in the EDID. The advertised 152hz overclock does come with a warning, which is very true. 
  • Zodiac011
    Zodiac011 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options

I purchased an Acer Predator X28 just a few weeks ago and I did have the screen occasionally going black, turns out it was my GPU overclocked too high, but I still sometimes have the monitor lose signal when I change in-game resolution or alt+tab out but only if the game is in Fullscreen mode, Windowed and Borderless work fine, problem is Borderless doesn't run as good and not every game has it.

I have no idea how to check the EDID, but everywhere I look my PC recognizes it at 3840x2160@152hz. The overclocked refreshrate is marketed as the refreshrate of the monitor and there really is no excuse for it to not work, I've had 3 high refreshrate monitors with overclockable refreshrates, a cheap one from Gigabyte, a mid-range one from Acer and the high-end X28 now, and the Gigabyte monitor by far worked the best. Expensive monitors (or maybe just Acer monitors) are unstable and not really worth it to me now.

I won't be buying another Acer product ever again that's for sure. I can't even talk to them without them blaming me or my PC, just look in to the issue and update the firmware and drivers, there's clearly an issue with the monitor's driver/firmware, nearly every person i've seen with an X28 has had some issue with flickering or the refreshrate. The monitor and power supply are clearly fine, or they wouldn't work at all, this indicates driver issue to me, but Driver 1.0 doesn't fix it.

• Zodiac011

Tinkerer

Options

After looking at my EDID, it shows 0-0hz as well but 144hz shows it as 0-144hz or whatever it's supposed to be

• firebolt059
    firebolt059 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options

I have the same issue. Did you get it resolved?

• Zodiac011

Tinkerer

Options

It's now 2024 and I never had them suggest anything other than sending it in for them to take a look at it or updating the driver for it.