How to charge a Switch 5 battery manually?

spludgey
spludgey Member Posts: 4 New User
My wife's Switch 5 hadn't been used for a few months and it's dead, doesn't turn on, doesn't charge, nothing.
I managed to open it up, thanks to a thread on here, but I now want to manually charge the battery.
Does anyone know what's what? I obviously assume that red is main positive and black is main negative, but I was wondering if I have to charge the two cells within the battery separately? If so does anyone know which cable is the junction of the two cells?
I assume the remaining cables are temperature sensors?
The battery is a ap16b4j if that makes a difference (I assume it probably doesn't).

Does anyone know what sort of current I can charge to? I was going to charge with 4V per cell, by the way, but only until the voltage comes up to 3.3V or thereabouts.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,926 Trailblazer
    edited February 2022
    spludgey said:
    My wife's Switch 5 hadn't been used for a few months and it's dead, doesn't turn on, doesn't charge, nothing.
    I managed to open it up, thanks to a thread on here, but I now want to manually charge the battery.
    Does anyone know what's what? I obviously assume that red is main positive and black is main negative, but I was wondering if I have to charge the two cells within the battery separately? If so does anyone know which cable is the junction of the two cells?
    I assume the remaining cables are temperature sensors?
    The battery is a ap16b4j if that makes a difference (I assume it probably doesn't).

Does anyone know what sort of current I can charge to? I was going to charge with 4V per cell, by the way, but only until the voltage comes up to 3.3V or thereabouts.

Do this to take the battery out then do the reverse to put and connect the battery back again:

1. First Disconnect the battery cable from the motherboard.

2. Pull out two sides of battery adhesive at about 5-30 degrees

3. Lift to remove the battery. (Note: remove the battery per WEEE directive where Annex VII)

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    We can't recommend a manual charge, since it can be dangerous if the battery has gotten too low. As you surmise the red and black are the charge wires, going to both cells. The wires in the middle are various sensors and maybe a serial port to read the internal stats. When these batteries get too low they shut off charging in order to minimize the chances of a fire or explosion.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.