Aspire Chromebook trackpad not working (Model: CB5 - 132T - C7 R5)

EdwarJohnAllen
EdwarJohnAllen Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 2022 in Chromebooks
Hi
The trackpad on my Chromebook model CB5 - 132T - C7 R5 has stopped working (its sometimes appears but only briefly then goes again!)
Everything else on the Chromebook seems in order, and up to date, so I'm not sure how to check if its a hardware fault and / or find a replacement trackpad.

Any suggestions are most welcome!
Many thanks in advance

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi
    The trackpad on my Chromebook model CB5 - 132T - C7 R5 has stopped working (its sometimes appears but only briefly then goes again!)
    Everything else on the Chromebook seems in order, and up to date, so I'm not sure how to check if its a hardware fault and / or find a replacement trackpad.

Many thanks in advance
    Edward.
    Hi

Many thanks in advance
    Edward.
    That's a faulty pointing device, check its connection and strip cable as shown below if its connected properly or if there is any corrosion etc that disturbs the connection to the motherboard? Or if its the actual pointing device that is faulty? This device is PnP type component that can be replaced on the CB5 - 132T, have a look at the OEM part numbers below of all the components that you may need and contact Acer in your area for these parts or look them up on the web if they are available, as you will have to disassemble the top cover to check these components and/or replace faulty pointing device components. Good luck and hope this helps you out. 

Pointing Device C
    omponents and Cable

Disassembly process of pointing device

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi

Many thanks in advance
    Edward.
    Hi

Many thanks in advance
    Edward.
    That's a faulty pointing device, check its connection and strip cable as shown below if its connected properly or if there is any corrosion etc that disturbs the connection to the motherboard? Or if its the actual pointing device that is faulty? This device is PnP type component that can be replaced on the CB5 - 132T, have a look at the OEM part numbers below of all the components that you may need and contact Acer in your area for these parts or look them up on the web if they are available, as you will have to disassemble the top cover to check these components and/or replace faulty pointing device components. Good luck and hope this helps you out. 

Pointing Device C
    omponents and Cable

Disassembly process of pointing device

• EdwarJohnAllen
    EdwarJohnAllen Member Posts: 3 New User
    Many thanks for this terrific info. Great Job. (Now I just have to decide if its worth the cost of the parts versus just plugging in a mouse!)
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @EdwarJohnAllen,

Check for updates yourself

1. Turn on your Chromebook.
    2. Connect your Chromebook to Wi-Fi.
    3. At the bottom right, select the time.
    4. Select Settings .
    5. At the bottom of the left panel, select About Chrome OS.
    6. Under "Google Chrome OS," you'll find which version of the Chrome operating system your Chromebook uses.
    7. Select      Check for updates.
    8. If your Chromebook finds a software update, it will start to download automatically.​