Aspire S24-880 - no USB boot option in BIOS

Options
StephenJ24
StephenJ24 Member Posts: 4 New User
Can someone please tell me how do you boot from USB stick when there is no option to select USB from Boot Options Menu, all there is:

Windows Boot Manager
Removable Device
CD/DVD
Lan

It just will not detect USB Stick no matter what I try

There is also no F12 Boot Menu in the Main tab of BIOS

I have searched internet all day to find solution and everything that have found I have tried and nothing works

As for emailing support that appears to be a no go as 15 minutes now and it is still trying to verify my Serial No.

Why is there no support from Acer, I need to boot from USB stick and cannot as there is no option and no help anywhere.

Am hoping someone here somewhere can help, any help to get this to work would be appreciated

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You don't see this in the BootOptions tab? Boot Menu is near the bottom...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    edited February 2022
    Options
    You need several things to mesh together in order to boot from USB. In the BIOS you want Secure Boot disabled and the F12 Boot Menu enabled. Then you want the flash drive to be configured for UEFI boot, so GPT not MBR. Once they are all correct you use the F12 to get a boot menu and Windows Boot Manager will boot from the USB.
    Secure Boot is in the Authentication tab, Boot Menu is in the Boot Options tab.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StephenJ24
    Options
    Thank you for reply.

Tried disabling secure boot no different

F12 Boot Menu is not showing in BIOS (as already mentioned)

What I find also strange is that BIOS tells me have a 500GB WD HDD installed and no SSD drive but I have a 1TB SSD drive installed (windows 10) and no HDD, that to me is weird but not really important, just need to have the option to boot from USB stick at the moment
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You don't see this in the BootOptions tab? Boot Menu is near the bottom...

• StephenJ24
    Options
    Thank you, have now got it working

Appears fault in the end was the software writing the boot disk seems did not take into account UEFI when it formatted USB stick so BIOS would not recognise the stick (which as an OAP is too technical for me to understand but that is what am putting it down to, hope someone else understand better)

Thank you again for your help am very grateful
  • billsey
    Options
    Yeah, sometimes the default is to leave the MBR/GPT setting as is, instead of setting it correctly for your use.
  • StephenJ24
    Options
    billsey said:
    Yeah, sometimes the default is to leave the MBR/GPT setting as is, instead of setting it correctly for your use.

Software overwrote the format I made to USB stick (changed it back to NTFS) there was no option in software to alter that
  • billsey
    Options
    If you were using Rufus it has a Partition Scheme setting that allows you to choose between MBR and GPT while writing the data.
  • RONCARIOCA
    RONCARIOCA Member Posts: 42 Troubleshooter
    Options

Did you eventually see a USB boot option ? Or was the USB actually the Removeable Device option ?

Did you see the BOOT Menu option and then Enabled it ?

Did the priority boot work for automatic USB booting or did you use F12 and the the Boot Menu ?