All-in-one pc (aspire C24-1651) as a monitor (HDMI IN not working) ?

Mike_Laine
Mike_Laine Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Hi, I've posted this question before, but no one had an answer, so I'm asking it again, hoping to have more success this time.

I recently bought an all-in-one pc (Acer Aspire C24-1651 / Intel Core; i7-1165G7 / Graphic Card; IrisXe).

Behind the computer there is 2 HDMI inputs (an HDMI OUT and an HDMI IN; that is one of the main reason I bought this all-in-one pc, because there is an also HDMI IN).

I was able to connect my all-in-one pc to a second screen when plug-in an HDMI cable into the HDMI OUT.

However, I was unable to use my all-in-on pc as a monitor by connecting it to my business laptop via an HDMI cable (the HDMI cable works fine, I've tried it on something else) into the HDMI IN. When I connect it, my business laptop detects the second screen, but nothing changes on my all-in-one pc (when I connect my business laptop on an ordinary monitor, it works perfectly so the laptop isn't the issue).

There is a button that opens the OSD menu (there's 4 icons);

- Computer screen with an arrow pointing from the computer outward,
- HDMI port,
- Sun (contrast/luminosity I presume)
- Exit.

I presume I need to select the HDMI port icon but for some reason, I can't navigate the OSD menu. I can't choose anything other than the exit (I try holding the button, pressing it multiple times, using my mouse, the arrows of the keyboard, the touchscreen, but to no avail).

Any suggestions ?

Best Answer

• Mike_Laine

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    After 1 ACER agent, 1 trip to the ACER repair shop, 2 more ACER agents telling to send the computer back to the repair shop, I asked to talk to a supervisor and suddenly, they were able to access my computer. Finally, after 3 hours of conversations and waiting in line today I have a good answer. They told me that the HDMI-In is for the console (like Xbox One) so I can play my console on the computer but that it cannot work as a second screen to another computer. I've tried to connect my Xbox One in the HDMI-In port and it works (the OSD menu also works when the Xbox One was connected to the AIO).

Since february 13th 2022, I've spent more then 7 hours on that problem with 3 different ACER agents but none of them was competent enough to tell me this simple reason; Sir, the HDMI-In are for console-only, not for plugging in other computers. Which would have saved me a lot of headaches, shipping [my computer could have been damage in shipping], waiting and time.

Long story short: HDMI-In of my All-in-One works with consoles, not with other computers.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    You need to enable the HDMI-In port with it connected using the OSD:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Mike_Laine

Tinkerer

Hi @billsey,

All the options are grayed out, except the Exit. How can I fix that ?
  • Mike_Laine

Tinkerer

I've chat with a tech support and they conclude that there is a hardware problem and I need to send my computer to the repair center.
  • billsey
    Let us know how that works out... It should work.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Mike_Laine

Tinkerer

My computer was return without being repaired. They say;

''Tested all HDMI ports working properly including the HDMI-In port
    NOTE: If HDMI-Input is not automatically recognized, there is another button at the right side of the Power button that selects the Input. Also please check in the Input setting of your Firewall''

Basically, I'm back to square one !! :-(
  • billsey
    Heheh, "input setting on your firewall", I wonder where they got that blather? :) Have you tried the button they describe?
  • Mike_Laine

Tinkerer

edited March 2022
    Of course I did. :-) The OSD menu is display when I pressed the button. but I can't select any else than the Exit option.

I'm in communication with an ACER agent and he is telling me that the HDMI-Out is for video and HDMI-In for audio. I don't think they know what In and Out means... I asked them to take control of my computer to check if all the parameters were fine and they say that they don't have the software to do so (those software exist since I'm a young teenager more then 15 years ago) !!!

I've also tried with my VPN off and the windows and Bitdefender antivirus firewalls off. But still nothing.
  • Mike_Laine

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    After 1 ACER agent, 1 trip to the ACER repair shop, 2 more ACER agents telling to send the computer back to the repair shop, I asked to talk to a supervisor and suddenly, they were able to access my computer. Finally, after 3 hours of conversations and waiting in line today I have a good answer. They told me that the HDMI-In is for the console (like Xbox One) so I can play my console on the computer but that it cannot work as a second screen to another computer. I've tried to connect my Xbox One in the HDMI-In port and it works (the OSD menu also works when the Xbox One was connected to the AIO).

Since february 13th 2022, I've spent more then 7 hours on that problem with 3 different ACER agents but none of them was competent enough to tell me this simple reason; Sir, the HDMI-In are for console-only, not for plugging in other computers. Which would have saved me a lot of headaches, shipping [my computer could have been damage in shipping], waiting and time.

Long story short: HDMI-In of my All-in-One works with consoles, not with other computers.
  • billsey
    Which makes no sense... The HDMI-In port doesn't know if you have connected an X-Box, a Roku, a Mac or a PC. It's just an HDMI-In.
  • Mike_Laine

Tinkerer

I know, right ?! But at least, now I know that the HDMI-In port works. It's now a matter of making it work with another computer... which I don't think any ACER agent will be able to help with, considering some of them thought the HDMI-In was to send better quality audio and HDMI-Out to send video.

I've been a bit rip off buying this computer, because one of the main reason I bought this one was because it has an HDMI-In (I wanted to us it as a monitor when I'm using my business laptop and later on when I buy a PC tower).