I want to upgrade the storage for my Acer Nitro 5 A515-53 and I have a couple of questions

Options
Spleed
Spleed Member Posts: 27 Troubleshooter
It already came with a 256Gb SSD but I need more so what can I add? Can I only add an HDD or can I add another SSD. Do I need to replace the one that I have now? What preparations do I need to do before replacing it and what models/types can I add? 

Mine is the Nitro 5 with a 1050ti gpu and 8gbs of RAM btw 

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    Could you please make sure that your model is AN515-53, if it is, you can  install another HDD in the bay if you want to increase the storage, if you have a M.2 SATA SSD you can upgrade it to a larger M.2 NVMe SSD.
    If you are want to add 2.5" HDD/SSD in the HDD bay, you don't have to do anything, just insert the drive and it will work.
    If you want to replace the M.2 SSD with a larger M.2 NVMe SSD, you need to backup the image of the 256GB SSD to another external drive(any spare HDD) using Macrium reflect, create a bootable recovery USB disk with the same program.
    Replace the 256GB SSD with the new drive, insert USB recovery disk and boot with it, connect the HDD where you have the backup image and recover the image on to the new drive.
    https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Dg0RlJuQU
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-image-your-hard-drive-using-macrium-reflect
    http://reflect.macrium.com/help/v5/how_to/restore/restore_disks_and_partitions.htm
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @Spleed

Can you provide the full model number of your laptop. I know some Nitro 5 laptops can even accept two M.2 NVMe SSD. Also, people sometimes just say they have a SSD without specifying it is 2.5" SATA3, M.2 SATA, mSATA or M.2 NVMe SSD.

I believe you are using a 256GB NVMe SSD. To verify that, you can download and run the Crystal Disk Mark program and check the sequential read speed. If the seq. read is close to 1,700 MB/s (or most likely close to 3,400 MB/s), then you have NVMe SSD. Something in the 500-560 MB/s read range, you may have 2.5" SATA3 or M.2 SATA or mSATA SSD.
    If you are using NVMe SSD now, you may need to replace it with a new and higher capacity one for upgrade.

Anyway, I'll advise getting an external M.2 NVMe SSD adapter( usually USD $15-$40), putting the new M.2 NVMe SSD ( with the capacity that you want) in this external adapter and use a cloning software such as the one mentioned by @brummyfan2 to clone the whole system from your existing SSD to the new M.2 NVMe SSD. Take out the old SSD and install the new M.2 NVMe SSD to the M.2 slot. The old SSD can be formatted later for data only or just sit it aside as a backup in case the need arise in the future.

If you can take out the back of the laptop and attach some photos here, we can be sure what you have now.

BTW, when you got your Nitro 5, did it come with an extra connection cable and 2.5" HDD/SSD bracket?
  • Spleed
    Options
    ttttt said:
    @Spleed

Can you provide the full model number of your laptop. I know some Nitro 5 laptops can even accept two M.2 NVMe SSD. Also, people sometimes just say they have a SSD without specifying it is 2.5" SATA3, M.2 SATA, mSATA or M.2 NVMe SSD.

I believe you are using a 256GB NVMe SSD. To verify that, you can download and run the Crystal Disk Mark program and check the sequential read speed. If the seq. read is close to 1,700 MB/s (or most likely close to 3,400 MB/s), then you have NVMe SSD. Something in the 500-560 MB/s read range, you may have 2.5" SATA3 or M.2 SATA or mSATA SSD.
    If you are using NVMe SSD now, you may need to replace it with a new and higher capacity one for upgrade.

Anyway, I'll advise getting an external M.2 NVMe SSD adapter( usually USD $15-$40), putting the new M.2 NVMe SSD ( with the capacity that you want) in this external adapter and use a cloning software such as the one mentioned by @brummyfan2 to clone the whole system from your existing SSD to the new M.2 NVMe SSD. Take out the old SSD and install the new M.2 NVMe SSD to the M.2 slot. The old SSD can be formatted later for data only or just sit it aside as a backup in case the need arise in the future.

If you can take out the back of the laptop and attach some photos here, we can be sure what you have now.

BTW, when you got your Nitro 5, did it come with an extra connection cable and 2.5" HDD/SSD bracket?
    My laptop is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Nitro-AN515-Laptop-i5-8300H/dp/B07C715KNT and I downloaded CrystalDiskInfo and got this 
  • ttttt
    Options
    @Spleed

This is the Crystal Disk Info program that you run, not the Crystal Disk Mark. Anyway, this provided info that you are using NVMe SSD, so using an external USB NVMe adapter for the cloning may be a good idea.
  • Spleed
    Options
    ttttt said:
    @Spleed

This is the Crystal Disk Info program that you run, not the Crystal Disk Mark. Anyway, this provided info that you are using NVMe SSD, so using an external USB NVMe adapter for the cloning may be a good idea.
    I want an internal one so can I just add one or can I only have 1 HDD and 1 SDD?
  • ttttt
    Options
    @Spleed

Your current 256GB NVMe SS is an internal one. Since you cannot provide a photo of the interior of your laptop, I can only assume it has only one M.2 slot for NVMe SSD. If you upgrade to a higher capacity NVMe SSD, you have to take out the old 256 GB NVMe SSD and replace it with the new higher capacity drive, cannot use both drives at the same time.

However, you can add a 2.5" SATA3 SSD to the probably unoccupied slot as additional data drive.

So, altogether you can have two internal drives, one NVMe and one SATA3. Normally, people use the NVMe SSD as the boot drive because of faster speed.
  • Spleed
    edited April 2022
    Options
    ttttt said:
    @Spleed

Your current 256GB NVMe SS is an internal one. Since you cannot provide a photo of the interior of your laptop, I can only assume it has only one M.2 slot for NVMe SSD. If you upgrade to a higher capacity NVMe SSD, you have to take out the old 256 GB NVMe SSD and replace it with the new higher capacity drive, cannot use both drives at the same time.

However, you can add a 2.5" SATA3 SSD to the probably unoccupied slot as additional data drive.

So, altogether you can have two internal drives, one NVMe and one SATA3. Normally, people use the NVMe SSD as the boot drive because of faster speed.
    here's the back

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

• Spleed
    Options
    here are some more. Apparently I can add a 2.5"? The exact modelbis AN515-53-55G9
  • ttttt
    Options
    @Spleed

Still do not see a photo of the back.

Yes, you can add a 2.5" SSD.
  • Spleed
    Options
    @ttttt Oh no need for an inside pic as I thought that an external ssd meant on the the outside of thr laptop through a usb connection but just found the spot on the back for a2.5
  • ttttt
    Options
    @Spleed

Adding an internal 2.5" SSD or an external USB SSD/HDD is your choice, or you can have both. 
    You are good to go.
  • TridevMumina
    TridevMumina Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I am using Acer Nitro 5 Ryzen 5 Quad core 3550H . 
    Which already consists of 1 TB HDD . Can I install A SSD drive without removing the present HDD drive , so that I can use both the drives.
    Please let me know anyone.
  • ttttt
    Options
    @TridevMumina

Don't know the exact model (including sub-model number) of your Nitro 5. It will be a good idea that you start your own thread by clicking the "Ask a Question button" at upper right hand corner of this page. 

It is a good idea to use M.2 NVMe SSD as the boot drive (3,400 MB/s read) instead of mechanical 1 TB HDD (110 MB/s read). You should be able to use both drives at the same time. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it will be a good idea that you can provide a picture of the motherboard after opened up the back.