Aspire 317-52 Upgraded to Windows 11 and the Power Button does not sleep the computer.

Bohratom
Bohratom Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited February 2022 in Aspire Laptops
I've had my Aspire 317-52 for awhile and i'ts been running fine with Windows 10. Decided to dual boot it and try out the free Windows 11 upgrade which went smoothly and have now been using Win11 for about a week. I set up the Power Option to have it sleep when "I press the power button" but it does not work. The Power button is working if I hold it for afew seconds it shuts down the laptop. Just wondering if any other Aspire 3 users are having the same issue and if anyone found a fix yet... 

These forums have been greats, fixed every issue I have had..... 

Best Answer

• Bohratom

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Just an update , the Power button still will not put my Aspire 317-52 like it worked in Win10 but I can now put it to sleep by pressing F1 for the "z" sleep function. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,782 Trailblazer
    Go to this link to update the chipset driver.

Jack E/NJ

• Bohratom

Tinkerer

Updated the Chipset driver but did not help. Thanks though...
  • JackE
    Press WIN+R. Enter 'msinfo32'. What BIOS version  number is listed in the right  pane?

Jack E/NJ

• Bohratom

Tinkerer

UEFI version 1.22 which I updated a month ago....
  • JackE
    Sorry, then you'll have to wait like the rest of us for a updates to fix these kinds of annoyances. Your lucky that's the only issue you've found so far. Others haven't fared quite as well with Win11 and even the latest Win10 update fiascos. Win10 seems still a work in progress. Win11 seems like it was prematurely released.

Jack E/NJ

• Bohratom

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Sorry, then you'll have to wait like the rest of us for a updates to fix these kinds of annoyances. Your lucky that's the only issue you've found so far. Others haven't fared quite as well with Win11 and even the latest Win10 update fiascos. Win10 seems still a work in progress. Win11 seems like it was prematurely released.
    NP Jack, appreciate the feedback.....Having the power button not sleep is no big deal....
  • JackE
    BTW, my newest laptop has this issue. But only Windows. Not Cinnamon. Just saying FYI.  :)  

Jack E/NJ

• Bohratom

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Just an update , the Power button still will not put my Aspire 317-52 like it worked in Win10 but I can now put it to sleep by pressing F1 for the "z" sleep function. 
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,522 Trailblazer
    edited March 2022
    Bohratom said:
    Yes the Sleep mode in Win-11 is definitely very frustrating as its definitely not as sleek as in Win-10 and its been messed up as usual by Microsoft! I've had this problem also with Win-10 and my new Nitro 5 and the best is to either use the old "right click Start (Win icon in taskbar) Shut down or sign out > Sleep" or you can create a "Sleep Icon" on your desktop by looking at this guide "How to Create a Windows 11 Shutdown Shortcut (or Sleep, Hibernate, Lock)" so look at that. Its a simple process and forget what Win-10 sleep was like  :D
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,107 Pathfinder
    @Bohratom check if the QuickAccess still works as this app controls the function of the power button. Or go to this website https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8404?b=1 choose Windows 10 and download the QuickAccess in the application section.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • JackE
    Thanks for reporting back. Good to know that workaround. :)

Jack E/NJ

• Anastasialll
    Anastasialll Member Posts: 2 New User

hi, I see this is old question, but I studied with this in 2024. Soil I took is triple-press. So three clicks make it sleeping, 1 long clock - shutting down