Cannot activate windows 10 home

I have entered the key several times and it keeps saying it is invalid

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,452 Trailblazer
    edited February 2022
    lqpjoiner said:
    I have entered the key several times and it keeps saying it is invalid

Go to Activate Windows as it explains there all the methods of activating windows, you need a Microsoft account so your key correlates to that specific key and its legit and is approved by Microsoft to procced with the installation, those are the conditions as there are allot of fake keys etc etc that are spread around the internet illegitimately, don't get me wrong, not that your key is not legit.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    edited February 2022
    You shouldn't have to enter a key, the OEM version has the key embedded in the BIOS. You do need to be using the same type of Windows, so likely Windows 10 Home 64bit. Trying to activate Pro or Enterprise or Education will fail without a new key.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @lqpjoiner

If your PC shipped with Windows installed, the license should be embedded in the motherboard. When you try to activate Windows, just answer "I don't have a product key". If the license is embedded, Windows will detect the digital license automatically, as long as you are not mixing up the Home, Pro and Enterprise versions as @Billsey mentioned.

You probably were using a wrong product key.