I can't get HDMI to work on my Acer B247W Monitor

Options
FeMan
FeMan Member Posts: 2 New User
VGA seems to work fine.  I'm actually using an adapter to connect from the VGA connector on the monitor to a USB-C connector on my laptop.  But I'm having trouble getting the HDMI connection to work.
When I connect using ONLY the HDMI cable, the monitor display is blank and the menu settings on the back of the monitor don't work.
When I connect using BOTH the HDMI AND VGA cable, looking at the monitor menu settings, it indicates VGA as the input (Auto Source is ON). I then manually set the input to HDMI, the screen goes dark for a few seconds and automatically reverts the input to VGA. I turn Auto Source OFF and change the input setting to HDMI, I get a blank screen and menu settings don't work again.
How do I set the monitor to use HDMI?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Options
    What is providing the HDMI signal to the monitor? You could be using an inactive port, you could have a bad cable, etc...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • FeMan
    FeMan Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Good suggestions.  I swapped the HDMI and still no luck, so I don't think it's a bad cable.  How Do I check if the HDMI port is inactive? I am attaching a screenshot from the Device manager when I have the HDMI cable connected.  When I connect using the VGA port it shows TWO Generic PNP monitors.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Options
    OK, so your laptop uses the builtin graphics from your CPU rather than a separate GPU, so it doesn't have inactive video ports like a desktop might. Since you have tried two different HDMI cables it's likely the issue is the HDMI port on the monitor. :( Are you still in warranty?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.