XC-1660G- I cannot find any technical specs on the site.

Kidkj
Kidkj Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited February 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
I have the XC-1660G-UW93. It came with space to add 2 SATA drives but came with only one power cable. Which powers the dvd and one sata drive. What cable do i get for the other drive? There is a slot on the motherboard for the cable but I cannot find any technical specs on the site. 

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,452 Trailblazer
    edited February 2022
    Kidkj said:
    I have the XC-1660G-UW93. It came with space to add 2 SATA drives but came with only one power cable. Which powers the dvd and one sata drive. What cable do i get for the other drive? There is a slot on the motherboard for the cable but I cannot find any technical specs on the site. 

Technically the SATA interface connects a hard drive or a dvd to the motherboard’s connections and there are 3 versions. Version 1 of the SATA cable can transfer 1.5 GB data per second, version 2 can transfer 3 GB data per second, and version 3 can transfer 6 GB data per second. 

The SATA version 3 cable is retailed as "SATA III Cables" see below, so get that version III only. Seeing that you only have 2x SATA power plugs from the OEM PSU and no power plug for the 2nd HDD you need to buy an adaptor like below which is a 4 pin MOLEX to SATA power (see captions below) so that you can add another SATA power connection to this extra SATA drive, its a very simple thing to do .

SATA III DATA CABLE 

SATA POWER ADAPTOR 
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Kidkj

The XC-1660G-UW93 should be using a 12-volt only power supply. This kind of 12 volt only power supply should be the future standard, but until now only Acer uses it , so consider this to be proprietary to Acer. It is only a standard PSU for Acer's new desktops.

Since this kind of issue is becoming more popular for Acer desktops, I have jolted down the part number(s) for users like you who may need it.

50.VQED3.001 is the part number, good for two drives, but may be in short supply. 

If this cable is out of stock, other users claimed that you can get 

50.B64D1.001 , this cable is longer than 50.VQED3.001 but will work.

• Kidkj

Tinkerer

TTTTT   Thank you for your input. It is helpful.  StevenGen  Thank you but I am not referring to the SATA data cable and the drive power you list has wrong motherboard connection.
    The part Acer has told me that is specified for this Model is 50.E0HD3.002. Do not know diff between this and parts TTTT listed.  So background is I was a PC repair Tech and then later held MCSE for configuring Microsoft servers. I had planned  to use this mini desktop to upgrade a existing PC I made for a HTPC and now added ability for a  gaming system where me and the wife could occasionally play split screen games etc.  I have 4500 movies and additional assorted TV shows on a 8 TB drive and a separate 1TB SSD for Home vids and pics. Must split the TV shows and the Home movies and pics off to a 5TB 2.5 drive I ordered and run the 8tb and 5TB in this system. Need this cable that you mentioned as being possible new standard but seems Acer has used it on several machines just slightly changing the specs and therefore part number. No one has the cable except UK ebay for $35. I cannot find any other manufacturers following this lead and now seem at a crossroad did I really up screw up selecting this model?   I am extremely dismayed after getting this desktop. It just seems so cheaply made. The wiring on the one existing cable that came with the unit just seems so thin but so far has supported the DVD and 8tb. Getting technical info, diagrams, etc out of Acer has been like pulling teeth. Any other input would really help.  Truely if this is the new standard some third party would be making it. 
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Did you see this post. TC-895 is a 12V only Power supply. Seems like the "Y" adapter worked OK.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/613988/tc-895-power-cable-type-from-motherboard-to-2nd-sata-hdd
  • Kidkj

Tinkerer

Actual description of the cable I need is Reference 1: 50.E0HD3.002 Name: CABLE.SATA..7P(F)*2..L220mm....R041174R.......L EAD-FREE.KIM WELL. 

It appears to be a 7 pin female both on MB and where it would connect to a 3.5 drive. Only the MB side needs to slide into a slot. .  What would that slot name be called? 
  • Kidkj

Tinkerer

So after many chats with Acer it appears TTTT is Totally correct. It is 50.VQED3.001.  full description is 

Reference 2: 50.VQED3.001 Name: CABLE.SATA POWER..6P(F)*2+15P(F)(90D).. L200+150mm....P01-1503500004.......LEAD-FREE (RoHS).HJX.  I got bad info on yesterday and chased a bad part number.  

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Kidkj

Thank you for reporting back.

If you want to use your desktop as a gaming PC, hope you will not get a graphics card that requires more than 500W, as Acer only has 12 volt only PSU with 500W maximum now.

Don't feel bad about getting this XC-1660G-UW93. As far as I can tell, you are really someone who knows the PC consumer market well. This UW93 model is the only one in the XC-1660 series that uses 11th gen Intel CPU, and it is 39% faster than the i5-10400 CPU, a big percentage increase in performance in just one generation. It sells around USD $550, and I think that is the best value desktop I can find should I want to buy one now. 

Last year I build one 11th gen CPU desktop with some existing parts and the configurations kind of similar to this UW93 model ( no graphics card) and the cost involved was higher than USD $650. Nowadays, if I build one with the exact same configuration, I'll still exceed that $550 budget (not using Acer PC case and Acer motherboard).

Acer is bad on documentations, but this Acer Community is helpful in general. Hopefully you can find enough info here.

So, happy about your purchase.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Yes, the only real difference in those cables is the length, though they do ship some models with only a single ODD connector. The socket on the motherboard is (I believe) a JST 6x1 with two each +5V, +12V and Ground.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kidkj

Tinkerer

edited February 2022
    So after much research this is what I determined.  Acer tech support advised 50.VQED3.001 for the recommended part. My search led me to Acer parts 50.U96D1.002 and 350.02202.001 from a cable reseller on Ebay.  The cable is a 6 pin female motherboard connector to two 15 pin female SATA hard disk or ODD drive connector and was at a 1/4 cost than from the certified parts dealer Acer recommended. I am running 8tb drive with no issues. Hope this helps other users.