How to connect a second display to my Chromebox CXI3?

John89
John89 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 2022 in Chromebooks
Hi there,

I have a Chromebox CXI3, Model no D18Q1, and it has only one HDMI port and one USB-C port, as you can see over here:
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/professional-series/acerchromeboxcxi3

I have connected it already to one monitor through HDMI, but I need to connect it to a 2nd one as well.

The second monitor I have is an LG 29UM69G-B monitor. You can find its specifications on the link above:
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-29UM69G-B-ultrawide-monitor

As this monitor has a USB-C port as well, I was thinking of connecting it through USB-C to my Chromebox.

After a small research about the USB-C cables, I have found this one over here as one of the best possible options:
https://www.belkin.com/us/cables/data/thunderbolt-3-cable-usb-c-to-usb-c-100w-1-6ft-0-5m-usb-type-c/p/p-f2cd084/

Would you be so kind to tell me if this Chromebox model supports USB-C connection with a display monitor and, if it does, would you prefer to connect it with a USB-C cable or should I try an HDMI splitter and input both HDMI cables in one port instead?

Thank you very much in advance.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Yes, that should work fine. Your CXI3 supports DP Alt mode on the USB-C port so should drive that monitor just fine.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • John89
    edited February 2022
    Hi there,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

That cable worked indeed, I had a picture on the monitor, BUT the resolution wasn't good enough. It was kind of blurry, the pixels weren't really clear as they are with an HDMI or Display Port cable, so I had to return the USB-C cable back, as this is for work purposes and I can't deal with resolution issues 8 hours a day every day. After a live chat I had with Belkin, they have told me that, as this cable's compatibility is guaranteed only for Macs, it might or it might not work with my Acer Chromebox model.

Currently I am researching HDMI splitters, but all I am finding is the kind that does only the mirroring. What I need is the extend mode and I am not sure if that even exists there as an option.

I am taking a look also on USB-C to HDMI cables, but I am not sure if that would make any difference comparing to my first attempt.

I guess not many options have been left there...

Any ideas anyone would like to share will be very appreciative!

Thanks a lot in advance,

• billsey
    Yes, an HDMI splitter will just give you two screens that mirror each other. It sounds like with the cable the display wasn't set to the right resolution. Can you remember what resolution it defaulted to?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • John89
    Hi there,

No, unfortunately I don't remember the resolution. It was just hard to focus on.

What I need is to expand my display, not mirror.
  • billsey
    Use the USB-C cable to connect the LG monitor. While it is blurry go ahead and see what resolution it is in. The default for that monitor is 2560x1080 and my guess is that the Chromebook is trying to send it 1920x1080 instead. That would distort everything on the screen...