Acer Aspire E5-772 How do I reinstall the touchpad driver

Options
Figgis
Figgis Member Posts: 56 Die Hard WiFi Icon
My touchpad and mouse has been playing up for some time and normally I can get it working by turning it off and on again. The past few days I have not been able to get it working so I used uninstall in the hope of reinstalling it and getting it working. I have buggered up somewhere along the way as it no longer works.Prior to uninstalling I had downloaded two touchpad drivers from this site but I can't identify how to use the ZIP download to sort my problem. I thought the download would be the file needed to get the touchpad working again but there are numerous files in the Zip folder.

The best drivers for this device are installed so I haven't got a clue what to do to get it working again.  Snaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad
Is there a later device driver that I can use and if so how do I install it.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,565 Trailblazer
    edited February 2022
    Options
    (1) Press WIN+R. Enter 'msinfo32'. What BIOS version number is listed in the right pane?

(2) Does Device Manager show any red or yellow warnings?

Screenshots would be helpful if possible

Jack E/NJ

• Figgis
    Options
    Thanks for replying. I was going to include a screen snap of the Devices but I couldn't see where or how to do it. I have the Fn + F7 turned on.

BIOS Version/Date    Insyde Corp. V1.03, 14/04/2015

• Figgis
    edited February 2022
    Options

I just noticed this message under General for Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

This device is not present, is not working properly or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)

• Figgis
    Options
    I don't have permission to attach a Screenshot.
  • JackE
    Options
    That's OK. Try these simple things first. Download and install DriverBooster freeware to see if it can pick up better drivers on line. If not, then download and install DriverPack freeware and do the same.

If still no luck, we might have to update the BIOS firmware since there is a newer version that addresses Synaptic touchpad issues. However, since BIOS firmware installations are fairly risky and can render your machine inoperable if the something goes wrong during the install, it's best not to try this till we have a bit more information on the factory-installed software that originally came with this machine. 

Jack E/NJ

• Figgis
    Options
    Driver booster has only identified the mouse drivers it has not found the Touchpad driver. There is an error with it that I told you about above:
    I just noticed this message under General for Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

"This device is not present, is not working properly or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)"

• JackE
    Options
    What was the original factory install Windows version? What version is running  now?

Jack E/NJ

• Figgis
    Options
    As the Touchpad Driver was not found by Drive Booster I decided to go through the Uninstall process again and then Download the correct Driver once again. I extracted the Zip files to the default folder and then ran the Setup.exe file and installed it.  I then restarted my PC and hoped the files would update. No such luck. Am I doing this all wrong or why the files downloaded from Acer not updating my TouchPad Driver.
  • Figgis
    Options
    JackE said:
    What was the original factory install Windows version? What version is running  now?
    Version10.0.19043 Build 19043  Version 21HI

I Bought it in September 2015 and think it was Windows 8.1 installed and I updated to Windows 10 shortly after. It is the longest lasting Laptop ever and I don't want to change it until Windows 11 is on all new PCs and the range of laptops increases.

• Figgis
    Options

I forgot to say that I was going to download Driver Pack but I received a warning about potentially damaging virus or software so I didn't download it.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Version10.0.19043 Build 19043  Version 21HI>>>

Touchpads are usually part of the USB system now and not listed as a separate driver. Sometimes updating the chipset drivers or BIOS firmware will remedy the issue. But before doing anything more, press WIN+R. Enter 'msinfo32'. In the right pane what is the BIOS firmware version number?  If it's v1.09 or earlier we may want to consider updating the BIOS to 1.10 since it addresses a touchpad issue. But don't install it till we examine some other possibilities since BIOS updates are risky and usually irreversible if something goes wrong. Finally, has the touchpad ever worked correctly under Win10?

Jack E/NJ

• Figgis
    Options

BIOS Version/Date    Insyde Corp. V1.03, 14/04/2015

I updated to windows 10 not long after buying it. That was several years ago and the TouchPad worked perfectly until a few months ago. Then I would lose the mouse pointer and the pad would not respond but I discovered that if I restarted the laptop the Touchpad would work again. I carried on doing this about every week and then every few days until last weekend when the restarting did not work. I then started to read about it and downloaded the Driver software from the Acer site. Still no success despite doing it several times.  

The Driver shows a fault in Device Manager. I don't understand what that means. Is the Touchpad mechanically faulty or is there a conflict with Windows and the Driver software. Windows update history shows the update installed successfully so why does a fault show.

The only Driver I have had a problem with was the Realtek speakers and I downloaded and reinstalled the driver a few years after I bought the laptop. It has been a wonderful and reliable laptop and is nearing it's end.

• Figgis
    Options
    After a week of uninstalling and reinstalling the Touchpad driver without success the mouse starting moving this morning after I started the PC. The mouse was moving even though I hadn't plugged in the wireless mouse. There is no logic to this. I now hope it keeps working until I find the right replacement PC.
  • JackE
    edited February 2022
    Options
    >>>There is no logic to this.>>>

There might be. Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in the left pane. If System Protection is turned on  in the box that pops up, click the System Restore button. Click next. Do you see an automatic restore point about when the touchpad started working again? If yes, it likely was an errant earlier Win10 update that caused the original problem. A new update that likely fixed problem and created a restore just in case it caused side effects that were worse than having no touchpad. :)

Jack E/NJ

• Figgis
    Options
    I create a Restore point if I'm installing new software or when I was troubleshooting the touchpad problem. I haven't reverted to that as it was created after the problem occurred. I have just checked the History and a restore point was created three times last week when I was installing drivers. There is no restore point visible for before the Touchpad stopped working. The Update history shows one or two Security intelligence updates for Microsoft Defender installed every day. The history also shows the touchpad drivers I installed. Nothing else close to the event.

I'm now accepting that I can't improve on what I have got although the buffering that had stopped when I was using the wireless mouse is back with the touchpad. I suppose if it gets too much of a nuisance I can always return to the wireless mouse. Is that a clue?
  • JackE
    edited February 2022
    Options
    If the restore point app is using default disk space, I suspect the restore point for update that might've caused the touchpad issue may have already been deleted. You might want to consider assigning more disk space to the restore point app so you have more restore poitns  available further back in time.

Jack E/NJ

• Figgis
    Options
    JackE said:
    If the restore point app is using default disk space, I suspect the restore point for update that might've caused the touchpad issue may have already been deleted. You might want to consider assigning more disk space to the restore point app so you have more restore poitns  available further back in time.
    I have about 700GB spare space on the drive but I ain't got a clue as to how I assign more disk space for the restore point. I presumed it did that automatically.

BTW, the touchpad is working well and I'm very pleased not to have the wireless mouse flying off my laptop every time I get up. There is a slow response sometimes when I'm opening a new app and the occasional 'not responding' message. This was more pronounced before the Touchpad stopped working and all but disappeared when I used the wireless mouse.

• JackE
    Options
    >>>I ain't got a clue as to how I assign more disk space for the restore point. I presumed it did that automatically.>>>

Heh-heh. You only get two clues on how to do it. Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point; Click 'create a restore point' in the left. In the box that pops up, the first clue is the configure button near the bottom of the box. Click on it. In the next box, the second clue is the DiskSpaceUsage slider. End of clues. :)

Jack E/NJ

• Figgis
    Options
    Thanks for the clues. I have doubled the space for restore point data.
  • JackE
    Options
    Good. That should give you enough room to revert back if an errant update messes it up again. :)

Jack E/NJ