Internal microphone not found / not working Switch 12S

Super8j
Super8j Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited February 2022 in Switch Series
I am at my wits end on this, please can someone help? I run an Acer Switch 12S, about 5 years old. It has always had an internal microphone which worked fine. Now the laptop is saying "No input devices found".... I don't know when this stopped working, probably after an OS update, but cannot be sure. I have run all troubleshooters, ensured the Realtek driver is completely up to date etc etc but it still says the microphone is "not plugged in" and there ae "no input devices found". I never had an external microphone, just the one in the laptop. What on earth has happened and how can I fix it? PS I am on Windows 10 21H2 which has just been updated (January 2022), but the problem has not resolved with the update. Thanks in anticipation.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    The microphone is treated by the system as another USB device, connected to an internal USB hub. If something goes wonky with that hub, the mic can either be viewed as no longer there or as some corrupted unknown device. In the former case you can sometimes find the hub as a hidden device, then uninstall and reboot to reinstall, in the latter you should see errors in DM.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Super8j said:
    I am at my wits end on this, please can someone help? I run an Acer Switch 12S, about 5 years old. It has always had an internal microphone which worked fine. Now the laptop is saying "No input devices found".... I don't know when this stopped working, probably after an OS update, but cannot be sure. I have run all troubleshooters, ensured the Realtek driver is completely up to date etc etc but it still says the microphone is "not plugged in" and there ae "no input devices found". I never had an external microphone, just the one in the laptop. What on earth has happened and how can I fix it? PS I am on Windows 10 21H2 which has just been updated (January 2022), but the problem has not resolved with the update. Thanks in anticipation.

I don’t know which exact Switch 12S model you have? But this guide is for the Switch 125 model SW7-272 which is about 5 years old. Your problem could be that the “ASSY MIC CABLE W/RUBBER*2” as shown below cable/plug assembly is dislodged or both plug and cable are faulty or damaged? If you know how to disassemble this laptop then look at this cable as and after updating drivers and your mic doesn’t work then its most likely a hardware issue.

Removing the Microphone Module

1. Remove Mainboard first.
    2. Disconnect the microphone cable from the mainboard as shown below and wherre its location is.

• Super8j
    Super8j Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    Super8j said:

I don’t know which exact Switch 12S model you have? But this guide is for the Switch 125 model SW7-272 which is about 5 years old. Your problem could be that the “ASSY MIC CABLE W/RUBBER*2” as shown below cable/plug assembly is dislodged or both plug and cable are faulty or damaged? If you know how to disassemble this laptop then look at this cable as and after updating drivers and your mic doesn’t work then its most likely a hardware issue.

Removing the Microphone Module

1. Remove Mainboard first.
    2. Disconnect the microphone cable from the mainboard as shown below and wherre its location is.

Thank you for this. Sadly I don't have the technical skills to take the machine apart, so will continue to look for software/config options.