Swift 3 314-56g SSD not visible in BIOS i was also trying to change the SSD to Crucial BX300.

hivonzoooo
hivonzoooo Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in Swift and Spin Series
I have bought a caddy for an 2,5 inch SSD, but when i boot up the laptop, WD Blue 500gb is not visible both in the BIOS and Windows.
I have tried changing the connector to the one from my DELL laptop which is the same, i was also trying to change the SSD to Crucial BX300.
Should I change the Intel RST with Optane to AHCI? I think the drive should be visible in the BIOS no matter what.
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• hivonzoooo

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    I have ordered 3 different cables and one of them finally works. I must say it - Acer parts codes are very uninformative, i don't understand why the same cable types (because i have bought it again for a different laptop model) have different numbers. Sometimes it's very hard to find them and they are also already segmented. Why doing so when they are similiar?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Bear with me for a bit... You previously had just an M.2 SSD installed and now you are adding a 2.5" SSD in the HDD slot? Was the cable between the motherboard and the new SSD one from Acer or a different one?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hivonzoooo

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Bear with me for a bit... You previously had just an M.2 SSD installed and now you are adding a 2.5" SSD in the HDD slot? Was the cable between the motherboard and the new SSD one from Acer or a different one?
    Yes, i want to use the 2.5'' SSD/HDD slot. I have asked which cable do i need to connect an 2,5 SSD before. The problem is, the part number which Acer uses (450.0E70A.0011 or 450.0E70A.0001) is almost impossible to find, at least in Poland. I have contacted official Acer Support in my country and they recommended me north.pl. I have bought this cable: https://north.pl/karta/tasma-dysku-hdd-do-laptopa-do-acer-sf314-52,BF5-ZY-C2M2-C32.html, but when it came the PIN layout is not the same, it have less pins then the connector on motherboard. So i have used a cable from my second laptop, DELL Vostro 5490 which have the same amount of PINs on the cable and fits perfectly. But even when i try to use it, my SSD in not visible both in BIOS and Windows, so it looks like it's not working properly. SSD is fine, i have checked it with external USB case.

So, i don't know if I have damaged the connector trying to use wrong cable (but i don't think so, it looks like new), or the cables are wrong. For the first time I tried to connect the cable from north.pl Windows boot up but it was stuck at Acer logo when Windows tried to load. I was able to open the BIOS and the drive was not visible. I have tried two different drives, WD Blue 500gb 3D NAND and Crucial BX300 120gb, and also two different cables. Nothing works.

My question is - can i use a different cable to connect that ***** SSD and use? I have an old Aspire V3-571g where i was able to use a DVD-Rom slot for a second SSD, but i have never thought that it will be so hard to add another drive to my Swift 3. From what i can see there is no available parts for my SF314-56g, so i have found this, could you check and say which one will work?

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru

The BIOS will not detect a SSD if the data cable is damaged or the connection is incorrect. ... Be sure to check your SATA cables are tightly connected to the SATA port connection. The easiest way to test a cable is to replace it with another cable. If the problem persists, then the cable was not the cause of the problem.
  • hivonzoooo

Tinkerer

edited January 2022
    Is there a possibility that the port on the motherboard is damaged? Everything seems to be good, when i was checking the wrong cable for the first time Windows wouldn't start, it just went into the bootloop, so there was some connection, i don't think that anything could be damaged with this. When i take it out it boots up normally.

• billsey
    It sounds to me like they shipped you a different cable than the one you ordered. Contact the vendor again and have them replace it with the correct one. Likely the Dell cable is also incorrect...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hivonzoooo

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    I have ordered 3 different cables and one of them finally works. I must say it - Acer parts codes are very uninformative, i don't understand why the same cable types (because i have bought it again for a different laptop model) have different numbers. Sometimes it's very hard to find them and they are also already segmented. Why doing so when they are similiar?
  • billsey
    Typically different numbers mean different cable lengths or slight differences in the connectors. Each laptop has it's own internal design, and in order to keep everything as thin and light as possible they don't design extra lengths into the cables in order to use the same part in multiple models.
  • AmyInNH
    AmyInNH Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Unfortunate. Also unfortunate, that cord length isn't listed in the specs.