Is my XV340CK monitor starting to fail? Screen faded to black when gaming.

id3alistic
id3alistic Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 2022 in Monitors
Before I send the monitor in for repair, I just wanted to ask in case there was some way of fixing this.

I was gaming last night and I started seeing signs of screen flickering here and there. It's nothing too crazy. Shortly after that the screen faded to black. The monitor is on and is detected by Windows. There is just no display on it. My PC is also fine so it is not the GPU as my 2nd monitor works just fine. I powered the monitor off, waited a minute or so, and turned it back on. It started working again, but shortly afterwards the same thing happened. Now I can't get it to work anymore.

I assume it's dying or failing? Is there a way to hard reset the monitor or something? I've pulled the plug and everything.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,684 Trailblazer
    There is a reset procedure, disconnect everything including power then press and hold the power button for 60 seconds. Reconnect and turn it back on. If the issue is just corruption in the settings that should fix it. The symptoms sound more like a failing power board though, which means a trip to the service center.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @id3alistic,

What cable is connected to it ? 
  • bradhahn14
    bradhahn14 Member Posts: 1 New User
    The same thing just happened to me. A few nights ago, I saw the monitor screen flickering out of the corner of my eye. When I looked up, I saw some black lines across the screen, then the image slowly faded to black. I know it's not a PC / video card issue or a video signal issue, because the monitor doesn't even display the on-screen menus built into the monitor. After leaving it off for a day or so, I turned the monitor on and it worked fine with no issues for about a day, but it just did the fade-to-black thing again once more. Now it's dead for good. The backlight is on, but nothing is displaying on the black screen.

After seeing this post, which was posted only a few weeks ago, I'm worried this is a widespread issue with this particular monitor...
  • Amilcar98
    Amilcar98 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same problem.  did you find any solution?

• Amilcar98
    Amilcar98 Member Posts: 2 New User
    My temporary solution, which seems to work, is to set the brightness to maximum and activate freesync, I don't know which of the two solves the problem or is it just a coincidence.
  • ComP1404
    ComP1404 Member Posts: 1 New User

Mine black out on July 2021 and it happened again yesterday. It down twice within 13 months. service center here I come 😡

• FlatBanana
    FlatBanana Member Posts: 1 New User

Just wanna say my XV340CKP (bought Q1 2021) also suffered the same fate TWICE. It just happened to me again, I saw the image fade like a curtain, left to right before my eyes. It was only one hour of usage since I turned it on this evening, and i mostly run it in eco mode. Now the blue light indicator says turned on but nothing shows up, inclusive of Acer logo. I tried restarting, and it limped to display that... and it was gone for good. I thought the first time (Aug 2021)was just a fluke but it seems now its a consistent problem with this model!

• Grixia
    Grixia Member Posts: 2 New User

Just want to add that I purchased mine at the end of April 2021 and it has failed right at the start of May 2023. So it looks like these monitors have a lifespan of 2 years, which is very disappointing.

• chromehelmit
    chromehelmit Member Posts: 1 New User

Just happened to me as well, for a monitor purchased in January 2021.

• Drogo
    Drogo Member Posts: 2 New User

same here, one month out of warranty and black screen 4 times in a couple of weeks. This time seems to be gone for good. Very disappointing.

• id3alistic
    id3alistic Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited July 2023

Hey all. I had to send it in for repair. It was still under warranty.

I'm not sure if it's because I had lightstrips plugged into the usb ports that was on almost all the time or not, but I don't do that anymore. Still using the monitor today and it's been good since the repair.

• Grixia
    Grixia Member Posts: 2 New User

Just wanted to provide an update here. My monitor had a 2 year warranty and the issue first occurred an entire one week after the warranty expired. After a few attempts through Acer's repair request system, which seems to be entirely automated, I cannot get the product repaired as it is out of warranty. If I opt to pay for the repair, I will be charged £60 upfront just for the privilege of being quoted for how much the actually repair would cost, which isn't worth it in my opinion as they will likely then quote an additional few hundred for the repair and spare parts. Instead, I've just bought a new monitor (not an Acer) and am moving on.

I hope anybody else who has this issue gets it before the warranty expires, or has better luck that I did with the repair team