Repair Bios - Black Screen of Death Aspire es15 es1-533-c9f1

JokerLN
JokerLN Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited January 2022 in Aspire Laptops
Hi, I tried to install Linux Ubuntu on my Acer Aspire es15 es1-533-c9f1 laptop. I formatted the hard drive and deleted the Bios and everything by mistake. On the reboot there was nothing and can't get it to boot up. It starts up and fan is running but the screen does not turn on.

I tried everything in this link but no luck.

"https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/539312/how-to-recover-corrupted-bios-aspire-es1-533"

When I hold Fn+Esc and press the Power button it starts up but is still not doing anything. Am I doing something wrong? Can someone please assist me?

Thanks

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Its not possible to delete the bios so dont worry! Did you install something? My bet it is the linux bootloader preventing the UEFI from starting (it happens, it shouldnt, but ive seen it before). If you remove the drive entirley can you enter the UEFI?
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @JokerLN

Just how did you delete the BIOS?
  • JokerLN

Tinkerer

Hi Leostat, okay that is good to know. I tried installing linux but did not allow me to install over windows so I took the drive out and inserted it in a external casing and formatted the drive. When I put it back it just gave the black screen.

I can view the hard drive in the external like a regular drive. Nothing seems wrong with the drive. All the boot files and everything is just gone. What can I do?
  • Leostat
    Formatted the drive how? If it has a filesystem on it and the boot flag set that will deffo cause the black screen! 

I have a feeling you will need to wipe the drive back to raw before it will play
  • JokerLN

Tinkerer

I connected it to my external casing and used my other pc to format it as ntsf format. Okay so that is why it is causing the black screen. Okay so I have to take it out again and re-format it. As what file type should I format it and will it then boot up again?
  • Leostat
    Needs to be not formatted to anything, needs to be raw . Did you quick format it? 
  • ttttt
    @JokerLN

It is impossible to boot from formatted drive without installing it. 

If you want to use Linux, I 'll recommend using a separate drive for Linux (easy to do since you have an external adpater already).

Currently, you should pay attention to recovering your Windows first before we get to the Linux part.

Go download and create a bootable Win 10 flash drive from Microsoft web site with their Media Creation Tool first.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  • Leostat
    Aye it wont boot but it should allow the bios to load / the bootloader to kick in, once thats done it should just be a case of re installing either os, there isnt a need for second drive though :) Grub plays nice with windows and will boot fine with two partitions. If it was a quick format it just erases the MFT from memory so all the flags, files, and over mcuffin is still present, so it shows as a boot drive, the UEFI is probs reading it, asking the MFT for the files, but the MFT will just not give anything back as its empty which is most likley casuing the weirdness

If the drive is raw, when installing you can just format the drive to be 50% NTFS and 50% RAW, then when isntalling your chosen nix you can just use the empty 50% without having to resive / move the partition , if you just want linux can just go straight to your distro of choice
  • ttttt
    @Leostat

Personally, I prefer separate drive for Linux to dual booting in same drive as the Linux distros cycle are more frequent and just one bad Grub  ( for my case, I do frequent Linux swapping, and I encountered some Linux distros crashing my PC) will mess up the UEFI file, affecting Windows.
  • JokerLN

Tinkerer

Hi Leostat, sorry for the late reply. Yes, I did a quick format.
  • JokerLN

Tinkerer

Hi ttttt, I made the Windows 10 bootable usb but the problem is the laptops screen is not coming on so that is the big problem.
  • JokerLN

Tinkerer

Hi Leostat, that makes sense. Let me try and format the drive again as RAW and see what happens.

I think with the Flashing of the bios I am just doing something wrong because it is not doing anything. 
  • ttttt
    @JokerLN

With the new Win 10 flash drive in, bootup the system by keep tapping the F12 key until you see the Bootmenu.

Can you see the Bootmenu?
  • JokerLN

Tinkerer

Hi ttttt, I tried it with the Win 10 flash drive but no response. Still just a black screen. I can hear it starting up and everything but the screen is not turning on.
  • ttttt
    @JokerLN

Since you said you have a black screen, let's see if you can get to the BIOS first.

1) When bootup, keep tapping the F2 key  ( or hold down the Fn key and keep tapping the F2 key), or try keep tapping the Delete key when bootup, see if that will bring you to the BIOS.

2) If the Win 10 flash drive is bootable, this time try hold down Fn key and keep tapping the F12, see if this will bring you to the Bootmenu.

Before you problems started months ago, and during bootup, you ought to see a quick message at bottom of the screen telling you which key to use for BIOS and which key is for Bootmenu. This message is very quick, you probably missed that though you saw it everyday.

Can you find a small pin hole at the bottom of your laptop? If so, you may want to use this pin hole for battery reset later.

So far, you told us that the PC did not work, but you did not tell us the steps that you performed.
  • Leostat
    I dont think the bios will load, as it may have been in fast boot mode so it panics when it reads the junk on the drive , a few people have had this bug :( (it 100% shouldnt do it)

I have a feeling the seocnd the drive isnt in you will see the bios / boot as normal
  • JokerLN

Tinkerer

Hi ttttt
    I have tried everything you said. The big problem is that after I formatted the hard drive the screen is not turning on so I can't see the quick message at the bottom of the screen. The screen does not turn on at all so it does not show anything. It does not even give me a dim display. 

Hi Leostat
    I tried it without the hard drive but still nothing.

If you guys can open this video on Youtube and see what this problem is. I have exactly the same problem but I tried to do the same but it is not working for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OkAwxcJ1Ms

Then again I tried these steps too but no luck. See link below. 
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/539312/how-to-recover-corrupted-bios-aspire-es1-533

I really hope you guys can help me. Getting frustrated with this laptop!! Thanks in advance guys.

• ttttt
    @JokerLN

When you formatted the disk, the UEFI file was erased, so it could not bootup for sure. Seemed like you could not even get to the BIOS.

Since you have not told us how you messed up the BIOS, it is hard to determine which step(s) actually went wrong. Formatting a hard disk should not mess up the BIOS.

Recently, Ace @Billsey participated in a comment on Recovering the BIOS, you can try his method for BIOS Recovery first:

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/659121/is-there-a-bios-recovery-method-for-aspire-xc-830#latest

• BND
    BND Member Posts: 72 Devotee WiFi Icon
    JokerLN said:

If you guys can open this video on Youtube and see what this problem is. I have exactly the same problem but I tried to do the same but it is not working for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OkAwxcJ1Ms

Hi! JokerLN,

do you remember if you enabled the F12 in the Bios ?
    According what you said, we are not sure your laptop boot on USB.
    there are no reason the above method doesn't work for you, unless your USB key is not in bootable format, are you also sure that your WIN10 key is bootable ?
    /
    if you are sure that you anbled the F12 key at boot and your key are bootable,
    I suggest to proceed in blind following to see what happen.
    insert you bootable key (bios update or restore either win10 usb) then start your computer maintening F12, after a while, we can suppose that you are in the boot manager menu. press the arrow down key once then hit enter key and see what happen. 
  • BND
    BND Member Posts: 72 Devotee WiFi Icon
    And did you also try to connect another screen via the HDMI port to see if you're able to see something ?