Flags page will not load Chromebook Spin 514,

Options
estrickland
estrickland Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited January 2022 in Chromebooks
I am trying to access the chrome://flags page on my Chromebook Spin 514, but all I get is a white page with a search bar and the reset all button. My OS is up to date (97.0.4692.91 as of this post). I am the original owner, and only have one account on the Chromebook. I have tried loading the page in Incognito mode, Power washed, and reinstalled the os from sd card. Any thoughts?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• estrickland

Tinkerer

Options
    Additional note, the page does load in guest mode.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi @estrickland,

Reset the browser and check or un-mark the flag page and reset it once again. 
  • estrickland

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you for the reply @Easwar. I'm not sure what you meant by "un-mark the flag page"
    Here's what I did after reading your post:
    1. reset browser settings to default
    2. open the flags page with "chrome://flags"
    3. reset the browser settings again
    This didn't help. Flags page still empty with "search flags" bar and "reset all" button.
    Then, just for fun, I tried it again putting a restart between each step.
  • Easwar
    Options
    Hi @estrickland,

Check for updates yourself

1. Turn on your Chromebook.
    2. Connect your Chromebook to Wi-Fi.
    3. At the bottom right, select the time.
    4. Select Settings .
    5. At the bottom of the left panel, select About Chrome OS.
    6. Under "Google Chrome OS," you'll find which version of the Chrome operating system your Chromebook uses.
    7. Select      Check for updates.
    8. If your Chromebook finds a software update, it will start to download automatically.​
  • estrickland

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for checking in again, @Easwar. My Chromebook is completely up-to-date and the flags page still does not load.
  • Easwar
    Options
    Hi @estrickland,

Try to Hard reset your Chromebook
    1. Turn off your Chromebook.
    2. Press and hold Refresh + tap Power .
    3. When your Chromebook starts up, release Refresh .
    https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3227606?hl=en
  • estrickland

Tinkerer

Options
    Tried the hard reset, it did nothing.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options
    Is your Chromebook in the normal consumer mode, or is it managed by an IT group?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • estrickland

Tinkerer

Options
    Unless I did something accidentally, it should be in consumer mode. I bought it at Best Buy for my own personal use. Is there a way to tell if I screwed that up?
  • billsey
    Options
    Likely not easily. It certainly should be setup with a domain or other IT related limitations. You could remove your account from the laptop then add it back in, or do the full power wash. Either of those should get the account set with full access. Which flags entry are you trying to tweak, and why?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • estrickland

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for the input. I've done a power wash on it, which didn't do it. All this started because I read about the launcher that could be updated with a flag setting, so I went to try it and couldn't.  Now it's just a matter of principle.
  • billsey
    Options
    Try logging in with a different Google account (you might have to create one) to see if the issue is with your account...
  • estrickland

Tinkerer

Options
    I logged in with another Google account and still could not load chrome://flags
  • Samuel-Acer
    Samuel-Acer Moderator Posts: 687 Moderator
    Options
    I logged in with another Google account and still could not load chrome://flags
    i know this shouldnt matter but, have you checked which channel mode the current OS is..?

Under settings check if the OS is in Stable channel.. it is always recommended to be in stable. However, if you could not access Flags in this mode. then switch to developer mode and test. (Note: if you have any data saved in local drive, i would recommend you to upload it to your drive)
  • estrickland

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for the response. It is on the stable channel.
  • estrickland

Tinkerer

Options
    Interesting. The option to change channel cannot be clicked. Is it possible it came from the factory in a managed mode?
  • billsey
    Options
    It wouldn't come from the factory in that mode, but it might from a reseller, if they primarily deal with corporate clients.
  • estrickland

Tinkerer

Options
    My Chromebook was bought at Best Buy, so that's unlikely. There is no managed device icon and my account is listed as the owner. 
  • billsey
    Options
    Yes, Best Buy handles some corporate customers, but the bulk of their clients are consumers. I'm coming up blank for the next step however. :(