Acer Predator Triton 300 SE power delivery not working

Options
f0xh0und
f0xh0und Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited January 2022 in Predator Laptops
Sorry, I know this is not the right forum for my laptop, but considering there is no forum for Acer's most powerful (and expensive) laptops... which is odd... I can only post here.

So far, I've tried charging my laptop with a 13" mbp (2016-2019) power adapter and cable (all of which that are available are rated at at least 65w...) as well as an Anker PowerCore III Elite 25600 mah 87W USB-C PD Portable Charger (in black... not like it matters).  Neither of these worked... 

So, what gives Acer?  Are y'all just lying about the power delivery capabilities of this laptop like y'all are lying about the 10 hr batt life (of which only 9 hrs can be obtained even with a brand new laptop sitting, doing nothing, on battery saver mode with the lowest brightness...)???

Best Answer

• f0xh0und

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    Leostat said:
    Aye those specs are for the barrel i think not the USBC. Steve was talking about the exact model number, it would be something like NH.QBJEM.001 or PT314-51s , that allows us to make sure we are looking at the right service guides so we dont give out wrong info!

The predator lounge is over here:
    https://community.acer.com/en/categories/predator-laptops

should support it, although im slightly confused as reviews say the 500  doesnt ( https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/acer-predator-triton-500-se ) but that one should as well. I'll raise it with acer support as that is pretty bad if it was planned and never added but wasnt removed from the spec's. DC in is mentioned in the user guide, but not the service guide under the port, but it is sort of mentioned in the port c info:

Im thinking that the user guide is wrong, it would make sense that it would be a 100w given the proc and CPU, maybe the early models tried 65 w but it caused issues? It may need something like this ( https://us.anker.com/products/a2041 ) where its 20v 5A

I will let you know what I hear back from the support, hopefully can get it sorted for you

As for the battery manufacturer's allways sugar coat it and i hate that, biggest hitters are AV and chrome, but we could check to see if there is anything else grabing the battery if you wanted :)
    Thanks, ***Anker's 65w nano works (300 SE is 65w PD).  Too bad Apple's 61w and 67 or 69 or whatever watts don't work... same goes with 80 something watts for Anker's usb c battery.  I'm sure they all have 20v profiles but because they're not exactly 3.25a or w/e they don't work.  I guess something's better than nothing.  I was able to find a portable 65w battery from ***Dell (power bank plus is the name IIRC) so hopefully that works too given the exact wattage.

Answers

• StevenGen
    Options
    f0xh0und said:
    Sorry, I know this is not the right forum for my laptop, but considering there is no forum for Acer's most powerful (and expensive) laptops... which is odd... I can only post here.

So far, I've tried charging my laptop with a 13" mbp (2016-2019) power adapter and cable (all of which that are available are rated at at least 65w...) as well as an Anker PowerCore III Elite 25600 mah 87W USB-C PD Portable Charger (in black... not like it matters).  Neither of these worked... 

So, what gives Acer?  Are y'all just lying about the power delivery capabilities of this laptop like y'all are lying about the 10 hr batt life (of which only 9 hrs can be obtained even with a brand new laptop sitting, doing nothing, on battery saver mode with the lowest brightness...)???

I don’t know your exact Predator Triton 300 SE model number as you haven’t stated it? But, using a "65w...) as well as an Anker PowerCore III Elite 25600 mah 87W" is way too low of an adaptor/charger as they are not adequate chargers for your Predator Triton 300 SE. Most Predator Triton 300 and 500 suitable adaptor/chargers require an output of 19V /7.1A/135W and a Connector Size: 5.5 x 1.7mm (External & Internal Diameter) and need that sort of an adaptor/charger or even higher to work like the exsample below of the adaptor/charger specs for the Predator Helios 300 PH315-53. Bottom line you are using the wrong adaptor/charger.

• f0xh0und

Tinkerer

Options
    StevenGen said:
    f0xh0und said:

I don’t know your exact Predator Triton 300 SE model number as you haven’t stated it? But, using a "65w...) as well as an Anker PowerCore III Elite 25600 mah 87W" is way too low of an adaptor/charger as they are not adequate chargers for your Predator Triton 300 SE. Most Predator Triton 300 and 500 suitable adaptor/chargers require an output of 19V /7.1A/135W and a Connector Size: 5.5 x 1.7mm (External & Internal Diameter) and need that sort of an adaptor/charger or even higher to work like the exsample below of the adaptor/charger specs for the Predator Helios 300 PH315-53. Bottom line you are using the wrong adaptor/charger.

Model's in the post title.  Also, you're getting the AC adapter and the USB C PD mixed up.  USB C PD should be at least 65w (20v) per the manual.  In case the mbp adapter (USB C PD) was too "Appley"/oddly-proprietary in some way, the Anker battery was not.  Saw 20v output right on it...
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    Aye those specs are for the barrel i think not the USBC. Steve was talking about the exact model number, it would be something like NH.QBJEM.001 or PT314-51s , that allows us to make sure we are looking at the right service guides so we dont give out wrong info!

should support it, although im slightly confused as reviews say the 500  doesnt ( https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/acer-predator-triton-500-se ) but that one should as well. I'll raise it with acer support as that is pretty bad if it was planned and never added but wasnt removed from the spec's. DC in is mentioned in the user guide, but not the service guide under the port, but it is sort of mentioned in the port c info:

Im thinking that the user guide is wrong, it would make sense that it would be a 100w given the proc and CPU, maybe the early models tried 65 w but it caused issues? It may need something like this ( https://us.anker.com/products/a2041 ) where its 20v 5A

I will let you know what I hear back from the support, hopefully can get it sorted for you

As for the battery manufacturer's allways sugar coat it and i hate that, biggest hitters are AV and chrome, but we could check to see if there is anything else grabing the battery if you wanted :)
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi @f0xh0und,

# Try to update the battery driver

1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option battery.
    4. Under the title battery.
    Update Battery Drivers in Windows EASILY - Driver Easy
    5. Right click on that option ----> Update all driver under the title battery.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
  • f0xh0und

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    Leostat said:

Thanks, ***Anker's 65w nano works (300 SE is 65w PD).  Too bad Apple's 61w and 67 or 69 or whatever watts don't work... same goes with 80 something watts for Anker's usb c battery.  I'm sure they all have 20v profiles but because they're not exactly 3.25a or w/e they don't work.  I guess something's better than nothing.  I was able to find a portable 65w battery from ***Dell (power bank plus is the name IIRC) so hopefully that works too given the exact wattage.
  • jrj2020
    jrj2020 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Hi @f0xh0und - did you manage to find a power bank that charges the Predator Triton 300 SE through USB C? Battery life on the move is pretty atrocious after only 6 months of having the laptop, looking for a solution for flights. Thx!
  • jrj2020
    Options
    If anyone else digs up this thread whilst looking for info about USB C charging for the Acer Predator 300 SE - I found that this power bank works: https://www.blitzwolfeurope.com/Veger-T65A-quick-charger-PD65W-laptop-power-bank

Windows shows a yellow exclamation mark when charging, but it works. A full power bank gives around 50% extra juice to the laptop whilst doing day to day work with the screen on full brightness (e.g. on a plane). 
  • jrj2020
    Options
    Update: The above 65w charger is fine for word docs, internet etc., but when I play a game it stops charging. I recently got a 100w power bank which still charges when gaming: https://www.amazon.co.uk/26800mAh-Portable-Charger-Charging【Quick-Delivery】External/dp/B08DNCLSZN/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8